2023-24 Schedule

undertherock

Preferred Walk-On
I hate to say it but I think vcu is a double bye team based on their turnaround.

Seems like it is starting to separate: Dayton, Richmond, vcu seem to be on track for 3 of the 4. That 4th spot is pretty wide open between Loyola, Mason, UMass, St. Joes, and Bona. We are in the mix but it’s a pressure cooker from here on out.
They still have to play Richmond twice and Dayton twice. A loss to the Bonnie's on Tuesday puts them right back in with the dogfight for top 4

Old Ram

Preferred Walk-On
Richmond is now worthy of being considered to be discussed as a potential at large team if they keep winning.

Good for them, good for the conference, not going to bring back the at large thread though so I dont jinx them.
They aren’t getting an at large with that non-conference record. Best win- UNLV, Charlotte? Ugh

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Win a ton of games in your conference, and don't have any bad losses and that is how you start propelling yourself into the at large conversation.

Right now Richmond is 70 in NET but is 7-0 in conference with 15 wins. It will be tough, but another 8 or 9 wins and they definitely will be looked at. Probably 24 or 25 wins is what they need.

It sucks because the A10 has SEVERAL top 100 NET teams and yet that isn't anywhere close enough to be considered for an at large.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Um - their best win is Dayton - conference games count too.

Go back and look at our at-large resume in 2011.

The CAA had several top 25 RPI teams that year and we played them all twice. There is a rather sizable drop off after Dayton in the conference NET (largely because Bona, Joes, Duquesne and Mason all stunk it up for portions of the conference slate). Might be harder for Richmond to have an at-large worthy resume.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Dayton’s 13-game winning streak, the longest active streak in the country and the third longest for the program in 50 years, ran into another winning streak. Richmond (15-5, 7-0) has now 10 games in a row, its longest streak since 1935. Its 11 game home winning streak is the longest in one season in school history.

Richmond improved to 6-1 against top 25 teams at home since 2009. The only loss was to the No. 7 Flyers in 2020."

"The Flyers (16-3, 6-1) won’t match the 2020 team, which finished 18-0 in the A-10, but that was a longshot. This team is still in position to earn a NCAA tournament at-large berth. The Flyers dropped only one spot in the NCAA Evaluation Tool, to No. 16, after a Quad 1 loss. Richmond moved from No. 75 to No. 69."

"Dayton will now have to count on Richmond losing at some point to have a chance of winning the regular-season championship. The Spiders and Flyers both still have to play Virginia Commonwealth twice, and the Rams (13-7, 5-2) are one of the hottest teams in the conference with five straight A-10 victories after an 0-2 start.

The Spiders celebrated this victory with their student section, which stormed the court after the final buzzer. Security guards in yellow coats shielded Dayton players and coaches as they walked through the postgame handshake line. Minutes earlier, the same students had chanted 'Overrated' as Holmes shot free throws."

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Richmond is now worthy of being considered to be discussed as a potential at large team if they keep winning.

Good for them, good for the conference, not going to bring back the at large thread though so I dont jinx them.
When did they get good - Mooney is still their coach right?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
When did they get good - Mooney is still their coach right?

He’s a good coach.

3 NCAA tournaments (likely 4 if they held one in 2020) and 3 NITs.

2 A10 titles

1 Sweet Sixteen
1 Round of 32
3 NIT quarterfinals

A few teams under-performed and I’m sure Richmond fans would like a few more NCAA appearances over the last 15 years, but that’s a much better record than we’ve had recently. I’d take it.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
vcu 10-15 from 3 at Bonnies who are only 1-10. Rams ahead by 13 at half with Bonnies looking terrible, lucky that they're aren't further behind (down 39-19 at one point). CBSSN 594 on FIOS

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Major theme from the Ram Nation site:
"We would have won if not for the refs."
Poor babies.

I wonder if the refs affected vcu's FG shooting in the second half - https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/st-bonaventure/boxscore/6227

7-27 including 1-14 behind the arc

• "vcu saw its 11-game road win streak, the longest active streak in the country, come to an end in Tuesday's loss"

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Odds To Get An NCAA Bid:
Biggest Gain Since 3 Weeks Ago​

Odds To Get An NCAA Bid:
Biggest Decline Since 3 Weeks Ago​

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Below the current top 3 in the A10 (Richmond, Dayton, Loyola), Kenpom has 5 teams they project to finish 10-8:
vcu #92
St Bon #83
UMass #93
GMU #95
St. Joe #96

Going to be real difficult to get a top 4 spot even if Loyola were to collapse, with both vcu and St. Joes having tie-breakers over us.