2022-2023 Season; Hopes, Dreams, Wishes, Analysis & Predictions

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Alright I finally have time to sit down and type out some thoughts. I’ll lead by saying this: I’m probably going to be wrong, and I am rooting for this being wrong.

I think we are going to be the most talented team in recent history to finish bottom half of the league. I think we absolutely have the most talented team that we’ve had since 2010-2011, but our roster makeup is downright perplexing in some ways.

We are one of the oldest teams in the league, but will potentially be relying on big minutes from multiple true freshman, including potentially at our starting PG spot.

We are deeper than we have been in years, but somehow still not very deep outside the 2-4. For all the talk from the staff on how hard it was on tickets body to play the 4 in the A10 all year this year — everyone is still projecting him to start and play most of his minutes there! And it’s because we don’t have other options.

No one can still tell you with any inkling of authority who our starting PG is. I’ve already harped about this enough but none of our three options inspire a ton of confidence. It seems our best option is starting Dinkins, who as much as I love I think is going to have serious growing pains adapting to the college game. We have seen year in year out that below average PG play can and will single-handedly lose you games. How we were unable to solidify that position beyond a doubt still baffles me.

Finally, the league is just pretty brutal this year. Talent is way up across the board, and the middle of the pack teams are going to beat the dog shit out of each other. If you can look at our schedule and pencil in away wins at all of the top teams we have to go to then pass me a bottle of whatever you are drinking. It’s brutal.

My heart agrees with the 4-5 projections I’ve seen, but my head is telling me 7-9 with a stupidly talented team because the roster is not balanced.

I’m absolutely rooting to be wrong, but this is just what I’m thinking on a Sunday in September. Maybe this will spur some discussion where we really take a little harder look at our projected minutes getters and how that plays out on a court.
Total respect for your opinion and the confusion about PG play. KE is confident on Singleton helping out there and giving the program what we need to win, but I get the skepticism.

I too hope you are wrong and once again going to say that I have high expectations for the program. I'm tired of losing (I'm tired of writing "I'm tired of losing") and completely expect big things this year with the experience and improved depth up and down the roster. I know the league has improved and brought in better coaches, but there are still some new coaches (Urgo is new ish, McKillop is new-ish, Martin, Miller) who will need some time to adjust in some way shape or form. Obviously Archie coached in the A10 previously, but you still need to figure out your own program and that usually takes the first year.

When English came on board, I fully said that I expected to make the dance within 3-4 years. The expectations moved up with how recruiting improved drastically and additional depth after year 1. If it doesn't happen this year, I can't see it happening next year (at least right now). I know things can change quick though. The league is only improving all around and will get tougher. The time is now.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Total respect for your opinion and the confusion about PG play. KE is confident on Singleton helping out there and giving the program what we need to win, but I get the skepticism.

I too hope you are wrong and once again going to say that I have high expectations for the program. I'm tired of losing (I'm tired of writing "I'm tired of losing") and completely expect big things this year with the experience and improved depth up and down the roster. I know the league has improved and brought in better coaches, but there are still some new coaches (Urgo is new ish, McKillop is new-ish, Martin, Miller) who will need some time to adjust in some way shape or form. Obviously Archie coached in the A10 previously, but you still need to figure out your own program and that usually takes the first year.

When English came on board, I fully said that I expected to make the dance within 3-4 years. The expectations moved up with how recruiting improved drastically and additional depth after year 1. If it doesn't happen this year, I can't see it happening next year (at least right now). I know things can change quick though. The league is only improving all around and will get tougher. The time is now.
"The time is now." And that is exactly the way KE feels too. No more of this "two year team" stuff (excuse) that turned into "never team."

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm with @tblack33. I want to believe this is the year but there's just...something...in my heart that says we're one piece short. I feel like we'll end with a pretty decent record, but a few "good" wins shy of what we need. That being said, we're good enough for a double-bye, and anything can happen when you don't have to play until Friday.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I “think” we should be a much better defensive team this season for two reasons: 1) Bailey is a better defender than Schwartz was, same for Singleton vs. XJ/Polite and 2) we should be deeper, especially at the 5, 4, and at the wings with Athletes (capital A intentional) on the bench.

Whether or not our offensive efficiency takes a hit is a question of several things: 1) can Schwartz production be replicated by Bailey? 2) can Ticket be more consistently assertive and take over when he needs to, 3) is whoever plays at the PG spot be a black hole on offense or Make the team better, and finally 4) can whoever comes off the bench actually be counted on the produce points (not really interested in someone playing as many minutes as Blake did last season and scoring as few points as he did, for instance).

What does that all translate to? No idea. But a good defense will keep you in any game even if your offense isn’t all that great. An elite defense will win you a lot of games (see: vcu last season).

Junkees9

Sixth Man
This team has to be noticeably better. MUCH better depth (no more walkons being 1st off the bench and no longer a need to wear out the starters by playing 35 minutes a game all year), having our highest rated recruit in many years who has been practicing with the team for several months, a ton of experience returning including arguably the best big man in the league and transfers with lots of minutes under their belts, etc.. Barring key injuries, this team will be really good. Looking at the scholarship players, I'm having a hard time deciding who likely won't see many minutes -- P. Oduro, Nnaji, Henry, Jones? Looks to me like we will go 9 deep whereas last year we played 5 and said a prayer. Plus, KE now has a year of experience as a head coach and I imagine he would say he learned a lot last year that he can now apply to the this team.

FreeGunston12

All-American
This team has to be noticeably better. MUCH better depth (no more walkons being 1st off the bench and no longer a need to wear out the starters by playing 35 minutes a game all year), having our highest rated recruit in many years who has been practicing with the team for several months, a ton of experience returning including arguably the best big man in the league and transfers with lots of minutes under their belts, etc.. Barring key injuries, this team will be really good. Looking at the scholarship players, I'm having a hard time deciding who likely won't see many minutes -- P. Oduro, Nnaji, Henry, Jones? Looks to me like we will go 9 deep whereas last year we played 5 and said a prayer. Plus, KE now has a year of experience as a head coach and I imagine he would say he learned a lot last year that he can now apply to the this team.
Hopefully we can put more teams away early to give the starters a break too. Our largest margin of victory in conference was 10 (UMASS) and having 3 conference overtime games (1 of them going to double ot) definitely didn't help.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Hopefully we can put more teams away early to give the starters a break too. Our largest margin of victory in conference was 10 (UMASS) and having 3 conference overtime games (1 of them going to double ot) definitely didn't help.
This is a great point.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

See my comment above about how we should be a better defensive team. What I hope to see more of are late clock desperation threes by the opposition that lead to rebounds and runouts by Ticket or Fernandez or Singleton that end in monster dunks the other way.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The dates of the conference schedule will also play a significant role. Don't love the thought of playing at Loyola and then at Saint Louis the same road trip (smells like 2 L's to me).
I really can't comment on how good we are going to be without ever seeing Singleton play this year. If he truly is our PG (I hope to heck he is) I am not sure how anyone can grade this team as he has had severe health issues for the past year. If he is a mid tier PG for A10 we could be really good this year. If he and Polite are the same we might have a tough time winning close games especially on the road as neither of them can really shoot the ball and Ronnie had more success dribbling off his foot than past folks.
So here is to hoping Saquon is everything folks like Jim are banking on him being when calling us a for sure top 4 team and winning all of our home games. My best guess is still idk until we see the situation at the most important position in basketball

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The dates of the conference schedule will also play a significant role. Don't love the thought of playing at Loyola and then at Saint Louis the same road trip (smells like 2 L's to me).
I really can't comment on how good we are going to be without ever seeing Singleton play this year. If he truly is our PG (I hope to heck he is) I am not sure how anyone can grade this team as he has had severe health issues for the past year. If he is a mid tier PG for A10 we could be really good this year. If he and Polite are the same we might have a tough time winning close games especially on the road as neither of them can really shoot the ball and Ronnie had more success dribbling off his foot than past folks.
So here is to hoping Saquon is everything folks like Jim are banking on him being when calling us a for sure top 4 team and winning all of our home games. My best guess is still idk until we see the situation at the most important position in basketball
If Saquan was still limited in any way physically by his health situation, I highly doubt KE would have taken him as a 1-year transfer.

It does give me some pause that he doesn’t shoot the ball well, but our other 4 starters are all well above average in that regard so hopefully Saquan will blend well with those guys and facilitate while getting a few buckets where he can … honestly I’d rather have that with this group than a ballhog who was only looking to put up numbers.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Hopes

695728.jpg

Dreams

iu

Wishes

Veronika-Khomyn-.png

Analysis
Out of your league.

Predictions
Ain't happenin'.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023

The practice I watched Saquan played the entire time, didn't see any health effects. Our PG ailments last season was just not shooting so if he fulfills all the other aspects and just lacks shooting we're still way better off.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The practice I watched Saquan played the entire time, didn't see any health effects. Our PG ailments last season was just not shooting so if he fulfills all the other aspects and just lacks shooting we're still way better off.
Great to know, someone that can handle the tiniest bit of on ball pressure and a semblance of trying on defense and we are already cooking with fire.

I “think” we should be a much better defensive team this season for two reasons: 1) Bailey is a better defender than Schwartz was, same for Singleton vs. XJ/Polite and 2) we should be deeper, especially at the 5, 4, and at the wings with Athletes (capital A intentional) on the bench.

Whether or not our offensive efficiency takes a hit is a question of several things: 1) can Schwartz production be replicated by Bailey? 2) can Ticket be more consistently assertive and take over when he needs to, 3) is whoever plays at the PG spot be a black hole on offense or Make the team better, and finally 4) can whoever comes off the bench actually be counted on the produce points (not really interested in someone playing as many minutes as Blake did last season and scoring as few points as he did, for instance).

What does that all translate to? No idea. But a good defense will keep you in any game even if your offense isn’t all that great. An elite defense will win you a lot of games (see: vcu last season).
I think 1 & 2 can be answered in the same. Does Ticket take another step forward offensively and help replace Schwartz

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
When English came on board, I fully said that I expected to make the dance within 3-4 years. The expectations moved up with how recruiting improved drastically and additional depth after year 1.

I hope so and I'm still all-in on CKE. But so far we've got one 14-16 record and 8th place finish in the A10 to go off of. That in itself isn't alarm-raising given it's the first year for a first year coach and the state of the program when he took it over. But they did also finish the year w/a 3-9 record and that is alarming.

I think the team flashed w/a strong 4-0 start and a win on the road over Maryland, and then again mid-year going on a 4 win streak that included beating Dayton and St. Bonaventure. That's not enough to make me move up the timeline on realistic hopes for being back in the tourney. There's other A10 teams making use of the portal and recruiting well too, plus some of those have proven results and coaches. I think we're still at the potential stage.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I hope so and I'm still all-in on CKE. But so far we've got one 14-16 record and 8th place finish in the A10 to go off of. That in itself isn't alarm-raising given it's the first year for a first year coach and the state of the program when he took it over. But they did also finish the year w/a 3-9 record and that is alarming.

I think the team flashed w/a strong 4-0 start and a win on the road over Maryland, and then again mid-year going on a 4 win streak that included beating Dayton and St. Bonaventure. That's not enough to make me move up the timeline on realistic hopes for being back in the tourney. There's other A10 teams making use of the portal and recruiting well too, plus some of those have proven results and coaches. I think we're still at the potential stage.
Totally constructive and fair points too. I obviously have my green and gold colored glasses on to some degree.

That said I think between some of the new coaches needing some time to just figure things out in some way shape or form, some programs having a significantly new roster (Bonaventure and Richmond), there's room for a program like Mason that has several seniors and talented depth to ascend towards the top of the league. I think its only going to get harder considering how the league continues to improve all around.

Its very much potential at this stage but this is the most optimistic and had (some) legitimate expectations since year 4 of Paulsen.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Alright I finally have time to sit down and type out some thoughts. I’ll lead by saying this: I’m probably going to be wrong, and I am rooting for this being wrong.

I think we are going to be the most talented team in recent history to finish bottom half of the league. I think we absolutely have the most talented team that we’ve had since 2010-2011, but our roster makeup is downright perplexing in some ways.

We are one of the oldest teams in the league, but will potentially be relying on big minutes from multiple true freshman, including potentially at our starting PG spot.
I may be one of the few guys to have been upset from Day 1 to see XJ transfer out. Far from a perfect player, but he was much better than the constant dumping-on he was subjected to. His 4.6 assists per game was one of the highest ever for a Mason player.

That said, I think the need for a pure point-guard is significantly mitigated by a faster style of play that emphasizes fast breaks, getting the ball up the court more quickly, and movement. We saw that w/the 10-11 too and no true PG.

We are deeper than we have been in years, but somehow still not very deep outside the 2-4. For all the talk from the staff on how hard it was on tickets body to play the 4 in the A10 all year this year — everyone is still projecting him to start and play most of his minutes there! And it’s because we don’t have other options.
Maybe not too many options w/that exact style of lineup, but more pieces to tinker with in the front-court, like an Oduro Ojiako match w/Ticket as more of a wing. Or a 4 guard lineup with the ability to put plenty of height on the floor between Ticket, Cooper, Bailey, Fernandez, and Singleton; 5 guys w/range all out to the arc and 6'4" or taller. Or the other direction and go w/three bigs, like Ojiako, Oduro and Jones at the 5, 4 & 3 positions as well as Singleton and Bailey or Gaines. That's a huge lineup w/a pair of guys that can still stretch the floor by being legit threats from deep.

I also feel like Blake Jones takes a significant step forward this year and can take some of those minutes. He's listed on the roster at 216 lbs, which will never get him confused for Shaquille O'Neal, but is 16 lbs heavier than he was listed last year and feels like a very positive sign about his off-season prep for year 2.

Finally, the league is just pretty brutal this year. Talent is way up across the board, and the middle of the pack teams are going to beat the dog shit out of each other. If you can look at our schedule and pencil in away wins at all of the top teams we have to go to then pass me a bottle of whatever you are drinking. It’s brutal.
Yep. St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Chicago, Dayton, Kingston... there's some tough ones in there.

But we also get St. Joes, La Salle, GW, Fordham, UMass, and Davidson at home. I don't see anyone in that list that makes me think, yep, we're probably gonna lose that one.

Optimistically, 8-1 at home and 3-6 on the road for an 11-7 finish? That's probably good for either 4th place finish and the last Day 3 bid, or a 5th place finish and matched to the #4 seed on a neutral court for a chance to make the semis.

It's def. a brutal league this year, but it's brutal for everyone else too.
Dayton has to play vcu twice and St. Louis on the road.
St. Louis also has to play vcu twice and at Richmond, Loyola, and UMass.
vcu has four games against St. Louis and Dayton. Richmond twice which is a rivalry both teams are always up for, and play at Rhode Island, Loyola, and Davidson.
Loyola has to play in a new gymnasium and travel arrangements against new teams w/players and a coaching style they're not familiar with every conference game this year.
UMass has a new coach and turned over roster to come together. They start out on the road at St. Bonaventure, then get St. Louis, and then on the road to GW again. Plus we get them at home.
Davidson - can Matt fill Daddy's shoes? Guess we'll see.
Richmond - We get them at home, first conference game of the season, which is as about as ideal timing as we could hope. Tyler Burton is back, but no Golden, Gilyard, or Cayo. No Sherrod or Wilson either.

We have 3 starters back in Oduro, Cooper, and Gaines which is about as solid a trio as anyone has returning. Polite as a 4th returning starter if you count the final games. The top-ranked recruit in the A10 w/a head start on practicing w/the team, and an impact transfer that's already had two seasons w/our coach.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
In Kim’s interview for The Almanac’s preseason preview, he says to “look out” for Dinkins. Could it be we’ve been sleeping on the possibility of a true freshman starting at the point? I’ve always assumed he would need a year to get his legs under him but maybe not…