2022 Recruiting

patriotchild

Starter
Serious question. Is having recruits at mason madness a positive at this point? Or a bigger risk to drive a kid away (particularly one with solid multiple offers)?

given the way it’s been the last few years I’d have to think it creates a bigger risk

JPgmuswim

Starter
Serious question. Is having recruits at mason madness a positive at this point? Or a bigger risk to drive a kid away (particularly one with solid multiple offers)?

given the way it’s been the last few years I’d have to think it creates a bigger risk

I have wondered and thought the same thing.

FreeGunston12

All-American

I asked the same question last year and got lambasted for it. Just get rid of the event altogether and do something in its place. Innovate. It is our “tradition” after all.

patriotchild

Starter
I asked the same question last year and got lambasted for it. Just get rid of the event altogether and do something in its place. Innovate. It is our “tradition” after all.
Agree. It’s embarrassing to have it in the patriot center for 100 people.

Anyway perhaps a thought for a different thread.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

i know sleeper doesn’t like when I’m talking about ASU but they set up baskets on Mill Avenue in downtown Tempe and do “midnight madness” outside. It’s called Mill Madness and its pretty cool to be able to just walk by and watch the dunk contest going on in a park in the middle of town.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Midnight Madness is always fun, if you have a winning program to celebrate.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Is it true that there were only 100 people at Mason Madness? I know that was the case for the Open Scrimmage but I'm pretty sure no recruits were at that. Haven't been to Mason Madness in a year or two, but the crowds were at least decent.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Is it true that there were only 100 people at Mason Madness? I know that was the case for the Open Scrimmage but I'm pretty sure no recruits were at that. Haven't been to Mason Madness in a year or two, but the crowds were at least decent.

No. 4500

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just figured out Dave Paulsen....go pick up a kid like this who excels against future Div III and Patriot League players......

But...does not work so well in the A-10.

This particular kid already has offers from Florida and Ohio State and will probably rack up the P5 offers.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Crazier things have happened, never know, although I agree it’s probably a long shot I think it’s a good thing to start getting in the conversation with recruits of this caliber.
I just hate that we are considered a lower tier and listed after UMASS in articles. “Georgetown umass George Mason and Maryland eastern shore”

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I just hate that we are considered a lower tier and listed after UMASS in articles. “Georgetown umass George Mason and Maryland eastern shore”

I think you are reading into the listing of schools a bit too much man. I get your point though.

Also 6'2 PG Jayden Pierre has heard from George Mason. Not sure if theres an offer but they are listed along with a bunch of schools that aren't just Ivy League or America East schools.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
FWIW Zack Curran tweeted about Tyrell Ward in 2018 back when he worked for The Hoop Group.

I looked to see what I could find out about Tyrell on twitter and that came up. Interesting.