All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I thought that was a pretty good preview. He could have wrote like 5000 words on each team but he summed up each program pretty well.

I’m not sure I agree with all the rankings but that’s fine. It’s just talk and it really doesn’t matter. No right or wrong.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
As we look forward to the season I am interested to hear what people think about what minutes players will earn.

Last year we had 5 guys average 30+ minutes. Oduro 31.5, Schwartz 35.8, Cooper 32.9, Gaines 33.0, and XJ 30.7. This was due in large part to the fact that we really had NO depth last year. When a walk-on and bricklayer are first off the bench success is hard to achieve. That should not be the case this year, at least I hope that is not the case. So, with the departure of Schwartz and XJ there are lots of prime minutes available. On multiple occasions KE referred to us being fatigued due to the work load, or overuse of players due to no confidence in the bench. If we REALLY have the depth that should not be an issue the season.

Questions: Will KE stick to his plan of having an 8 man rotation by the time league play comes around? Or will the rotation be expanded due to our depth? These questions will play a large part in minutes earned.

So, 200 minutes to fill. Here's what I am thinking on September 3. My predictions are based on the season averages when it's all said and done. No doubt I will be correct on some and off or way off on others.

Oduro - 30 (31.5 last year)
Ojiaku - 10
Gaines - 25 (33.0 last year) He needs some time off this year given how hard he plays.
Nnaji - 10
Bailey - 20
Cooper - 20 (32.9 last year). I see Bailey taking minutes because the two are interchangeable.
Fernandez - 15 to 20
Polite - 20 The main question still revolves around the points and who earns minutes.
Singleton - 20
Jones - 10
Henry - 5 (hoping he really steps up).
Dinkins - 10 (Again, point minutes will be fun to watch, could be more)

Thoughts? This should get interesting......

Hurry up season!!!! Damn, it's been too long. In any event, I'm looking to dance come March.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
As we look forward to the season I am interested to hear what people think about what minutes players will earn.

Last year we had 5 guys average 30+ minutes. Oduro 31.5, Schwartz 35.8, Cooper 32.9, Gaines 33.0, and XJ 30.7. This was due in large part to the fact that we really had NO depth last year. When a walk-on and bricklayer are first off the bench success is hard to achieve. That should not be the case this year, at least I hope that is not the case. So, with the departure of Schwartz and XJ there are lots of prime minutes available. On multiple occasions KE referred to us being fatigued due to the work load, or overuse of players due to no confidence in the bench. If we REALLY have the depth that should not be an issue the season.

Questions: Will KE stick to his plan of having an 8 man rotation by the time league play comes around? Or will the rotation be expanded due to our depth? These questions will play a large part in minutes earned.

So, 200 minutes to fill. Here's what I am thinking on September 3. My predictions are based on the season averages when it's all said and done. No doubt I will be correct on some and off or way off on others.

Oduro - 30 (31.5 last year)
Ojiaku - 10
Gaines - 25 (33.0 last year) He needs some time off this year given how hard he plays.
Nnaji - 10
Bailey - 20
Cooper - 20 (32.9 last year). I see Bailey taking minutes because the two are interchangeable.
Fernandez - 15 to 20
Polite - 20 The main question still revolves around the points and who earns minutes.
Singleton - 20
Jones - 10
Henry - 5 (hoping he really steps up).
Dinkins - 10 (Again, point minutes will be fun to watch, could be more)

Thoughts? This should get interesting......

Hurry up season!!!! Damn, it's been too long. In any event, I'm looking to dance come March.
Oduro at 30 feels right, but I think Ticket, Bailey and Cooper will all be between 25 and 30 depending on matchups. And of course these are averages … assuming we’ll have some lopsided wins where the younger guys play more and closer games where the veterans still log most of the minutes.

Oduro — 30
Ticket — 28
Bailey — 28
Cooper — 25
Singleton — 25
JF — 18
Jones — 15
Nnaji — 10
Ojiako — 10
Polite or Dinkins — 10

That’s 199 of 200 minutes. Obviously not exact because I do think 12 of the 13 scholarship players will get minutes … wonder if they might try to redshirt P. Oduro for development purposes.

But this is a win-now team. And that means playing the seniors most of the time when it matters.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
That’s 199 of 200 minutes. Obviously not exact because I do think 12 of the 13 scholarship players will get minutes … wonder if they might try to redshirt P. Oduro for development purposes.

But this is a win-now team. And that means playing the seniors most of the time when it matters.
Well, hell if you aren't going to fill the full 200 minutes I can't move on with my day. ;) LOL.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
start of season
all starters 30 mins each
#6-7 12 mins each
#7-8 10 min each
#9-#10 3 mins each

Start of conference season - starters known and rotations set
Oduru - 30
Ticket - 25
Bailey - 25
Cooper - 25
Singleton - 25

130 of the 200 to starters

Fernandez - 15
Henry - 10
Ojiako - 10
Polite - 10
Dinkins - 10
Jones - 10
Nnaji - 5

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Alright I finally have time to sit down and type out some thoughts. I’ll lead by saying this: I’m probably going to be wrong, and I am rooting for this being wrong.

I think we are going to be the most talented team in recent history to finish bottom half of the league. I think we absolutely have the most talented team that we’ve had since 2010-2011, but our roster makeup is downright perplexing in some ways.

We are one of the oldest teams in the league, but will potentially be relying on big minutes from multiple true freshman, including potentially at our starting PG spot.

We are deeper than we have been in years, but somehow still not very deep outside the 2-4. For all the talk from the staff on how hard it was on tickets body to play the 4 in the A10 all year this year — everyone is still projecting him to start and play most of his minutes there! And it’s because we don’t have other options.

No one can still tell you with any inkling of authority who our starting PG is. I’ve already harped about this enough but none of our three options inspire a ton of confidence. It seems our best option is starting Dinkins, who as much as I love I think is going to have serious growing pains adapting to the college game. We have seen year in year out that below average PG play can and will single-handedly lose you games. How we were unable to solidify that position beyond a doubt still baffles me.

Finally, the league is just pretty brutal this year. Talent is way up across the board, and the middle of the pack teams are going to beat the dog shit out of each other. If you can look at our schedule and pencil in away wins at all of the top teams we have to go to then pass me a bottle of whatever you are drinking. It’s brutal.

My heart agrees with the 4-5 projections I’ve seen, but my head is telling me 7-9 with a stupidly talented team because the roster is not balanced.

I’m absolutely rooting to be wrong, but this is just what I’m thinking on a Sunday in September. Maybe this will spur some discussion where we really take a little harder look at our projected minutes getters and how that plays out on a court.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Alright I finally have time to sit down and type out some thoughts. I’ll lead by saying this: I’m probably going to be wrong, and I am rooting for this being wrong.

I think we are going to be the most talented team in recent history to finish bottom half of the league. I think we absolutely have the most talented team that we’ve had since 2010-2011, but our roster makeup is downright perplexing in some ways.

We are one of the oldest teams in the league, but will potentially be relying on big minutes from multiple true freshman, including potentially at our starting PG spot.

We are deeper than we have been in years, but somehow still not very deep outside the 2-4. For all the talk from the staff on how hard it was on tickets body to play the 4 in the A10 all year this year — everyone is still projecting him to start and play most of his minutes there! And it’s because we don’t have other options.

No one can still tell you with any inkling of authority who our starting PG is. I’ve already harped about this enough but none of our three options inspire a ton of confidence. It seems our best option is starting Dinkins, who as much as I love I think is going to have serious growing pains adapting to the college game. We have seen year in year out that below average PG play can and will single-handedly lose you games. How we were unable to solidify that position beyond a doubt still baffles me.

Finally, the league is just pretty brutal this year. Talent is way up across the board, and the middle of the pack teams are going to beat the dog shit out of each other. If you can look at our schedule and pencil in away wins at all of the top teams we have to go to then pass me a bottle of whatever you are drinking. It’s brutal.

My heart agrees with the 4-5 projections I’ve seen, but my head is telling me 7-9 with a stupidly talented team because the roster is not balanced.

I’m absolutely rooting to be wrong, but this is just what I’m thinking on a Sunday in September. Maybe this will spur some discussion where we really take a little harder look at our projected minutes getters and how that plays out on a court.
With all due respect I disagree with just about all of this post other than the failure to land a top-shelf PG out of the portal … I also remain baffled by that one, can’t lie.

Even with the questions at that spot, though, this roster is deeper, more talented and far more versatile than it was last season. We now have the flexibility to play big or small, go fast or grind it out in the half-court, and for the first time since 2011 we have at least 12 guys who belong physically at our level of competition. That’s not nothing.

And while the top 2 teams in the A-10 are loaded, our foursome of Oduro-Ticket-Bailey-Cooper is better than anyone else in the league will put on the floor in early November.

The conference schedule is brutal but this is a team built to finally make the top 4 and that should be the expectation IMHO.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

If we don't start to win this year I don't know that we ever will. Mediocrity breeds mediocrity as we all know far too well given the past 11 years. If we do finish in the 7 - 9 range I will be pissed. Total respect for your opinion.

FreeGunston12

All-American

I don't really get the concern about depth at the 4. We are talking about covering about 10 minutes a game when Ticket is on the bench. For those 10 minutes we have options: Jones (who needs to take a step forward), Nnaji (who I think will be serviceable in that role). We can go big with Josh and someone at the 5 now that we have better depth there. Or perhaps we could even go small against some teams with Fernandez playing some there alongside Cooper and Bailey. I don't think the 4 is as much an issue this season.

PG play will be the limitation on this team. Not sure which of the 3 will emerge in that slot but at least there are 3 viable options that need to compete to earn those minutes. Coach seems confident in that group. I hope Singleton's heart issue has resolved by this point.

No better time to get over that top 4 hump than this year. It would be a shame to see Josh Oduro's time pass without a real run at the A-10 championship or NCAA tournament.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
With all due respect I disagree with just about all of this post other than the failure to land a top-shelf PG out of the portal … I also remain baffled by that one, can’t lie.

Even with the questions at that spot, though, this roster is deeper, more talented and far more versatile than it was last season. We now have the flexibility to play big or small, go fast or grind it out in the half-court, and for the first time since 2011 we have at least 12 guys who belong physically at our level of competition. That’s not nothing.

And while the top 2 teams in the A-10 are loaded, our foursome of Oduro-Ticket-Bailey-Cooper is better than anyone else in the league will put on the floor in early November.

The conference schedule is brutal but this is a team built to finally make the top 4 and that should be the expectation IMHO.
See that’s the thing — I still don’t disagree with almost anything you said here. I think this is the most talented team we’ve had in a decade, and I think it gives a lot of room for versatility, but at the same time I think the roster construction really heavily relies on everything breaking right all year long at a couple of key positions. Maybe im just scarred from years of us stealing defeat from the jaws of victory, but looking at our matchups, particularly our away slate in conference, im seeing more Ls than others. I look forward to being wrong on this.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
See that’s the thing — I still don’t disagree with almost anything you said here. I think this is the most talented team we’ve had in a decade, and I think it gives a lot of room for versatility, but at the same time I think the roster construction really heavily relies on everything breaking right all year long at a couple of key positions. Maybe im just scarred from years of us stealing defeat from the jaws of victory, but looking at our matchups, particularly our away slate in conference, im seeing more Ls than others. I look forward to being wrong on this.
The road schedule is daunting, no doubt, but a team that starts two sixth-year guys, a fifth-year and two seniors should be unfazed by hostile crowds.

Not to make light of something serious like PTSD, but I think we all have it to some degree because of the last 10 years. Hopefully this team will show it’s OK to have hope again.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Here’s the thing. If we win our home games, we only have to go 2-7 on the road to match our best ever A10 finish. Go 3-6 and we might be top 4

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If we don't start to win this year I don't know that we ever will. Mediocrity breeds mediocrity as we all know far too well given the past 11 years. If we do finish in the 7 - 9 range I will be pissed. Total respect for your opinion.
Yes, that's the thing. In order to win, you first have to win. Or put another way, you have to win before you can win. You have to have that breakthrough season where you finish better than you ever have before (win the games you're supposed to win, don't lose games you shouldn't, and then pull an upset or two). THEN, you will be better able to sell the program, and be more than just "in the conversation" with top recruits, but actually sign them. KE has done a great job signing and getting guys to at least look at us. But in order to take it to the next level, we have to win...lot's of games, be in the top 4, reach the NCAAs, etc.