2023 Recruiting

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
How quickly people forget we were losing our prized 2 star prospects to Canisius and Loyola just 16 months ago.

Holy Shnike....are we agreeing on something????

1655309237370.jpeg

Masonfan3

Starter
A huge fail?

We lost a top 100 kid to an ACC program. That we were even in it down to the wire seems like a pretty big deal considering where our program has been the last dozen years.

It is a huge fail for CKE. He has said he wanted to get top talent from the DMV and he lost out on one of his top targets/priorities to the worst program in the ACC. Losing out on Carlton doesn't mean CKE can't recruit but in this instance he failed. If you were to ask him he would say the same thing. People need to stop living in the past and using the "where our program has been" as an excuse. Our staff has high expectations and the fans need to have them as well. Doesn't mean we need to jump off a bridge when we lose out on recruits but we should expect to be in the conversation "down to the wire" with recruits in our backyard who our staff has targeted as a priority.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It is a huge fail for CKE. He has said he wanted to get top talent from the DMV and he lost out on one of his top targets/priorities to the worst program in the ACC. Losing out on Carlton doesn't mean CKE can't recruit but in this instance he failed. If you were to ask him he would say the same thing. People need to stop living in the past and using the "where our program has been" as an excuse. Our staff has high expectations and the fans need to have them as well. Doesn't mean we need to jump off a bridge when we lose out on recruits but we should expect to be in the conversation "down to the wire" with recruits in our backyard who our staff has targeted as a priority.

Two things

1) It sounds like you would lead us to the bridge from your reaction.
2) Last I checked the fact that Mason was in his top 3 or 4, took 2 officials and heavily considered mason means that we did exactly what your last comment was.

We all have high expectations, myself included, but we also have to be realistic and not go crazy every time a recruit doesn't want to come to Mason.

The 22 class came out well, lets see how the 23 class ends up. I'm hoping that we'll hear news of a recruit committing by the end of the summer, if not more than 1.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I'd prefer our fans add "realistic" in that expectation mix as well.

At the end of the day, it's the kids decision and even the best recruitment since the dawn of college sports and offered scholarships is no guarantee of a signature.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Holy Shnike....are we agreeing on something????

View attachment 1374
I mean it is one recruit really early in the 23 class that went to an ACC school (albeit a shitty ACC school). I am going to sleep just fine tonight and so should everyone else lol. CKE has a gaggle of dudes to recruit for 23 that none of us have ever heard of yet. Just find it super weird (hope that word didn't break new protocol) that dudes freak over this but then were like super excited for kids that had no scholly offers coming onto the roster in years past. We need to move the goal post but some fans are trying to take us into a different stadium in 15 months and that is unfair.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Playing in the ACC, even for the worst school, had to have some factor in to his decision.

Capel was on his soapbox stating... hey kid.... you can be the one who helps turn us around and gets us back to a winning program. Some kids relish in that, and to some its not a huge factor.

Whatever..... SG's are a dime a dozen. Onward and upward.

Plus...We'll see him in the portal in a year or two.

Masonfan3

Starter
Two things

1) It sounds like you would lead us to the bridge from your reaction.
2) Last I checked the fact that Mason was in his top 3 or 4, took 2 officials and heavily considered mason means that we did exactly what your last comment was.

We all have high expectations, myself included, but we also have to be realistic and not go crazy every time a recruit doesn't want to come to Mason.

The 22 class came out well, lets see how the 23 class ends up. I'm hoping that we'll hear news of a recruit committing by the end of the summer, if not more than 1.

Not sure how you get that I will lead us to the bridge from my reaction. I said CKE is not a bad recruiter but failed in this instance. Also said there are other recruits out there we can get. There is nothing wrong with being upset as an initial reaction on failing to get a top priority. Shit, I f'd up a test or two at Mason, got upset, but ended up getting it together and pulling my grade up by the end of the semester. I believe CKE and staff can get it together and get some good recruits. But we'd be lying if we said the staff hasn't missed on some top local priorities. Also said this is not the same program that it was under DP or the Virus. This staff expects to get the Carlton's of the world and so should we as fans- that is not a bad thing.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just like Kaiser, Harris-Smith, Hansberry, and others, Carrington was a huge priority from the minute KE got to Mason, and all of them have blown up over the last year, earning several HM offers. That's going to happen when you aim as high as this staff does. You've got to fish where the fish are, and as long as the product on the court improves, this program will continue to be a serious contender for Top 100/150 players.

I wouldn't call this a "huge fail", but this staff expects to recruit guys at this level, so there is undoubtedly a level of disappointment. It's still early in the process, and there are several evaluation events left, which the staff will be active at. I'd expect to see some more 23 offers in the coming weeks.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Like, Comment, Retweet:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sucks to lose this one, but we are still connected to some really good wings for 23. Give me any two of Brandon Williams, Mike Williams, Mason So, DeShawn Harris-Smith, or Solomon Ball. All of these players have some HM offers, so We have to be prepared to miss out on all of them, but getting two would be a damn good recruiting Cycle.

And then of course we need a big.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
New offer out as of yesterday from Tomlinson. 5"11 PG Brandon Rechsteiner from Woodstock, GA. 2 Star from Etowah High School.

Kind of a head scratcher on this one... only has a few low/mid-major offers as of now. His coaches are selling him HARD to higher programs in general. Skill, toughness and work ethic are highlights along with self-labeled gym rat.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
New offer out as of yesterday from Tomlinson. 5"11 PG Brandon Rechsteiner from Woodstock, GA. 2 Star from Etowah High School.

Kind of a head scratcher on this one... only has a few low/mid-major offers as of now. His coaches are selling him HARD to higher programs in general. Skill, toughness and work ethic are highlights along with self-labeled gym rat.

He's been contacted by UVA, VT, Clemson, Minnesota, Loyola-Chicago, South Carolina, Davidson, Cal, Notre Dame, Northwestern, and SMU in recent days.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He's been contacted by UVA, VT, Clemson, Minnesota, Loyola-Chicago, South Carolina, Davidson, Cal, Notre Dame, Northwestern, and SMU in recent days.
This and other recent recruits makes me wonder if some of the P5 coaches watch who the up and coming/A10/high-mid-major (whatever term we use) to see who they offer and then spend their time trying to convince them to come to a P5 school instead. So, they get to use coaches like KE to be their scouting squad.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This and other recent recruits makes me wonder if some of the P5 coaches watch who the up and coming/A10/high-mid-major (whatever term we use) to see who they offer and then spend their time trying to convince them to come to a P5 school instead. So, they get to use coaches like KE to be their scouting squad.
If they were doing that with the resources they have I’d be incredibly concerned. Those programs have fully fleshed out recruiting staffs/programs, even the lower P5s.