A-10 Previews

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
I suspect that more and more previews will come out since the conf. schedule has been released.

https://www.a10talk.com/ranking-the-top-100-atlantic-10-basketball-players-for-the-2019-20-season/

11. Justin Kier | George Mason | Sr.

Perhaps one of the biggest surprises in the Atlantic 10 last season, Justin Kier made the sophomore-to-junior jump from 11.0 PPG to 14.5 PPG and grabbed an extra 2 rebounds per game as well. While Otis Livingston II was still the quarterback of the 2018-19 squad, Kier began filling that role more and more as the season progressed. I’d argue that with 4 straight double-doubles to start A-10 play, Kier was in the mix to win POY in the conference if the Patriots had finished a bit higher and the junior had a few more key performances against the league’s best opponents. A lot of weight will fall on Kier’s shoulders in 2019-20. He’s the returning leading scorer and 2nd best rebounder as well. With Javon Greene and Jordan Miller looking to take steps up in 2019-20, the Patriots may have a shot at turning some heads this year.

27. Jordan Miller | George Mason | So.

I think I may be higher than most on Jordan Miller, but the sophomore is due for a breakout season, especially with all of the talent George Mason is losing. Originally a redshirt, Miller got his GMU debut halfway through last season against Rhode Island, a game where Miller would tally 14 points on 6/7 shooting with 2 blocks and 2 steals, helping the Patriots get an impressive 84-67 road win over Rhode Island. Sneakily, Jordan Miller had the 2nd best offensive rating in the conference, shot 67.4% from 2 point range, and proved to be very aggressive on the glass, especially on the offensive end. I think Miller is the best-kept secret in the A-10 entering 2019-20 and could rival Justin Kier for GMU’s best player.

36. Javon Greene | George Mason | Jr.

I think there’s a chance I’m really underweighting Javon Greene given the opportunities he’ll have his junior season. As the new go-to guard, Greene has big shoes to fill and could make a big leap in his junior season. It’s likely that he and Jamal Hartwell II share duties at the 1 and 2 depending on progression throughout the year. Greene had some big performances last year, dropping 21 on La Salle followed by 17 on Massachusetts in back-to-back wins. Greene had the best free throw shooting percentage in the conference last season (94.7% in A-10 play) and is really at his best when attacking the rim and looking for contact. I think Greene has a lot of room to grow, and we’ll likely see him progress throughout 2019-20.

48. Goanar Mar | George Mason | Jr.

Due to injury, Mar’s contributions were pretty limited his sophomore season; however, his freshman campaigning was a glimpse into what should be a promising future. Averaging 10.9 PPG in his first year, Mar was a solid scoring option and even flashed the ability to knock down the three. He’s effective at getting to the free throw line when he attacks the basket as well; Mar took 128 free throws his freshman season. Mar’s progression will be very important to GMU’s success in 2019-20. Even before getting injured, the sophomore really struggled from the floor in non-conference play, shooting less than 30% from the floor. That’s not good. If he can bounce back from a bit of a sophomore slump and play like he did freshman year, he’ll be a real difference-maker for Dave Paulsen this year.

Hartwell is 66th, Boyd is 70th, Calixte is 77th, and AJ is 91st.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The 18 year old Davidson kid who wrote this list and the paragraphs for each player should be stoned to death... (not really talking about our player rankings as much as some of the others)

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I was expecting a small step back this season but the more I think about it and drink the off season Kool-aid, the more I like this team.

Front court depth is going to be an issue and I think we'll miss Reuter against those wide-body guys like Hasahn French but w/his absence I think Calixte gets more minutes and takes that next step.

I love the mismatches Kier creates and if Miller has added some weight, could be an even bigger problem for opposing teams. Just a shame that Grayer wasn't able to overcome whatever he had going on and make it back for a redshirt - would've been a hell of a 3-Headed monster in the front court.

I expect Mar to have a bounce back year and for some reason think this is the year AJ breaks out too.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
Tier 3--the CBI/CIT tier.

''Paulsen is one of the better coaches in this league, so it wouldn’t shock me to see an improvement from Mason in 2019-20.''

I hope they either take 2 steps forward or a big steps backwards.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Tier 3--the CBI/CIT tier.

''Paulsen is one of the better coaches in this league, so it wouldn’t shock me to see an improvement from Mason in 2019-20.''

I hope they either take 2 steps forward or a big steps backwards.

I mean, I’m sure we could have been in either of those tournaments last year if we wanted to be... so agreed. Either we make the NIT at a minimum or it’s a bomb disaster and Edwards has to make a move, that makes the most sense.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
One thing to note, Mar got to 215 in the offseason and AJ is listed at 210 this year ( was 201 last year). They should be able to hold their own at the four, so I’m not as concerned about “size” at the 4 and 5.

Last year, it was Miller at the 4 and he was about 20 pounds lighter than AJ is this year. Reuter’s lack of speed was also a killer on the interior.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I mean, I’m sure we could have been in either of those tournaments last year if we wanted to be... so agreed. Either we make the NIT at a minimum or it’s a bomb disaster and Edwards has to make a move, that makes the most sense.

That's what I want--a situation where Edwards has to make a move, one way or another. GMU is sitting like a 6-7-8 seed in an NBA conference. Decent enough to make the playoffs but not moving up or getting into the lottery, and therefore just middling.

FreeGunston12

All-American
As much as ball handling and replacing Otis is a concern to keep us out of the lower tier of the conference, I think Mar holds the key to perhaps overachieving. If he becomes a factor and a leader on this team, we could be pretty dangerous, deep, and balanced. I'm not saying that he is the most important player on the team or anything like that, but I just really think he will determine our ceiling.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
That's what I want--a situation where Edwards has to make a move, one way or another. GMU is sitting like a 6-7-8 seed in an NBA conference. Decent enough to make the playoffs but not moving up or getting into the lottery, and therefore just middling.

New prez will have to decide this. Edwards inlcuded.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
As much as ball handling and replacing Otis is a concern to keep us out of the lower tier of the conference, I think Mar holds the key to perhaps overachieving. If he becomes a factor and a leader on this team, we could be pretty dangerous, deep, and balanced. I'm not saying that he is the most important player on the team or anything like that, but I just really think he will determine our ceiling.

I think it’s Miller. Because if Mar is ineffective, we can try AJ at his spot or Miller can play there too and we just “go small” for another year.

But if Miller can transition to the wing and play well there, that’s going to open up a ton of options for us and make us harder to defend and score against.

Herndon

All-Conference

I genuinely do not understand this mindset.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
One thing to note, Mar got to 215 in the offseason and AJ is listed at 210 this year ( was 201 last year). They should be able to hold their own at the four, so I’m not as concerned about “size” at the 4 and 5.

Last year, it was Miller at the 4 and he was about 20 pounds lighter than AJ is this year. Reuter’s lack of speed was also a killer on the interior.
you're seriously not concerned that we do not have a backup center? or that AJ will be forced into that role yet again when everyone but Paulsen realizes he isn't a center and shouldn't be playing there? We have a bunch of 3's and 4's and no 5... Calixte is good but damn Paulsen put a ton of pressure on him yet again by not grabbing a GT big man like we needed. (yes plenty of proven RS SRs that went to programs of our equivalence)

FreeGunston12

All-American
I think it’s Miller. Because if Mar is ineffective, we can try AJ at his spot or Miller can play there too and we just “go small” for another year.

But if Miller can transition to the wing and play well there, that’s going to open up a ton of options for us and make us harder to defend and score against.
I have the same thinking. I guess I’m just taking it for granted that we can deal without an effective Mar if we have to. Miller or AJ can fill in.

But like you said, if Mar can be effective in that 4 spot. Then it totally frees up the rotation. AJ can mix in at the 5. Miller can mix in at the 3. That would give us some really interesting versatility. So I agree with you, but for those same reasons think the key is Mar.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
you're seriously not concerned that we do not have a backup center? or that AJ will be forced into that role yet again when everyone but Paulsen realizes he isn't a center and shouldn't be playing there? We have a bunch of 3's and 4's and no 5... Calixte is good but damn Paulsen put a ton of pressure on him yet again by not grabbing a GT big man like we needed. (yes plenty of proven RS SRs that went to programs of our equivalence)

I mean, it depends on how much Oduro can give us his freshman year, right? AJ isn’t a 5 but he can play there if he has to so long as it’s not long-term. If Calixte gets hurt, we are definitely screwed unless Oduro turns out to be a revelation.

The one thing we don’t have is a lot of versatility on the front line. It of teams have 4s who can also play the 5 if need be and we really don’t have that (AJ is the closest thing we have, but I really don’t want to see him there for more than 5 minutes a game).

Definitely a concern, but it isn’t dire.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It is dire what do we have at 5 a good defender who is a 41% free throw shooter

Mike Moe shot 39.4% his junior year (I do believe we had the longest winning streak in the country that season). Moe was more athletic than Calixte is now, but that’s what he was, a strong defender, a good rebounder, and an awful FT shooter (his shot looked about as dire as Calixte’s did last year).

If we have to, we put our five best FT shooters on the floor at the same time and do offense-defense substitutions.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Mike Moe shot 39.4% his junior year (I do believe we had the longest winning streak in the country that season). Moe was more athletic than Calixte is now, but that’s what he was, a strong defender, a good rebounder, and an awful FT shooter (his shot looked about as dire as Calixte’s did last year).

If we have to, we put our five best FT shooters on the floor at the same time and do offense-defense substitutions.
If it is truly this simple why is it so hard for Paulsen?