299 Days of English

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Here's the last thing I'll say, it just concerns me A BIT, that as a former NBA guy and rockstar on twitter he MAY care a little more about having a connection to that league and a little less than actually winning college basketball games. He can get guys to the NBA without winning all that much at the college level...

This is an awful take. I mean, really, really bad.

You should be embarrassed. (& then go delete it)

phoenix-arizona

All-American
Amen. English might have everyone excited, resulting in big expectations for what's to come. But he's still human. I use this analogy simply because i'm a Gator football fan... but even Urban Meyer needed a year to get everything up and running in Gainesville. His first year in the Swamp was a very ugly/lucky 9-3. The following year is when Leak and Tebow turned UF football into what it became. But anyway... even coaching savants like Meyer can't be expected to work miracles overnight.

Having Ole Ball Coach come before him certainly gave Meyer a good foundation to build upon, winning tradition wise.

Last edited:

KAOriginal

All-American
You bunch of f*cking Karens.

We've had a dumpster fire for half a decade and a snooze fest for the other half. We haven't sniffed a conference anything. Spent countless hours hoping kids we won out on over Mary Washington University or some D2 school would "be the difference maker."

Now we get a young coach who actually played big time college hoops, was straight drafted into the NBA (no invite, no G League, no 10 day contract) and assisted at P5s to start his coaching career. And so he brings a whole new vibe to this program that we have never seen before....because we haven't had anything like him.

And all I hear is my ex mother in law's scratchy whiney voice..."he might be worried about the NBA too much."

I say turn in your season tickets, your man card and go watch NOVA CC basketball or follow Paulsen to wherever he lands so you can be "comfortable."

It's a new world for Mason basketball. You want to win? You want to make noise? Finally want to be respected in DC College hoops, make the local news more or just be cooler than vcu for a change?

Then you got to fight for the kids who can make a difference. And that is what he's doing......

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

We've had a dumpster fire for half a decade and a snooze fest for the other half. We haven't sniffed a conference anything. Spent countless hours hoping kids we won out on over Mary Washington University or some D2 school would "be the difference maker."

Now we get a young coach who actually played big time college hoops, was straight drafted into the NBA (no invite, no G League, no 10 day contract) and assisted at P5s to start his coaching career. And so he brings a whole new vibe to this program that we have never seen before....because we haven't had anything like him.

And all I hear is my ex mother in law's scratchy whiney voice..."he might be worried about the NBA too much."

I say turn in your season tickets, your man card and go watch NOVA CC basketball or follow Paulsen to wherever he lands so you can be "comfortable."

It's a new world for Mason basketball. You want to win? You want to make noise? Finally want to be respected in DC College hoops, make the local news more or just be cooler than vcu for a change?

Then you got to fight for the kids who can make a difference. And that is what he's doing......
Sign me right the hell up. What you are hearing is the last hoopla from the old guard. College basketball is changing FAST. Either get on board, or get outta the way. I’m on board with what he’s trying to do, and I think it’s going to pay dividends in our recruiting.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

I literally punched a hole in my office wall reading this. Spot on sir --- spot on.

He15man

Starter
Mason basketball is fun to track and (likely) watch again. His experience and youth is probably going to result in more creative, dynamic play on the court as well. I don't for a second believe we'll see NBA caliber play, but I think we'll see NBA-like "flash" to what we do which will make it fun for spectators and students to watch. He'll need to let the kids play with that flashy, pick-up style on occasion so our student section can create a loud, advantageous environment.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

PREACH BROTHER!!!! TESTIFY!!!!!

aa5042bc676a5d8a4643aa0af203cb5e.gif

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Mason basketball is fun to track and (likely) watch again. His experience and youth is probably going to result in more creative, dynamic play on the court as well. I don't for a second believe we'll see NBA caliber play, but I think we'll see NBA-like "flash" to what we do which will make it fun for spectators and students to watch. He'll need to let the kids play with that flashy, pick-up style on occasion so our student section can create a loud, advantageous environment.

Not to mention he is a great communicator and is telegenic. He has charisma. That is important for a program too. He can lead young men and garner their loyalty and effort.

He15man

Starter
Not to mention he is a great communicator and is telegenic. He has charisma. That is important for a program too. He can lead young men and garner their loyalty and effort.
100%. I don't want to crown him before he coaches a single game, but I really believe we finally have a head coach worthy of being spoken in the same sentence as Coach L.

KAOriginal

All-American
100%. I don't want to crown him before he coaches a single game, but I really believe we finally have a head coach worthy of being spoken in the same sentence as Coach L.

Way too soon to crown him. He's delivered 50% of the job at this point....excitement and hope. We will see what happens when the ball gets tipped for the other 50%.

That being said, he's already done more to move the needle on Mason Basketball imaging than an entire athletic department full of "professionals" has in a decade.

That's worth something.

Dawgs99

Starter
I think you have to give the athletic department some credit as well. Since the hiring of CKE, it really does seem like they have stepped up their social media game. I mean if you are going to paying CKE a shade under a mil, you better get your shit together. Haven't been this excited for Mason basketball in a decade. Hell I might even rejoin the gold room so I can talk shit to Sleeper face to face..... LFG!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think you have to give the athletic department some credit as well. Since the hiring of CKE, it really does seem like they have stepped up their social media game. I mean if you are going to paying CKE a shade under a mil, you better get your shit together. Haven't been this excited for Mason basketball in a decade. LFG!

I actually thought the AD's social media had started to step up its game about two years ago. It really seemed like, starting with the Cayman Island Classic wins, we started to get a lot better content. I think the English hire probably also inspired whoever is running content over at the AD.

ephoops

Starter
I also believe he comes across very well to the parents of high school players. When he’s in someone’s living room, I can see a player’s mother and father saying that they want their son to play for KE.

KAOriginal

All-American
I think you have to give the athletic department some credit as well. Since the hiring of CKE, it really does seem like they have stepped up their social media game. I mean if you are going to paying CKE a shade under a mil, you better get your shit together. Haven't been this excited for Mason basketball in a decade. Hell I might even rejoin the gold room so I can talk shit to Sleeper face to face..... LFG!

Yep I give them credit like I give my my employee who shows up at 4:45p for his 9a to 5p shift, brought donuts for everybody and is excited about going to happy hour with us after work.