2022-23 Out of Conference Schedule

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The problem with that part of the schedule last year was that it backed up to the MTE in my opinion.
My problem with that part of the schedule last year was:
Tues, Nov 16: stayed in College Park hotel
Wed, Nov 17: night game in CP, then drove to Harrisonburg, stayed in hotel
Thur, Nov 18: stayed in Harrisonburg hotel
Fri, Nov 19: night game in Harrisonburg, then drive home
Sat, Nov 20: fly to South Dakota

We could've played both games and the guys could've slept in their own beds all week. I understand wanting to spend the night prior to a road game in a hotel, but we saw how tired they looked at JMU and in SD.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My problem with that part of the schedule last year was:
Tues, Nov 16: stayed in College Park hotel
Wed, Nov 17: night game in CP, then drove to Harrisonburg, stayed in hotel
Thur, Nov 18: stayed in Harrisonburg hotel
Fri, Nov 19: night game in Harrisonburg, then drive home
Sat, Nov 20: fly to South Dakota

We could've played both games and the guys could've slept in their own beds all week. I understand wanting to spend the night prior to a road game in a hotel, but we saw how tired they looked at JMU and in SD.
Hmm, definitely info I did not know. Agreed, why get hotels for those games? Perhaps 1 of them, but even that wasn't necessary...Oh well...hopefully GMU goes 10-3 with no bad losses this OOC and we forget about that.

Old Ram

Preferred Walk-On
We both live 3.5+ hour flights away. Do any of those games make you want to book a plane ticket? I did it last year and would again if something enticed me. This schedule is boring. Tulane in Chicago and @st Louis are the only two I am considering this year outside of maybe HC. Need some cream puffs but this schedule leaves a lot to be desired considering what some of our equals in the A10 are pulling in.
I guess I would ask who you view as our “equals”.

Our overall record in the A10 is 62-92. If we want to look at the rosier portion of our history, our A10 record for the last five years is 40-44. We aren’t vcu, Dayton, Davidson, UR or St. Bonnie. Heck, even SLU has been 49-33 and URI has been 49-39 the last five years. Want to really look deeper? We are only about 5 games better than Duquesne (they are) 36-49.

Bill Parcells said you are what your record says you are. Our record does not say “Good Mid-Major”. I believe KE can get Mason to that point, however don’t expect other schools to schedule us with that mindset.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I guess I would ask who you view as our “equals”.

Our overall record in the A10 is 62-92. If we want to look at the rosier portion of our history, our A10 record for the last five years is 40-44. We aren’t vcu, Dayton, Davidson, UR or St. Bonnie. Heck, even SLU has been 49-33 and URI has been 49-39 the last five years. Want to really look deeper? We are only about 5 games better than Duquesne (they are) 36-49.

Bill Parcells said you are what your record says you are. Our record does not say “Good Mid-Major”. I believe KE can get Mason to that point, however don’t expect other schools to schedule us with that mindset.
We are in the A-10 a top 2 mid major conference. We are also one of the only schools in said conference that seems to be unable to get multiple quality opponents at home/neutral sites each year. Toledo is the one home game that fits all wants of a home game. The rest of our games are very clearly buy games. Maybe Hofstra but the CAA is absolute dog shit this year and Longwood is a bad basketball program that has had one good year since Mike Morrison was porking all the fat girls in Potomac.
A 14-15 Tulane is our premier neutral site game while other teams in the A-10 get to play much better on neutral sites. I can buy these claims that we aren't good enough nor bad enough for teams to come play us at home but I am seeing A10 teams of our same ilk pull in much better MTE tournies and neutral court games and I guess I am wondering why not us? I will create a separate post with some of the highlights of other A10 teams schedules

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Other A-10 schedule highlights so far by team (about 25% of A10 schedules are currently out), for all purposes this will just highlight neutral site and home games that our A-10 brethren have been able to secure for this year.

Davidson: (3 home games yet to be released)
San Francisco (home) top 3 WCC team and someone @tblack33 and others have wanted for years
Purdue (neutral)
South Carolina (neutral)
possibility of VA tech (neutral)

Dayton
SMU (home)
Wisconsin (neutral)
Kansas or NC St (neutral)
Butler/BYU/USC/Tenn (neutral)

Duquesne
Depaul (home) Big East
Marshall (home)
Winthrop (home) 1st place Big South
Colgate (neutral) won Patriot League

Fordham
Can't find jack shit

GW (3 home games left to schedule)
South Carolina (home)
Wash St (neutral)
Iona/SMU (neutral)

Lasalle (3 home games left to schedule)
Villanova (neutral)
Wake Forest (neutral)
Georgetown (neutral)
Temple (home)

Loyola
Stanford (neutral)
Depaul (home)
Clemson (neutral)
Tulsa (neutral)
Boise St (neutral)
Texas A+M/Colorado/Murray St (neutral)

UMASS (3 home games left to schedule) Martin tweeted something big coming also
Towson (home)
Colorado (neutral)
Texas A+M/Murray St (neutral)
Boise St/Tulsa (neutral)

Rhode Island (1 game left)
Providence (home)
Kansas St (Neutral)
Nevada/Tulane (neutral)
LSU/Western Kentucky (neutral)

Richmond (two games left)
Northern Iowa (home)
Syracuse (neutral)
St Johns/Temple (neutral)
Clemson (neutral)

St Joe's
Houston (neutral)
Georgia (neutral)
UAB/USF (neutral)
Villanova (home)
St Peter's (home)

St Louis
Murray St (home)
Memphis (home)
Maryland (neutral)
Providence/Miami (neutral)
Boise St (home)
Drake (home)

St Bonaventure
Bowling Green (home)
Middle Tennessee (home)
Notre Dame (neutral)
Iona (neutral)

vcu (3 left to schedule)
Pitt (neutral)
AZ St/Michigan (neutral)
Vanderbilt (home)

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I'm going to look at our schedule with one thought in mind. DANCING in March! KE has said that the goal this year, and every year for that matter, is to compete for an A10 Championship and at-large NCAA bid. It's time to deliver. IMO we'll need to be 12-1 or 11-2 at worst in the OOC portion of our schedule given the lack of quality opponents. 13 - 5 or 12-6 in conference puts us at 23/24 wins which would be a must to be in the discussion. A loss to Longwood, American, Queens, Hofstra, Toledo, UMES, Tulane, ODU, or Coppin St. and we are immediately out of the discussion.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We both live 3.5+ hour flights away. Do any of those games make you want to book a plane ticket? I did it last year and would again if something enticed me. This schedule is boring. Tulane in Chicago and @st Louis are the only two I am considering this year outside of maybe HC. Need some cream puffs but this schedule leaves a lot to be desired considering what some of our equals in the A10 are pulling in.
I was mostly talking about the local crowd with that comment.

Agreed it could be better, but it would most likely be swapping home games for road games at this point in our program.

Ideally you’d want to look at the MVC, MAC, or solid mid-major programs (ie Winthrop, Vermont, etc.) to try to set up home-and-homes.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I was mostly talking about the local crowd with that comment.

Agreed it could be better, but it would most likely be swapping home games for road games at this point in our program.

Ideally you’d want to look at the MVC, MAC, or solid mid-major programs (ie Winthrop, Vermont, etc.) to try to set up home-and-homes.
Funny enough I walked by someone with a Vermont mens' basketball shirt last night and was thinking that they'd be a good home and home. I know L did one with them years ago. I know the landscape has changed but he had some good/decent home and homes (Creighton (pre big east), Dayton, Vermont, GW, Tulane, UVA just to name a few). They didn't buy as many home games back then.

Hopefully with a good season, they can replace ODU with a quality h/h opponent, get a better MTE, and be invited to better neutral games (maybe 2 or 3).

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Duquesne
Depaul (home) Big East

GW (3 home games left to schedule)
South Carolina (home)

Lasalle (3 home games left to schedule)
Temple (home)

Loyola
Depaul (home)

Rhode Island (1 game left)
Providence (home)

St Joe's
Villanova (home)

St Louis
Memphis (home)
Interesting list. I understand how Loyola gets DePaul at home, but Duquesne???? Does DePaul have a kid from Pittsburgh that they want to give a homecoming game to?

LaSalle hosting Temple and St Joe's hosting Villanova have to be games where they are the home team, but the game is at the Palestra. If that is indeed the case, does the NET classify that as a neutral site game the way the old RPI did?

Good gets for GW, URI and SLU.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Other A-10 schedule highlights so far by team (about 25% of A10 schedules are currently out), for all purposes this will just highlight neutral site and home games that our A-10 brethren have been able to secure for this year.

Fordham
Can't find jack shit
Fordham OOC to date

Fordham
11/7/2022DARTMOUTH
11/11/2022@ Arkansas
11/19/2022UIC
11/22/2022STONEHILL
11/21/2022HOLY CROSS
11/27/2022HARVARD
12/3/2022@ Tulane
12/9/2022BINGHAMTON
12/22/2022VMI
New Hampshire

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not a complaint (yet), just an observation for now. CKE hasn't been thrown a bone from any of his former waypoints, like Tennessee, Colorado or Tulsa and yet it seems he has done a favor to Queens. If he doesn't start getting some favors from higher programs he has connections that you might expect it from, I would hope that he would rethink doing the same for lower programs. I guess this is where it would turn to a complaint from me if it continues to be one sided.

Am I being selective in my counting, though? Should I be including Kansas, Wisconsin (almost) and Auburn in the plus column?

Edited to change typo of Tulane -> Tulsa (too many T teams in my head).

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Interesting list. I understand how Loyola gets DePaul at home, but Duquesne???? Does DePaul have a kid from Pittsburgh that they want to give a homecoming game to?

LaSalle hosting Temple and St Joe's hosting Villanova have to be games where they are the home team, but the game is at the Palestra. If that is indeed the case, does the NET classify that as a neutral site game the way the old RPI did?

Good gets for GW, URI and SLU.
The neutral games I believe are the Palestra games, I believe home means home on the others. I could be wrong but that's how i read it

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not a complaint (yet), just an observation for now. CKE hasn't been thrown a bone from any of his former waypoints, like Tennessee, Colorado or Tulane and yet it seems he has done a favor to Queens. If he doesn't start getting some favors from higher programs he has connections that you might expect it from, I would hope that he would rethink doing the same for lower programs. I guess this is where it would turn to a complaint from me if it continues to be one sided.

Am I being selective in my counting, though? Should I be including Kansas, Wisconsin (almost) and Auburn in the plus column?
you should def include Kansas, Tulane (Felton is BFFs with Hunter), Georgia and (almost Wisconsin) in the plus column. Although you can argue Tulane isn't a plus he still got a AAC school in a neutral site game even if they were not good last year

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
you should def include Kansas, Tulane (Felton is BFFs with Hunter), Georgia and (almost Wisconsin) in the plus column. Although you can argue Tulane isn't a plus he still got a AAC school in a neutral site game even if they were not good last year
Just to clarify one thing, I meant to put Tulsa (instead of Tulane) since he worked at Tulsa. Too man T-teams with Tulsa, Tulane and Toledo to keep them straight in my head...

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not a complaint (yet), just an observation for now. CKE hasn't been thrown a bone from any of his former waypoints, like Tennessee, Colorado or Tulsa and yet it seems he has done a favor to Queens. If he doesn't start getting some favors from higher programs he has connections that you might expect it from, I would hope that he would rethink doing the same for lower programs. I guess this is where it would turn to a complaint from me if it continues to be one sided.

Edited to change typo of Tulane -> Tulsa (too many T teams in my head).
i agree except that last year was KE's first year and that team was only partially his
This year's team is 90% "his" team
I expect him to start calling in favors once he gets to 100% his team

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
i agree except that last year was KE's first year and that team was only partially his
This year's team is 90% "his" team
I expect him to start calling in favors once he gets to 100% his team
I also believe that part of being a coach - of anything -
is helping and reaching out to others

i look at the Queen's College game
as a one time "help" offer to a new coach and a new program
and if you are a believer
"Do Unto Others, as you would have them do unto you"
also holds in basketball scheduling, with some limits

i can truly understand that game on that level

BUT
as a fan, that game is not on my must see list
I think it would be much more fruitful, and in more than just basketball
to schedule Howard, say a 4 year home and away series, as our sole Quad 4? opponent

schedule across all sports - which is already being done in volleyball, and swimming and diving and ..
and give it a name like the rivalry with GWU

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
old tournament
shifted to the new UBS Arena in Belmont NY

I look forward to this being GMU rather than the Bonnies
(and no hate intended on the Bonnies - their record shows that they have earned and deserve this)

and our new cheer will be
"started from the bottom third, now we're here"

1660767440812.png

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
add Missouri to that list

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
LaSalle vs Temple and St. Joe's hosting Villanova are Big 5 games
Penn's home court, the Palestra, has a larger capacity than LaSalle's and St. Joe's arena

so depending upon availability of the Palestra those rivalry games are played there
in some years, for the Big 5 games, Penn is the Away team on their home court,
when the ticket demand is predicted to be higher than the capacity of St Joe's or LaSalle's arenas