2022 Coaching Carousel

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"COLUMBIA, Mo. - Cleveland State coach Dennis Gates has emerged as the target in Missouri’s basketball coaching search to replace Cuonzo Martin, ESPN’s Pete Thamel reported Friday night. Thamel reported there was "clear mutual interest between both parties," but not a final deal. Missouri did not confirm the report or announce a hire Friday. Mizzou fired Martin after he went 78-77 in five seasons.

Gates, 42, is 50-40 in three seasons at Cleveland State with two straight Horizon League regular-season championships and one NCAA Tournament appearance last year. Gates, a Chicago native, played in college at California in the Pac-12 and later spent eight seasons as an assistant at Florida State under Leonard Hamilton. He's signed through 2027 with a salary of $550,000.

There's a mizzou connection to Gates' time at Cleveland State: Former athletics director Mike Alden was serving as CSU's senior advisor to the school's president shortly before Gates was hired there in 2019

MU was thought to be pursuing George Mason coach Kim English, a popular former MU player, as well as San Francisco coach Todd Golden and Murray State's Matt McMahon. Florida announced Golden as its head coach earlier Friday. McMahon's team plays St. Peter's in the NCAA Tournament on Saturday."

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Hearing JT3 might be in play for GW, which would be wild.

If I was a Saint Joe’s fan, I’d be absolutely disgusted to be stuck with Billy Lange given what is happening with the quality of coaching in the A-10. Their AD should admit she screwed up and cut bait because they’re not getting out of the pillow fight round with Lange as coach.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
"A source confirmed reports on Saturday that Mizzou is close to hiring Cleveland State's Dennis Gates as the university's new men's basketball coach. ESPN's Pete Thamel first reported late Friday night that Mizzou was close to ending its search for a new coach by targeting Gates. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch and PowerMizzou.com both reported that Gates will be the choice pending approval by the Missouri Board of Curators, information that a KOMU 8 source confirmed on Saturday afternoon.

Gates, who took over the Cleveland State program starting with the 2019-20 season, is the two time Horizon League Coach of the Year. He has led the Vikings to the NCAA Tournament once in three seasons, losing to Houston in the 1st round in 2021. Gates' overall record as head coach at Cleveland State is 50-40.

Cleveland State just wrapped up a 20-11 season with a 1st round loss in the NIT to Xavier. Prior to his time at Cleveland State Gates was an assistant to Leonard Hamilton at Florida State. He was on the bench in Tallahassee for 8 years, including FSU's 2018 Elite Eight run that started with a 1st round win over Missouri."

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Tiger fans are hating the hire. But this was always going to end like this. A big name was never going to go to Columbia. It was always going to be a guy with potential. Let’s just hope he is successful at Mizzou. But more importantly, let’s hope KE is successful here.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Xavier is hiring Sean Miller, so at this point if Matt McMahon is looking to move on from Murray State the power conference jobs available are Kansas State, South Carolina and Mississippi State.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Tiger fans are hating the hire. But this was always going to end like this. A big name was never going to go to Columbia. It was always going to be a guy with potential. Let’s just hope he is successful at Mizzou. But more importantly, let’s hope KE is successful here.
My bet is Kim kills it at Mason and stays here just long enough for Maryland to get sick of Willard, then takes that job 4-5 years from now and stays there for a long time.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Oh my, the things being posted on TigerBoard. I am sure it doesn't reflect most Mizzou fans, but I can't believe what I am reading.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Just read that LSU is trying to get Gates before he agrees to accept MU’s offer. I hate LSU.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

If I was a Saint Joe’s fan, I’d be absolutely disgusted to be stuck with Billy Lange given what is happening with the quality of coaching in the A-10. Their AD should admit she screwed up and cut bait because they’re not getting out of the pillow fight round with Lange as coach.

Completely agree and I’ve been thinking about this the last day or so. Between Mason hiring English, URI hiring Miller, Fordham getting Neptune plus the already quality coaches up and down from Rhoades to Ford to Mooney to Schmidt etc, the league got a tune up. Lasalle St Joes and even Duquense are going to be left in the dust at this juncture.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Right you are, Jim.

Jordan Hall just announced he's leaving SJU to turn pro, which IMO is the right move. One more mediocre year and Hall's pro prospects plummet more than they already have.

SJU has lost half their team, including their leading scorers, Hall and Funk. Who in their right mind wants to transfer into SJU next year to play for a lame duck coach and a bottom-feeder?

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Reports are that Mizzou wanted McMahon but he wants the South Carolina job. If Gates had said no, I think English was going to be next.