2023 A-10 Post-Season

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What does everyone think about the overall impact of the xfer portal on the conference? Net positive/loss or neutral in terms of the players the conference lost vs players the conference got.

I keep thinking of SBU and how they lost Lofton, and two other starters.

We lost 2nd team all ACC in MIller and Big East POY/2nd team all american Kolek, but those could also be chalked up to coaching changes.

1st teamers Camara, Bishop, 2nd teamers Loyer, Grant, and 3rd teamers Moore, Banks and Johns were all xfers. That is 7 of the 15 all conference team members.
Its probably going to vary year to year (I know, DUH). This year it appears that it hurt us more than it helped.

But at the end of the day, the league not performing well during the nonconf when they had opportunities did not help.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The A10 is just on the low end of the coaching cycle. Look at how many teams have coaches with four years or less tenures: Mason, GW, Fordham, St. Joe's, URI, LaSalle, Loyola, UMass, Davidson. Almost two-thirds of the conference has a relatively new coach. It takes awhile to build a program. It is no coincidence that the perennialy best teams in the A10 have longer-tenured coaches with their respective teams.

Last edited:
OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Seems to me we lost some of our best programs to other conferences.
Interesting question
from wikipedia here is the membership chart

analysis should be
1) who left and why? - if football then conference cant do anything about that
2) who left for a better basketball conference?
3) who came in from a lower basketball conference?
4) who came in from a higher basketball conference?

IMO
Key Big Name losses to higher Basketball conferences
Villanova, Pitt?, Rutgers, West Virginia, Temple, Va Tech, Xavier, Butler

and a number of schools joined from lower basketball conferences - including George Mason

1678721309547.png

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Seems to me we lost some of our best programs to other conferences.

They were all gone in 2014. What happened is a lot of the traditionally good programs stopped being good: GW, UMass, URI, St. Joes specifically. And those who have been traditionally bad or mediocre are in a transition period: Fordham, Duquesne, Mason.

Davidson and St. Bonaventure also had transition years this year, but they’ve been pretty good generally.

As for the Mountain West, I’d guess SD State would block a re-up of the challenge. Their AD put out a not kind statement when they originally announced it. But outside of SD State the teams who had good NET success largely didn’t schedule P6 teams outside of their MTEs but played stronger mid-majors (and beat the crap out of them).

Utah State’s best OOC win was against Oral Roberts. They’re OOC is probably something to emulate. They only had 3 Q4 games all season, 7 Q1 and 10 Q2. The only P6 team they played was Washington State and that was in the Diamond Head Classic. But they played Utah Valley (74), Bradley (72), Santa Clara (84), Oral Roberts (36), San Fran (106), Marymount (107) and only two sub-200 NET teams (SMU and San Diego). The trick to their NET 18 season is they beat up on some of these teams by 15+, which enhanced their wins.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Its probably going to vary year to year (I know, DUH). This year it appears that it hurt us more than it helped.

But at the end of the day, the league not performing well during the nonconf when they had opportunities did not help.

Injuries at vcu and Dayton didn’t help. Ace was out for vcu’s three biggest games and they lost two of them. Smith, Brea, and Elvis all missed time this season. That did not help Dayton at all.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He may go, lot of rumors out there. What coaches on his staff go, What guys they buy out of the portal etc etc….
Maybe. I know UNC can't abide losing for long (Matt Dougherty), but Davis was Roy's personal choice.
Will be interesting!

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Interesting question
from wikipedia here is the membership chart

analysis should be
1) who left and why? - if football then conference cant do anything about that
2) who left for a better basketball conference?
3) who came in from a lower basketball conference?
4) who came in from a higher basketball conference?

IMO
Key Big Name losses to higher Basketball conferences
Villanova, Pitt?, Rutgers, West Virginia, Temple, Va Tech, Xavier, Butler

and a number of schools joined from lower basketball conferences - including George Mason

View attachment 1687
Yep, the ones you mentioned, especially back in the day, Xavier and Temple were perinial (sp) tourney teams. Butler had a good run. And more recently NOVA has been a monster.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yep, the ones you mentioned, especially back in the day, Xavier and Temple were perinial (sp) tourney teams. Butler had a good run. And more recently NOVA has been a monster.

Villanova left 42 years ago! Temple left to align Basketball and Football (and has since fallen off), Butler was in the A10 for 1 season. Xavier’s loss sucked for the A10, but Davidson was a good move.

Us and Chicago need to start pulling our weight, some of these other programs need to get their act together. Fordham and Duquesne need to stop scheduling cake OOC schedules, for instance. No point racking up wins if you’re not going to sniff a postseason anyway.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Villanova left 42 years ago! Temple left to align Basketball and Football (and has since fallen off), Butler was in the A10 for 1 season. Xavier’s loss sucked for the A10, but Davidson was a good move.

Us and Chicago need to start pulling our weight, some of these other programs need to get their act together. Fordham and Duquesne need to stop scheduling cake OOC schedules, for instance. No point racking up wins if you’re not going to sniff a postseason anyway.
Shows how much I keep up with some things! :ROFLMAO:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah; I am rooting for Hubert, though. He used to do his ESPN spots from the studio my wife worked at and he was easily one of the nicest people she met.
No question Hubert is a good guy. I'm pulling for him too.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yep- and when vcu has a few buy game losses and SLU gets murdered by Maryland and is generally inconsistent, those aren't going to help all that much. Dayton beat VT, but VT was pretty bad this year even though they had a good NET.
VT beat the piss out of Dayton this year - 77-49