2023-24 Schedule

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Any idea which game has been officially designated as Homecoming? I'm assuming Saturday, March 2 (Duquesne) or Saturday, March 9 (Richmond). We have no Saturday home games in February. The only other options are Jan 6, 20, or 27.

I have not seen anything on any of the releases.
I will try and find this out.

Edit: date hasn’t been decided yet. But should within a few weeks. Will follow up in few weeks and ask.

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
March 2nd against Dusqy sounds appealing...
With the general consensus being they are a top 3 A-10 team, I don't think it would be a great idea to have our most attended game of the year potentially be an embarrassing loss. For how cupcake our schedule is, it would not make a ton of sense for us to schedule a tough homecoming game, especially this season.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Have they ever seriously considered having Homecoming in November? I know we all have our opinions on the matter but has the admin ever said why/why not.

Weather is better and feels like it could be a good play to get the students and fan base pumped for the season closer to the start, rather than risking poor weather + poor team come Feb/March.

Have they ever seriously considered having Homecoming in November? I know we all have our opinions on the matter but has the admin ever said why/why not.

Weather is better and feels like it could be a good play to get the students and fan base pumped for the season closer to the start, rather than risking poor weather + poor team come Feb/March.

years ago that Wichita State home opener (post final 4) was amazing with a near sold out crowd. perfect weather for tailgating.

With the general consensus being they are a top 3 A-10 team, I don't think it would be a great idea to have our most attended game of the year potentially be an embarrassing loss. For how cupcake our schedule is, it would not make a ton of sense for us to schedule a tough homecoming game, especially this season.
Homie, the year before I started at Mason we blew a 23 point lead to Dusqy on homecoming- I do not think it could be worse than that. I just want good weather to grill.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
years ago that Wichita State home opener (post final 4) was amazing with a near sold out crowd. perfect weather for tailgating.

ESPN Game Day was there for that one. And the Final Four banner was hung. Unfortunately, we blew the second half and lost that game.

The Mississippi State win almost made up for it though.

OP
MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Any idea which game has been officially designated as Homecoming? I'm assuming Saturday, March 2 (Duquesne) or Saturday, March 9 (Richmond). We have no Saturday home games in February. The only other options are Jan 6, 20, or 27.

I have not seen anything on any of the releases.
It probably won't be either of the March dates because that is spring break.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’m going to go with Jan 27th against URI. Students should just be coming back from winter break. URI is supposed to be not good this year, but have recent historical cachet.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
By the way, I second (for the thousandth time) having this game in November. Unfortunately I don’t see a game that would slot in well right now this year. The first chance would be ÉCU, but that’s Thanksgiving weekend.

The next opportunity would be Dec. 15 against Loyola (MD), but that’s the day after finals and probably not great either.

But going forward would love to see it happen in November. If I had to guess though, maybe the AD doesn’t want to compete with college football during the month of November?

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
By the way, I second (for the thousandth time) having this game in November. Unfortunately I don’t see a game that would slot in well right now this year. The first chance would be ÉCU, but that’s Thanksgiving weekend.

The next opportunity would be Dec. 15 against Loyola (MD), but that’s the day after finals and probably not great either.

But going forward would love to see it happen in November. If I had to guess though, maybe the AD doesn’t want to compete with college football during the month of November?
I think it may be worthwhile to do one of those online petitions that we can spread the link around to for people here, and in our collective extended networks, to sign onto.

I don’t think i’ve ever seen someone on here disagree fall would be better.

Not possible to change this year (only two months away), but may be perfect timing to press the issue given the shafting of a schedule the A10 gave us for Saturday games and the high likelihood we have another brutally cold gameday.

We have the ability to control our OOC schedule, so if HC is going to be in the fall we can plan accordingly. Worth telling them to bring back indoor tailgate as well.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I'm beating the dead horse yet again!!!!!! Homecoming should be the first Saturday home game in November. 2 or 4PM tip off giving people ample time to tailgate before tip off. Give the students on campus a choice, tailgate and go to the game or attend a 4 hour lecture in the Center for the Arts on the capital forming effects of military mobilization. This should be the first law of GMU basketball.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No disagreement on when Homecoming should be from me. Maybe someone can ask someone on the topic over the next few months so that when next season starts to shake out this can be considered?

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I think it may be worthwhile to do one of those online petitions that we can spread the link around to for people here, and in our collective extended networks, to sign onto.

I don’t think i’ve ever seen someone on here disagree fall would be better.

Not possible to change this year (only two months away), but may be perfect timing to press the issue given the shafting of a schedule the A10 gave us for Saturday games and the high likelihood we have another brutally cold gameday.

We have the ability to control our OOC schedule, so if HC is going to be in the fall we can plan accordingly. Worth telling them to bring back indoor tailgate as well.
It just makes so much more sense from a fan engagement perspective. A lot less variables to deal with vs. the Feb/Mar window (poor weather, team performance, schedule issues, spring break, etc).

You can leverage some of the buzz generated around Mason Madness and parlay that into an early season Homecoming. Set the tone early on with students and fans so they feel excited about basketball at the start with the hopes the team does well and they continue to come out, drive home that this should be part of their routine moving forward.

That then leaves open the idea of still doing targeted tailgating events, at a smaller scale than HC, around bigger conference matchups in the Feb/Mar window.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Curious - since the A10 is a basketball focused league and many schools don't have football, any idea when other schools have homecoming? like when does vcu have their mcdonalds sponsored homecoming, St Joes, Lasalle etc? Do they even have it? I don't think vcu does.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Curious - since the A10 is a basketball focused league and many schools don't have football, any idea when other schools have homecoming? like when does vcu have their mcdonalds sponsored homecoming, St Joes, Lasalle etc? Do they even have it? I don't think vcu does.
Just took a quick look at all A10 school schedule pages. None currently have any game listed as being Homecoming. Like us most game times for all A10 games are TBD.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
It looks like vcu has a similar set up to us with a week of events culminating with a block party prior to a men's basketball game, they did their's in mid-Feb last year.

LaSalle is doing their Homecoming this year around the men's basketball home opener in November.