2023 Recruiting

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know highlights are highlights, and that kids never miss shots in them. That being said, I absolutely loved what I saw from the few minutes of tape. Quick target release, finishing in transition and overall very polished.

I can see why there are a lot of offers on this kid and why he is a high priority for Mason.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I know highlights are highlights, and that kids never miss shots in them. That being said, I absolutely loved what I saw from the few minutes of tape. Quick target release, finishing in transition and overall very polished.

I can see why there are a lot of offers on this kid and why he is a high priority for Mason.
The best part is Mason has been on Kaiser since way before any of these other schools got interested. And when this staff has time to forge bonds with recruits, good things usually happen.

We lose three SG/SFs after next season and could easily see Kaiser, Rich Barron and Carlton Carrington filling those spots. All are terrific shooters who would fit well alongside JF and complement his skill set.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The best part is Mason has been on Kaiser since way before any of these other schools got interested. And when this staff has time to forge bonds with recruits, good things usually happen.

We lose three SG/SFs after next season and could easily see Kaiser, Rich Barron and Carlton Carrington filling those spots. All are terrific shooters who would fit well alongside JF and complement his skill set.
Mike Williams is another name to keep in mind.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Mike Williams is another name to keep in mind.
Considering we could very easily have 5 or more open scholarships after next season, the more the merrier. I’ll be curious how aggressive the staff wants to be in the portal versus developing 4-year players. Probably will be a mix, depending on who stays and who goes.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Considering we could very easily have 5 or more open scholarships after next season, the more the merrier. I’ll be curious how aggressive the staff wants to be in the portal versus developing 4-year players. Probably will be a mix, depending on who stays and who goes.

Would be amazing if he could convince either Gaines or Oduro to take their COVID year eligibility and stay.

If both of them turn pro, I could see a transfer wing coming in to replace Gaines. I don’t know what they’re going to do about Oduro, though, bigs are in even greater demand than point guards (even Danny Dixon made it to NC State).

I think we just have to hope they are turning Blake Jones into a 5 and that he makes good on his development by his junior year. Also, snagging Amani Hansberry in the ‘23 class would be fantastic too.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Would be amazing if he could convince either Gaines or Oduro to take their COVID year eligibility and stay.

If both of them turn pro, I could see a transfer wing coming in to replace Gaines. I don’t know what they’re going to do about Oduro, though, bigs are in even greater demand than point guards (even Danny Dixon made it to NC State).

I think we just have to hope they are turning Blake Jones into a 5 and that he makes good on his development by his junior year. Also, snagging Amani Hansberry in the ‘23 class would be fantastic too.
Hansberry is gonna be a tough one. As you said bigs are in high demand and he is incredibly gifted around the rim. Even at 6-8, he’s gonna have his pick of quality offers.

I have to think Elvis is seen as the successor to Oduro, not Blake. Just don’t see Blake being able to put on enough weight to defend the 5 but his length will be useful on both ends at the 4. Elvis is a big guy already … imagine him at 230-235 a couple years from now with those feet, he could be an absolute monster if he puts in the work.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Maybe…but I know Elvis said in his last recruitment interview that he was looking to play the 3/4 in college, so I don’t how he would take to playing the 5.

It’ll all shake out one way or another.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason has offered 4-star big man Carter Lang from Team Loaded (Va.), who also has offers from Richmond, Loyola (Chi.), Va Tech and Rice. He’s a 6-9 lefty and has range out to the 3 … would be a tremendous get at the 5 spot and allow Elvis to play the 4, which seems to be his preference.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason has offered 4-star big man Carter Lang from Team Loaded (Va.), who also has offers from Richmond, Loyola (Chi.), Va Tech and Rice. He’s a 6-9 lefty and has range out to the 3 … would be a tremendous get at the 5 spot and allow Elvis to play the 4, which seems to be his preference.
Offered him back in September. He’s also officially visited Stanford.

2023 DeShawn Harris-Smith is a 6’5” wing out of the basketball factory that is Paul VI High School. A 4-star recruit according to virtually all recruiting services, Mason got the jump on him by extending an early offer, but they are now competing with the likes of Villanova, LSU, Texas Tech, Georgetown, St. John’s, Xavier, and Rutgers, amongst others.

Player Eval: https://www.pointguardeyes.com/deshawn-harris-smith

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
2023 DeShawn Harris-Smith is a 6’5” wing out of the basketball factory that is Paul VI High School. A 4-star recruit according to virtually all recruiting services, Mason got the jump on him by extending an early offer, but they are now competing with the likes of Villanova, LSU, Texas Tech, Georgetown, St. John’s, Xavier, and Rutgers, amongst others.

Player Eval: https://www.pointguardeyes.com/deshawn-harris-smith

We just doing the dirty work for these big programs to swoop in.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
GSII -- if you think we are just doing the dirty work for the big programs to swoop in, how do you explain KE getting 4-star Justyn Fernandez? I realize he might be an exception, but the coach has shown it can be done.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
GSII -- if you think we are just doing the dirty work for the big programs to swoop in, how do you explain KE getting 4-star Justyn Fernandez? I realize he might be an exception, but the coach has shown it can be done.
If your asking if exceptions can happen, you answered your own question.

Consistently landing 4 stars kids would give you more leverage. But we haven't reached that level.....yet.

All I'm saying is even the P5's pay attention sometimes to see if other schools' offers lead them to a diamond.

FreeGunston12

All-American
If your asking if exceptions can happen, you answered your own question.

Consistently landing 4 stars kids would give you more leverage. But we haven't reached that level.....yet.

All I'm saying is even the P5's pay attention sometimes to see if other schools' offers lead them to a diamond.
. . . because talent at PVI is going to go unnoticed? What are we supposed to do, not offer the kid? That's a bold strategy Cotton.

NewPatriot

Starter
View: https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/1526708288263430144?t=8wbILOAGKfWv8JGP0l3uGQ&s=19

Since his announcement, college programs have been in heavy contact. Multiple offers have come through, and he has started his official visits. On3 caught up with Jamie Kaiser this weekend to see exactly where things stood in his recruitment.

“I went on an official visit to Harvard and Wisconsin last week,” Kaiser said. “We’ve got dates set to take official visits to George Mason and Virginia in June.”

George Mason: “They are like family over there. Coach (Kim) English was like my first scholarship offer. Coach (Duane) Simpkins, I’ve known him since like sixth grade. I feel really comfortable over there; it is only like ten minutes from my house. Everyone will be able to come to see me play.”