299 Days of English

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Nate Tomlinson Tweet

Not a quote from CKE, directly, but has the same feel of the responses we get from English. I love how our current coaches talk. They take ownership as a team for the results (or lack thereof). They don't just lay it on the players not doing what they told them to, or underperforming, etc. Ultimately, the results will be the final judge of their effectiveness, and I have confidence the results will come because they have the right attitude/approach (in addition to their other coaching skills).

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It makes sense, though, because English and Neptune are both first-year head coaches with exactly 0 coaching accomplishments so far. So do you pay them 1.5 million as a gamble they’re going to do what Archie Miller or Frank Martin or Anthony Grant has done?

Also, where did they get that number for Schmidt? Is that a new contract he signed. That’s about twice what was reported when I went looking.

Edit: to also say Archie Miller was making about 500k at Dayton before he got them that Elite 8 run and then his salary skyrocketed to about 1.2 million. That’s what I would expect to happen if English gets into the tournament.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
It makes sense, though, because English and Neptune are both first-year head coaches with exactly 0 coaching accomplishments so far. So do you pay them 1.5 million as a gamble they’re going to do what Archie Miller or Frank Martin or Anthony Grant has done?

Also, where did they get that number for Schmidt? Is that a new contract he signed. That’s about twice what was reported when I went looking.

Edit: to also say Archie Miller was making about 500k at Dayton before he got them that Elite 8 run and then his salary skyrocketed to about 1.2 million. That’s what I would expect to happen if English gets into the tournament.

Mark Blaudschun

@blauds

Sources: Bonaventure making last ditch effort to keep schmidt, coming up with a matching $1.8 million a year offer. Decision must be made in next 24 hours.

2:00 PM · Mar 23, 2022·Twitter

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

i wonder if there has been any serious cost benefit analysis in terms of the value of a/the college basketball team

team budget
vs
income streams - ticket sales, tv contract money, advertisement, merchandise sales, tournament revenues
and the non monetary items
increase in college applications
name recognition /value
increase in university status
increase in alumni giving
increase in corporate giving
etc, etc

Pablo

Hall of Famer
This guy made 15 guarantees about the UMass search and 99.9% were wrong so I’m guessing Schmidt isn’t getting paid 1.8

"Schmidt was mentioned among the candidates for the vacant Boston College position last season and again this season for the opening at the University of Massachusetts. When the Minutemen administration offered Schmidt to double his current salary to $1.8 million per season, St. Bonaventure upped its ante for the North Attleboro native and matched the offer."

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

"Schmidt was mentioned among the candidates for the vacant Boston College position last season and again this season for the opening at the University of Massachusetts. When the Minutemen administration offered Schmidt to double his current salary to $1.8 million per season, St. Bonaventure upped its ante for the North Attleboro native and matched the offer."

I probably wouldn't move to Olean, NY for any less than that

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Wow. That’s a good piece of business there.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Travis Ford is the highest paid coach in the A10! 2.5million....WOW! 112-77 record with his tenure at St. Louis.

Where in the hell does St. Louis get the money to pay him, must be all that Catholic money. St. Louis has around 8,000 students. We have quadruple the amount of students yet pay one of the lowest salaries. Darrell Green needs to go fundraise.... shiiiiit.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Travis Ford is the highest paid coach in the A10! 2.5million....WOW! 112-77 record with his tenure at St. Louis.

Where in the hell does St. Louis get the money to pay him, must be all that Catholic money. St. Louis has around 8,000 students. We have quadruple the amount of students yet pay one of the lowest salaries. Darrell Green needs to go fundraise.... shiiiiit.
SLU wants to go to the Big East. The Big East told them that they had to invest more in men's hoops before they'd be considered and Ford's salary shows they are moving in that direction. But yeah, I was surprised he was getting that much.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Beer Money/Profits

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Whats troubling with that salary list is where Mason stands. I hope they have some money ready for KE. I also hope they have learned from the past mistakes of being cheap.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Whats troubling with that salary list is where Mason stands. I hope they have some money ready for KE. I also hope they have learned from the past mistakes of being cheap.
150% agree. They have to know that the 925k plus incentives is the absolute floor for English. Even more than when they got him last year considering what Martin and Miller got.

Fortunately Dr Washington and Brad are not stupid because if they dont pony up and get him more inline with A10 coaches when he improves the program, he will waltz away very very fast.

Masonfan3

Starter
150% agree. They have to know that the 925k plus incentives is the absolute floor for English. Even more than when they got him last year considering what Martin and Miller got.

Fortunately Dr Washington and Brad are not stupid because if they dont pony up and get him more inline with A10 coaches when he improves the program, he will waltz away very very fast.

You are right they aren’t stupid but CKE is paid what he should be right now. Miller and Martin have been to multiple NCAA tournaments, each has been to an elite 8, and Martin to the final 4. CKE has the potential to be on that level but he hasn’t come close to proving it…yet.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You are right they aren’t stupid but CKE is paid what he should be right now. Miller and Martin have been to multiple NCAA tournaments, each has been to an elite 8, and Martin to the final 4. CKE has the potential to be on that level but he hasn’t come close to proving it…yet.
No disagreement from me. He is paid well because of where he is right now in his career.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I love the free market. When I see someone complain that a professional athlete makes 100x what a teacher does, my response is that what a professional athlete can do is about 10,000x as rare and in-demand as what that teacher can do too.

That said, he's 32 and making 7 figures after other incentives and sponsorships. Beats digging ditches.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD_1Z8iUDho

This isn’t exactly true. There are 1,000s of athletes who can do what they do, but there is a supply problem. It’s like long snappers. There are exactly 32 spots open for long snappers in the NFL. Hundreds of athletes who COULD do it but never get the chance. A lot of skill and dedication needed to make it to the brightest level, but a lot of luck and timing too.

Also, Amazon delivery drivers make more than a lot of starting teachers…