Are you happy we hired Kim English as our Head Coach?

Are you happy we hired Kim English as the GMU Head Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Need More Time to Tell

Votes: 24 31.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Face it guys. Mason hoops fans are delusional. You had one good run thru the NCAA’s. Nothing before or since. You’re in the A10 now and you will always be mediocre because you can’t compete recruiting the Delmarva vs the likes of Maryland, UVA, Vtech, GW, Georgetown to say the least.
Right, because those teams have never missed on a player or evaluation of talent and there's certainly not enough basketball talent in the DMV to produce quality players for more than like 5 schools. Got it.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Don't know who you are (but apparently you know Dave Paulsen for 9 years from your other post many moons ago) or what your MO is to come on here and bash us. I guess you were just bored?

If you are a Bucknell fan, I'm sorry your program went in the toilet since Dave left, but perhaps he can go back and do well for you again. Dane Fischer will probably be available too.
I dunno I think he raises a good point. We're always talking recruiting "Delmarva" since we pull a lot of talent from Dagsboro, DE, Denton, MD, and Exmore, VA. Everyone on the boards is "Delmarva" this and "Delmarva" that. Might as well rename us "Delmarva Hoops."

FreeGunston12

All-American
Face it guys. Mason hoops fans are delusional. You had one good run thru the NCAA’s. Nothing before or since. You’re in the A10 now and you will always be mediocre because you can’t compete recruiting the Delmarva vs the likes of Maryland, UVA, Vtech, GW, Georgetown to say the least.
Delusional? This guy does know that our wildest dreams cap out at this every year, right?

1677709047288.png

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Delusional? This guy does know that our wildest dreams cap out at this every year, right?

View attachment 1670
Jokes aside there is so much acrid sentiment tossed around on these boards that you'd literally have to be coming here to troll to miss how obviously we as a fan base do not have any delusions about our program or what we've been for the past 10 years.

Very lazy, low-effort troll. Sad!

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I know things have changed dramatically with NIL and immediate transfers, but I'd love to see him get to a place with lower annual turnover and developing recruits.

Main concern is that his pipeline of transfers (Colorado and Tennessee) will dry up soon and we can't compete on cash.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know things have changed dramatically with NIL and immediate transfers, but I'd love to see him get to a place with lower annual turnover and developing recruits.

Main concern is that his pipeline of transfers (Colorado and Tennessee) will dry up soon and we can't compete on cash.
i agree in part but as/if his coaching stature increases and the GMU program moves forward that will bring a new pipeline of potential transfers

we have 3 freshmen incoming to replace 3 leaving grad transfers
i expect any other openings to be filled with transfers filling specific roles/goals/needs

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I think CKE is going to get it done, but I won't know for sure until he does.

And getting it done means winning championships, getting into the tournament, and winning a game or two in the tournament at least a third of the time.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

i agree in part but as/if his coaching stature increases and the GMU program moves forward but will bring a new pipeline of potential transfers

we have 3 freshmen incoming to replace 3 leaving grad transfers
i expect any other openings to be filled with transfers filling specific roles/goals/needs
I'm not worried about this. As much as this might dry up, there are always new pipelines and connections that coaches have to get guys whether its a "I recruited this guy, he went elsewhere but now hes in the portal" or "My coach at xyz school mentioned this kid is a good fit"

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think CKE is going to get it done, but I won't know for sure until he does.

And getting it done means winning championships, getting into the tournament, and winning a game or two in the tournament at least a third of the time.
Yes, 5 in a row is great. 6 in a row and at least one tourney win would be terrific.
Still, after all these years of meh, I'm still holding my breath.
BUT, having said that, I am definitely pumped right now.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not worried about this. As much as this might dry up, there are always new pipelines and connections that coaches have to get guys whether its a "I recruited this guy, he went elsewhere but now hes in the portal" or "My coach at xyz school mentioned this kid is a good fit"
And based on the fact that the staff is still actively recruiting 3 players in the HS Class of 2023, it appears Kim is looking to start building much more around 4-year players than transfers. That’s a good sign.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
And based on the fact that the staff is still actively recruiting 3 players in the HS Class of 2023, it appears Kim is looking to start building much more around 4-year players than transfers. That’s a good sign.
For sure. Its almost like somewhat of a "reboot" recruiting wise. We might need to have patience at times if we go young for a year or two. However, based off how he is recruiting and coaching, the learning curve won't be as sharp and we'll hopefully be able to continue. Also bringing back the existing experience will help as well.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
For sure. Its almost like somewhat of a "reboot" recruiting wise. We might need to have patience at times if we go young for a year or two. However, based off how he is recruiting and coaching, the learning curve won't be as sharp and we'll hopefully be able to continue. Also bringing back the existing experience will help as well.
Yep if Ticket comes back along with Malik, Ronnie and Ginika, we’ll have a core of 4 seniors to handle the leadership transition for next season. After that it’s Justyn’s team and we’ll hopefully be in a more normal development cycle augmented by transfers when needed.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

This is what I was getting to. Want to see him develop recruits vs transfer portal. I'm okay with a 75-25 split, to be clear. But I think long-term success is development within the program.

OP
TweederGMU

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yep if Ticket comes back along with Malik, Ronnie and Ginika, we’ll have a core of 4 seniors to handle the leadership transition for next season. After that it’s Justyn’s team and we’ll hopefully be in a more normal development cycle augmented by transfers when needed.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxC_6VFpzWg

I don't like how he breaks down his new journey after basketball. Sounds like he could be gone according to this or either he is just going through the motions since its senior night and is going to trick us all and come back!

But.... not liking the verbiage in this video

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxC_6VFpzWg

I don't like how he breaks down his new journey after basketball. Sounds like he could be gone according to this or either he is just going through the motions since its senior night and is going to trick us all and come back!

But.... not liking the verbiage in this video

Look at my post in the 2023 recruiting thread about his tweet. You might change your mind about his verbiage.

OP
TweederGMU

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Look at my post in the 2023 recruiting thread about his tweet. You might change your mind about his verbiage.
Yea just saw it.... seems this was before today's tweet.

That tweet brings hope to the empire! Thinking he may come back after all.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Yea just saw it.... seems this was before today's tweet.

That tweet brings hope to the empire! Thinking he may come back after all.
Or he will use his remaining eligibility elsewhere. The coaches are still out there recruiting 23 prospects, so some scholarships are coming from somewhere.

I have no clue what is happening, but that tweet could've just as easily been a signal to other programs - "hey, recruit me". Time will tell.