2022-23 Out of Conference Schedule

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Two games last year CKE without question got himself: Kansas and Wisconsin. Other than that I know of one that he didn’t get and several others (specifically buy games) that the AD and his staff did. I have two cousins and an uncle (1 former D1 AD and 2 D2-3 ADs). The former D1 was at a New England based school that is very much an equivalent to GMU and outside of 2-3 games that the coach had/needed connections to secure the AD and his staff played a vital role in securing and scheduling. These Longwood, Queens, Navy etc games are not coming from CKE or anyone on the basketball staff. To be so definitive about basketball staff doing everything but the budget and EBA scheduling is just factually wrong

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We aren’t an SEC school that has speciality staff for scheduling. Duane Simpkins isn’t figuring out calendar dates for the home game vs Mt St Mary’s. SEC schools have people for that. GMU uses the AD for help/scheduling

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Again, AD that I talked to allows his staff to set the schedule. He’s a small school AD, not a HM AD. Also, again, he previously worked for an upper-echelon A10 school, and said that it was largely the same way there.

At a HM school, you would probably have a Sport Administrator that could have some influence over scheduling for several reasons, such as making sure you are playing a game in a key fundraising market.

Based on my experience working in college athletics at Princeton and at Tennessee, the department has an operations and scheduling person/office who would work on scheduling the actual dates and worrying about facility availability, but no involvement in determine the actual opponent.

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So when CKE said we would play anyone anywhere he forgot to mention the part about Brad letting him??? Not buying it.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I just spoke to someone at Mason who confirmed that while the staff and AD get together to plan the goals of the schedule, the coaches are the ones who predominantly put it together.
What does predominantly mean? Coaches do everything but buy game budget and eba calendar like you said previously?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So when CKE said we would play anyone anywhere he forgot to mention the part about Brad letting him??? Not buying it.
Us having a DP level schedule this year isn’t proving the play anyone anywhere stance he’s taken. Neither was last years other when CKE stepped in and got us Kansas and Wisconsin.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If your AD is having to schedule games on a routine basis, you need to hire a new basketball coach because he’s not doing his job.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He can’t force people to want to play us.
Meh this is a cop out. Plenty of both better and worse teams than us schedule better than us. At some point when it’s July and pretty much none of your non-con is set, but you’ve already hammered your donor base on reupping season tickets blindly without knowing who is coming to town, someone gets held accountable. My argument throughout this whole thread is that blame should be equally laid on the AD (department not one person) and the coaching staff. Kim can’t say anyone anywhere then lock in queens college and talk about wanting to fill EBA. The AD has to know from the last few years the way we are scheduling isn’t putting asses in seats. Yet here we are, with what is shaping up to roughly be another Paulsen type schedule, after the AD and the coach have talked about improving this.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If your AD is having to schedule games on a routine basis, you need to hire a new basketball coach because he’s not doing his job.
You know who didn’t schedule a single game last year. Your champion Bill Self. This is such a weird hill.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Meh this is a cop out. Plenty of both better and worse teams than us schedule better than us. At some point when it’s July and pretty much none of your non-con is set, but you’ve already hammered your donor base on reupping season tickets blindly without knowing who is coming to town, someone gets held accountable. My argument throughout this whole thread is that blame should be equally laid on the AD (department not one person) and the coaching staff. Kim can’t say anyone anywhere then lock in queens college and talk about wanting to fill EBA. The AD has to know from the last few years the way we are scheduling isn’t putting asses in seats. Yet here we are, with what is shaping up to roughly be another Paulsen type schedule, after the AD and the coach have talked about improving this.
Not a cop out at all, it’s a reality.

vcu went to seven straight NCAA tournaments at one point, Dayton was in the top-5 nationally two years ago and neither can get a good P5 to play home and home. And you think by some magic pixie dust Kim is supposed to schedule better than they do with a program that hasn’t sniffed the dance in 11 years?

We all want better opponents at home, but there is literally no upside to a P5 agreeing to play in Fairfax unless we get so good the metrics won’t crush them for losing.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not a cop out at all, it’s a reality.

vcu went to seven straight NCAA tournaments at one point, Dayton was in the top-5 nationally two years ago and neither can get a good P5 to play home and home. And you think by some magic pixie dust Kim is supposed to schedule better than they do with a program that hasn’t sniffed the dance in 11 years?

We all want better opponents at home, but there is literally no upside to a P5 agreeing to play in Fairfax unless we get so good the metrics won’t crush them for losing.
Umass, URI and St Joes all consistently schedule better than us. Umass hasn’t had success since I was in middle school. It is a cop out King

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You know who didn’t schedule a single game last year. Your champion Bill Self. This is such a weird hill.
Have to imagine that this is false.

Kansas played Tarleton State and Stephen F Austin last year. Tarleton State is coached by Billy Gillespie, a former Bill Self Assistant. Stephen F Austin is coached by Kyle Keller, another former Bill Self Assistant.

You’re probably right though, instead of Bill calling up guys he’s known for over a decade, the Kansas Athletics Director set those games up on the same day he scheduled the South Dakota football game.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I get not liking the Queens game. Nobody is going to like that one.

What are the thoughts about Toledo? Do you guys hate that one too?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I get not liking the Queens game. Nobody is going to like that one.

What are the thoughts about Toledo? Do you guys hate that one too?

I think they are expecting English to schedule a home game with Duke, UCLA, and UConn or something. If we are playing blue bloods, best bet we will be on the road with no return game.

Toledo should be a pretty good game, solid mid-major, won their conference last season with a 25-8 record. Top 100 NET.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think they are expecting English to schedule a home game with Duke, UCLA, and UConn or something. If we are playing blue bloods, best bet we will be on the road with no return game.

Toledo should be a pretty good game, solid mid-major, won their conference last season with a 25-8 record. Top 100 NET.
Nobody is asking for a home game against a blue blood, Navy being our second best home opponent each non conference is not cutting it.