2022 Recruiting

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

So count me in as a Manyang fan. He's got the one thing you can't teach, size, which we will desperately need. Looks like he might be a late bloomer but someone who could absolutely dominate the A10 by his junior/senior season. He picked up an offer from us and UMASS last night so he's going probably going to blow up this fall.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So count me in as a Manyang fan. He's got the one thing you can't teach, size, which we will desperately need. Looks like he might be a late bloomer but someone who could absolutely dominate the A10 by his junior/senior season. He picked up an offer from us and UMASS last night so he's going probably going to blow up this fall.

I know we can argue size all day, but I think Mason has upgraded their athleticism and size in a lot of areas.

That said, this guy looks like an athletic 6'10 center. If hes going to blow up and hes good, he'll be at a power 5 since hes got a unique skillset.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I know we can argue size all day, but I think Mason has upgraded their athleticism and size in a lot of areas.

That said, this guy looks like an athletic 6'10 center. If hes going to blow up and hes good, he'll be at a power 5 since hes got a unique skillset.
pull a UMASS and hire their high school coach this instant instead of Paulsen's young protege. I know we all crap on teams that do that and had a sour experience with Copes (he failed for a multitude of reasons and part of that was not on him).

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It started with the 21 class. Based on their offer lists, Castro and Darius Johnson are our most highly sought-after recruits since DP has been at Mason.

definitely agree. Although Castro blew up in the spring and Darius they probably knew about because of XJ, but regardless, agreed haha.

The quality of recruit they’ve gone after for 2021 for the last year and a half has been quite different than the other classes it seems like

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It started with the 21 class. Based on their offer lists, Castro and Darius Johnson are our most highly sought-after recruits since DP has been at Mason.

I guess step 1 to figuring out how to sign better recruits is offering them, so even though I have doubts about if we’ll be able to sign most of these guys I believe in credit where credit is due and that being in the mix for these guys is a step in the right direction. And who knows, maybe we manage to snag one or two of these guys. Recruits sign at mid majors all the time for a variety of reasons with P5 offers, why shouldn’t we try to get one. Can’t play ball if you aren’t even on the field.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I guess step 1 to figuring out how to sign better recruits is offering them, so even though I have doubts about if we’ll be able to sign most of these guys I believe in credit where credit is due and that being in the mix for these guys is a step in the right direction. And who knows, maybe we manage to snag one or two of these guys. Recruits sign at mid majors all the time for a variety of reasons with P5 offers, why shouldn’t we try to get one. Can’t play ball if you aren’t even on the field.

I think it's a bunch of things, it could be connections, it could be understanding the league. I think also having some nice facilities to show off probably help a lot too.

Now they have to make some of these come to fruition. Its nice to get guys under the radar who may have been overlooked, but its also good to get guys who had equivalent and above offers too. A good mix is important because you dont' know who will pan out.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Recruiting is a lot like fishing. You cast a lot of lines in the water and hope to get lucky. It reminds me of the story of a man fishing in a lake not far from his house. He's struggling to get a single bite, while a woman in a boat not far away is reeling them in left and right.

He quietly rows over toward her and says: "Excuse me, I see that you have the same boat as me, the same equipment as me, same bait, and we are in the same general area."

"You want to know my secret, don't you?" she asks.

"That would be great!" he says.

"In the morning when I wake up, I look under the covers to see which way my husband's penis is leaning. If it's going to the left, I fish off the left side of the boat; if it's going to the right, I fish off the right side. It's as simple as that."

"But what do you do if it's going straight up?" the man asked.

""I don't go fishing," she said.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Recruiting is a lot like fishing. You cast a lot of lines in the water and hope to get lucky. It reminds me of the story of a man fishing in a lake not far from his house. He's struggling to get a single bite, while a woman in a boat not far away is reeling them in left and right.

He quietly rows over toward her and says: "Excuse me, I see that you have the same boat as me, the same equipment as me, same bait, and we are in the same general area."

"You want to know my secret, don't you?" she asks.

"That would be great!" he says.

"In the morning when I wake up, I look under the covers to see which way my husband's penis is leaning. If it's going to the left, I fish off the left side of the boat; if it's going to the right, I fish off the right side. It's as simple as that."

"But what do you do if it's going straight up," the man asked.

""I don't go fishing," she said.

Let’s hope the staff isn’t using that as a recruiting strategy. :D

By George.

Starter
Kudos to the coaching staff for aggressively sending out offers this week. We're seeing names pop up daily with new offers. One thing I'd like to ask from everyone is to like and retweet these offers on Twitter. Is it superficial and likely won't make an impact on the kids decision? Sure but social media presence and support is something we can help contribute with in recruiting. We don't want our support numbers dwarfed by smaller schools.

I see you Mason2005, keep posting those videos under every kids offer.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Are we always in contact with this many recruits at this point in the year? Admittedly this year is the closest I've paid attention to our recruiting ever. but it seems like we have either offered or reached out to a lot more people that I'm used to seeing. Every time I get on Twitter I see another guy we've offered or called. Is this pretty par for the course for this point in the recruiting cycle or are we a lot more active than most years? I think it's a good thing to be talking to this many players, but I honestly don't know / have any frame of reference.