2023 A-10 Post-Season

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
NCAA MEN'S TOURNAMENT

vcu as the A-10 Tourney Champ is the only entry into the NCAA Tournament Field of 68
First game - 2 seed vs 5 seed St. Mary's

I assume the Conference has a shared revenue pool with vcu getting 2/16ths of the Tourney money and the other 14 schools each getting 1/16th
so the farther they go, the more we get

1678664811111.png

Last edited:
OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
NIT Men's Tournament

Bracket reveal is at 10 pm tonight
as I am sure they are contacting all the teams that didnt make the NCAA Tourney

I expect Dayton to have an entry
and maybe Fordham or St. Louis

Old Ram

Preferred Walk-On
NCAA MEN'S TOURNAMENT

vcu as the A-10 Tourney Champ is the only entry into the NCAA Tournament Field of 68
First game - 2 seed vs 5 seed St. Mary's

I assume the Conference has a shared revenue pool with vcu getting 2/16ths of the Tourney money and the other 14 schools each getting 1/16th
so the farther they go, the more we get

View attachment 1686
Actually the A10 has an approximately 75/25% formula with regards to NCAA Basketball Units with the team earning the unit getting 75% of the revenue and the remainder of the league receiving 25%. One unit is worth approximately $350k per game played in the tournament. They are paid out for six continuous years beginning the year after the tournament.

Win a couple of games in the tournament and you’re talking about a lot of money.

The distribution is much different than it was in the CAA where everything was more equally shared. It incentivizes teams to be as successful as possible.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
NIT Men's Tournament

Bracket reveal is at 10 pm tonight
as I am sure they are contacting all the teams that didnt make the NCAA Tourney

I expect Dayton to have an entry
and maybe Fordham or St. Louis
Dayton Daily News Headline:

Dayton’s season ends as it announces it ‘will decline any postseason opportunities’​

Kinda surprised. Paywall prevented me from seeing a rationale for this decision.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Not A10 related:

Hofstra will play #1 seed Rutgers in the NIT
Liberty is a #2 seed, will host Villanova and Wisconsin if they make it to the 2nd round

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Someone elsewhere asked when the last time the A10 was a 1 bid league- 2005
I'm curious what the conference leadership will do to help teams. Since earning six bids in 2014, we then went four years with three bids, then three years with two bids, then this year with one bid. not a great trend. Even worse, we are now sharing smaller $$ with more schools.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm curious what the conference leadership will do to help teams. Since earning six bids in 2014, we then went four years with three bids, then three years with two bids, then this year with one bid. not a great trend. Even worse, we are now sharing smaller $$ with more schools.
I'm not an expert by any stretch on this topic but I think it comes down to a few things.
1) the NET screwing over mid major programs who can't get games with Power 5 schools unless they take a buy game on the road
2) Scheduling in general

I think #2 is really the big one in general that needs to be helped. We were supposed to have the MWC/A10 challenge and that went away and hasn't' been discussed at all. Its obviously that plenty of programs in the A10 have issues with scheduling and have to fight tooth and nail to get anything. The schools like Dayton SLU and vcu always somehow manage better than the rest of the league probably on name and general quality that they have provided in terms of basketball teams the last several years.

Somehow, someway, I'd love for the A10 to get us another league challenge which guarantees us some games. In addition, with Fordham and Lasalle raising their floor, I'm hopeful the general quality of the league continues to improve.

Old Ram

Preferred Walk-On
There isn’t much the League can do. While they want teams to play the best OOC schedule possible, they don’t have any more leverage than the flagship schools In playing P6’s or the strongest mid-majors.

St. Louis, Dayton and vcu all struggle to get the majors to schedule them, and it’s only going to get more difficult. Working the NET is a lot harder than the RPI was. Credit to the Mountain West for how they did the past two years.

Lastly, when presented with those few opportunities, teams have to win more often. The leagues best two OOC wins this past year were St. Louis over Memphis and vcu over Pitt. That’s about it.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
There isn’t much the League can do. While they want teams to play the best OOC schedule possible, they don’t have any more leverage than the flagship schools In playing P6’s or the strongest mid-majors.

St. Louis, Dayton and vcu all struggle to get the majors to schedule them, and it’s only going to get more difficult. Working the NET is a lot harder than the RPI was. Credit to the Mountain West for how they did the past two years.

Lastly, when presented with those few opportunities, teams have to win more often. The leagues best two OOC wins this past year were St. Louis over Memphis and vcu over Pitt. That’s about it.
Yep- and when vcu has a few buy game losses and SLU gets murdered by Maryland and is generally inconsistent, those aren't going to help all that much. Dayton lost to VT, and VT was pretty bad this year even though they had a good NET.

Last edited:

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What does everyone think about the overall impact of the xfer portal on the conference? Net positive/loss or neutral in terms of the players the conference lost vs players the conference got.

I keep thinking of SBU and how they lost Lofton, and two other starters.

We lost 2nd team all ACC in MIller and Big East POY/2nd team all american Kolek, but those could also be chalked up to coaching changes.

1st teamers Camara, Bishop, 2nd teamers Loyer, Grant, and 3rd teamers Moore, Banks and Johns were all xfers. That is 7 of the 15 all conference team members.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Seems to me we lost some of our best programs to other conferences.