299 Days of English

By George.

Starter
As the honeymoon comes to a close, I think it’s time to think critically of English’s job so far. On our latest podcast, he gave us a window into his recruiting process of Mason players who entered the portal.

He said something along the lines of - he spent a week recruiting Oduro, Kolek and Miller. He then spent the following week treating them like players, inviting them to practice, work and communicate with the team. After that 2nd week, it was on the players to let him know what direction they wanted to go. He was open and honest with the players about this approach and said on the show, “yes players are in the portal but coaches are too.” He wanted to know their decision so he didn’t miss out on guys in the portal. He didn’t mention seniors that have transferred.

Don’t want to pose this question on social media but am curious about others thoughts. Did his approach bomb, considering 2 left? Do we even care? Is the honeymoon still going on? What do you think about this specific part of the episode? He shows some vulnerability and we appreciate it.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
As the honeymoon comes to a close, I think it’s time to think critically of English’s job so far. On our latest podcast, he gave us a window into his recruiting process of Mason players who entered the portal.

He said something along the lines of - he spent a week recruiting Oduro, Kolek and Miller. He then spent the following week treating them like players, inviting them to practice, work and communicate with the team. After that 2nd week, it was on the players to let him know what direction they wanted to go. He was open and honest with the players about this approach and said on the show, “yes players are in the portal but coaches are too.” He wanted to know their decision so he didn’t miss out on guys in the portal. He didn’t mention seniors that have transferred.

Don’t want to pose this question on social media but am curious about others thoughts. Did his approach bomb, considering 2 left? Do we even care? Is the honeymoon still going on? What do you think about this specific part of the episode? He shows some vulnerability and we appreciate it.
Sounds like he was open, honest, and gave them a reasonable amount of time to respond. No one can ask for more than that. Kolek and Miller have chosen their paths. Time will tell if it was the correct one. I am confident that we will dance before Miami or Marquette does.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
On our latest podcast, English says the roster for the 21/22 season is final. This should curb the Hartwell/XJ transfer portal discussion but I guess ya never know.

listen to the show for more English

It’s a long summer. You never know when someone might realize he’s not in the rotation and enter the portal in search of playing time. Going forward I’d be reluctant to say the roster is “set” ever again.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I think his approach was fine. He knows the environment with the free year, being the new coach etc. Sure Kolek and Miller left, but as much as they practiced together, maybe they wanted to try something new. For me personally and I'm sure most, thats perfectly fine. We've all changed jobs at some point, so its probably similar to that.

KAOriginal

All-American

I have no doubt that they liked English. What's not to like?

But like anybody in the real world....a better "offer" came calling. I can understand Miami for Miller, just because its the ACC and its Florida. Kolek, just as much it was considered a move up to Marquette, Im willing to bet it was more about Paulsen being gone.

What's odd? I would have had Kolek at Miami and Miller at Marquette given the choices and knowing the coaches.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It's always possible that it backfired with Kolek and Miller. You just never know who different people will react to certain circumstances, approaches, etc., but 1) if you have to spend too much time wooing a kid, you're using valuable time that you could be using recruiting another player and thus miss out on both players, and 2) if you have to spend that much time on a kid, he probably doesn't want to be at your school anyway.
It's best to give them the facts from the get-go, stick to them, and move on.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
This photo of our sweaty coach in front of the practice facility Final Four banner needs to be included in every email, text, tweet and mailing the staff sends to potential recruits!

177393227_5597652516941352_3418152530275653632_n.jpg

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He prefaced his s statement by saying that he has good relationship with a lot of players so he's very confident that he can recruit. There's no problem at all with Kolek and Miller. They both thought they could do better elsewhere. On the flip side English thinks he can do just fine replacing them. I think he did just that.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He prefaced his s statement by saying that he has good relationship with a lot of players so he's very confident that he can recruit. There's no problem at all with Kolek and Miller. They both thought they could do better elsewhere. On the flip side English thinks he can do just fine replacing them. I think he did just that.
I believe the direct quote was: “players can be in the portal, but so can coaches.”

Sounds like Kolek was leaving the second Paulsen was fired. I’m not sure what Miller’s situation was, but I don’t think we can begrudge a player for wanting to try out playing in the ACC.

English also said Oduro was his top priority, because 6’10 skilled forwards with high basketball IQ don’t just drop into your lap.

Last edited:

By George.

Starter
Basically agree with everyone but we were really hoping to keep 2 of 3 of Oduro, Kolek and Miller. Interesting to hear his strategy behind recruiting them. It’s great insight.

Thinking about the transfer portal, I never really assumed the benefit for the coach/program, always thought it solely benefited the player but maybe that was just because of DP. Judging from our interview, this staff has a pretty detailed database for recruiting. Would love if Blake Jones is a PAC12 player.

He15man

Starter
No issue with the approach. At some point English has to stop kissing existing players butts and make them decide if they’re in or out. No player is good enough to hold a coach and program hostage for an indefinite amount of time. There are lots of good players out there, English knew it, so if the current guys didn’t feel what he was putting down after seven straight days, then ya gotta move on.