2023 A10 Tournament. Game 32 - #5 GMU vs Winner of #12 Richmond and #13 UMass Game.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
UMass beat Richmond this year so interesting game we will have with either opponent.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
1.) vcu
2.) Dayton
3.) Fordham
4.) St. Louis
5.) George Mason
6.) Duquesne
7.) GW
8.) St. Bonaventure
9.) St. Joseph's/Davidson (TBD)
10– 15.) P.I.G.s — yadda, yadda, yadda... too many tie-breakers to calculate.
Too bad Goo Moo ruined UR's Senior Day.
:ROFLMAO:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m seeing different standings according to which site I use. I tend to trust google for no good reason.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
Little Man Shrink GIF by Holly Logan

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Game 32 - #5 GMU vs Winner of the #12 Richmond and #13 UMass game.

Date:
Wednesday, March 8, 2023.
Time: 2:00 PM
TV Coverage: USA

Richmond:
We beat Richmond twice this season.
We won 62-58 at home on New Years Eve:
Box Score: https://gomason.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23/richmond/boxscore/11938

We beat them 62-60 on March 4 in Richmond.
Box Score: https://gomason.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23/richmond/boxscore/11955

UMass:
We only played them once this season and beat them at home 70-59:
Box Score: https://gomason.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23/massachusetts/boxscore/11947

FYI. Richmond and Umass played once this season with UMass winning 85-76 in Amherst.
Box Score: https://umassathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23/richmond/boxscore/14514

I would prefer to play UMass. Beating a team 3 times in a season is never easy, especially when the first two were so close.

Discuss.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Whatever the conditions are, that’s how we like it.

At some point this magic carpet ride will end, but honestly I couldn’t care less about opponent, seed or venue. F them all. I like our team.
I like 'em too, flaws and all. I know I beat a drum against them most of the season, but this is a different team now...especially with RP and Ticket healthy. This team is showing a grit that other teams hate to face.
Win or lose (I'd lots rather win) these guys have put together our longest ever A10 winning streak and highest ever seed. Check off box #1.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I like 'em too, flaws and all. I know I beat a drum against them most of the season, but this is a different team now...especially with RP and Ticket healthy. This team is showing a grit that other teams hate to face.
Win or lose (I'd lots rather win) these guys have put together our longest ever A10 winning streak and highest ever seed. Check off box #1.
Technically Mason was a 5 seed in year 4 under Paulsen, before they shit the bed in the quarters against St Joes. And that team also won 11 league games, but did not have a 6 game winning streak. Mere technicality and I think this team is 100 times better than that team ever was.

That said, I guess you dont' want to send Kim English to the pasture anymore. :p

If nothing more, because of where I think we are headed, someone better throw a few more bucks at Coach and perhaps its time to give an extra year or two on his 5 year deal.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We lost to the Bonnie’s that year (also the same year we lost to vcu by almost 40 on our home court). Crapping the bed against St. Joes was a different season.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We lost to the Bonnie’s that year (also the same year we lost to vcu by almost 40 on our home court). Crapping the bed against St. Joes was a different season.
I mixed it up. We apparently have been the 5 seed two times before though, and both times lost badly in the quarters.

Either way, those teams weren't as good as this one, I don't think.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I mixed it up. We apparently have been the 5 seed two times before though, and both times lost badly in the quarters.

Either way, those teams weren't as good as this one, I don't think.

I think the difference is their ability to match the physicality. The Bonnie’s just out-muscled that team and they shrank.

The same thing happened against SLU and vcu that year. Just couldn’t match the size and strength.

This team right now doesn’t shrink for anyone no matter what you throw at them.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Technically Mason was a 5 seed in year 4 under Paulsen, before they shit the bed in the quarters against St Joes. And that team also won 11 league games, but did not have a 6 game winning streak. Mere technicality and I think this team is 100 times better than that team ever was.

That said, I guess you dont' want to send Kim English to the pasture anymore. :p

If nothing more, because of where I think we are headed, someone better throw a few more bucks at Coach and perhaps its time to give an extra year or two on his 5 year deal.
There's a famous line from Pulp Fiction that I thought of when I saw this post.....Can't totally quote it here, but along the lines of "let's not start getting too full of ourselves". We lose in the opening round of the tourney and this is pretty much still a wait and see situation. The six game win streak is very encouraging, but we also have to acknowledge the second half sh*tshow we saw yesterday against a sub .500 team. If you want to be on the vcu level, you need to bury that team.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
While we probably technically matchup better against Richmond, I’m hoping for a Umass win because like @Patriotsince81 said it is REALLY tough to beat a team 3 times in a season, especially with the third being the one that really counts…

Hate the high seeds have the early game tips in this format rather than the evening time slots.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
There's a famous line from Pulp Fiction that I thought of when I saw this post.....Can't totally quote it here, but along the lines of "let's not start getting too full of ourselves". We lose in the opening round of the tourney and this is pretty much still a wait and see situation. The six game win streak is very encouraging, but we also have to acknowledge the second half sh*tshow we saw yesterday against a sub .500 team. If you want to be on the vcu level, you need to bury that team.
We’re not on vcu’s level yet, this much is clear, but the price of poker in the A-10 has gone up significantly since Kim was hired. If you think he’s your guy, and Dr Washington obviously does, the smart move is to add at least a year to his deal (I would go two, personally) and bump him up to at least $1M base.

For perspective, Charleston just gave Pat Kelsey a $1M a year deal in the CAA. I know his resume is far superior to Kim’s but if we’re serious about sustaining success in the
A-10 we need to be proactive and not start scrambling when our coach is boarding a plane to sunny Miami lol.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
While we probably technically matchup better against Richmond, I’m hoping for a Umass win because like @Patriotsince81 said it is REALLY tough to beat a team 3 times in a season, especially with the third being the one that really counts…

Hate the high seeds have the early game tips in this format rather than the evening time slots.
Yep, not a fan of the 2 pm start on a week day.