Variable schedule for the last week of the regular season
split conference into 3 divisions of 5 teams each
#1's in each division play each other
#2's play each other, etc, etc

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
True. But if we beat them....

To beat Dayton, Ojiako has to be even better defensively than we hope and whoever is handling the ball against Malachi has to be Fort Knox.

If we are better defensively next season, we have a little bit of a better chance against SLU, but not much (we didn’t have to worry about Pickett or Perkins).

vcu is always tough because of their style of play.

Who knows what Bona will look like. They basically have an entirely different team. But Schmidt is a great coach and will want to avenge their loss to us at home last season.

Still, win the games at home, split of the road, is always the base strategy. With an 18 game schedule a 4-5 road split and an 9-0 home record puts you at 13-5 (best ever finish).

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We’re definitely not going to lack for Quad 1 opportunities next season. If we can find a way to win a few of them it will put us in position to get an at-large for the first time in more than a decade.

It’s gonna be tough but I’ll take that over having a “winning” record and a 100+ NET rating any day.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It sucks that there is no home and home with vcu but obviously they are trying to make sure vcu gets the best league schedule possible. Unfortunately with Loyola coming in things are a bit uneven so something had to be moved. Hopefully mason improves so that they get vcu at home.

Otherwise, easy home schedule tough road schedule. They will need to sneak at least a few wins on the road but that would only help a team like Mason. Going to be tough but Mason has done well at vcu in recent years so maybe that works out.

It is what it is, and hopefully the program can improve so we don’t feel like we are in the endless loop of being shafted in scheduling somehow.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
It sucks that there is no home and home with vcu but obviously they are trying to make sure vcu gets the best league schedule possible. Unfortunately with Loyola coming in things are a bit uneven so something had to be moved. Hopefully mason improves so that they get vcu at home.

Otherwise, easy home schedule tough road schedule. They will need to sneak at least a few wins on the road but that would only help a team like Mason. Going to be tough but Mason has done well at vcu in recent years so maybe that works out.

It is what it is, and hopefully the program can improve so we don’t feel like we are in the endless loop of being shafted in scheduling somehow.

We've never, ever seriously contended in this conference so we gotta do something to prove we deserve a good schedule. Sucks but it is what it is.

Honestly I'm fine taking a year off from vcu at home. We could all use a break from that.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The good about not playing vcu at home is that EBA won't smell of BO, cheap cologne, and stale fry oil since the ignorant, crayon coloring douchebags from Richmond won't make their annual "hitchhike" trek to Fairfax. Additionally, our fans won't sell their tickets resulting in me being surrounded by fat Ram fans. I'll take it.

patriotchild

Starter
as a season ticket holder, not stoked at all by the conference schedule which is what I hung my hat on to see good teams since our non conference home slate usually blows.

this imbalanced scheduling will kill ticket sales real quick if we lose a few of these home games and finish middle of the pack and contour getting duds at home.

But, if there was ever bulletin board material and motivation for English and the team this should be it. The conference thinks your prove them wrong.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
as a season ticket holder, not stoked at all by the conference schedule which is what I hung my hat on to see good teams since our non conference home slate usually blows.

this imbalanced scheduling will kill ticket sales real quick if we lose a few of these home games and finish middle of the pack and contour getting duds at home.

But, if there was ever bulletin board material and motivation for English and the team this should be it. The conference thinks your prove them wrong.
Yeah this kinda sucks, I will have tickets I probably won’t be able to give away for this home slate. It’s weird that I’m looking forward more to traveling for a few road games than anything that’s been unveiled for our home schedule so far. Just not a ton to get excited about unless something big gets announced. Hopefully the giveaways are on point this year to make up for it.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just win baby -that'll make up for the lackluster home slate.

This out of towner had the misfortune to attend the ODU and vcu games at home last year. Sad rides home...

Last edited:
OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

hopefully there will be a increase in the quality of the OOC teams to make up for some of this

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
At least we have GW and Richmond at home so those might get some local fan interest especially with the return of Caputo to Fairfax.

Loyola will intrigue fans because they are a well known basketball program with recent success. I have to think those will at least be interesting but it once again comes down to winning and if you win it doesn't matter who you play at home.

Best of all, the place will be packed to the rafters when Dave Paulsen comes back with Fordham!!! Maybe someone can hang a banner behind him to welcome him back. ;)

JPgmuswim

Starter
At least we have GW and Richmond at home so those might get some local fan interest especially with the return of Caputo to Fairfax.

Loyola will intrigue fans because they are a well known basketball program with recent success. I have to think those will at least be interesting but it once again comes down to winning and if you win it doesn't matter who you play at home.

Best of all, the place will be packed to the rafters when Dave Paulsen comes back with Fordham!!! Maybe someone can hang a banner behind him to welcome him back. ;)
I imagine it’ll be similar to when Freddie Freeman went back to Atlanta this past weekend. Standing Ovation

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

And for college basketball fans, Archie Miller-led URI

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Other than vcu at home, I don’t think the schedule will have much impact on attendance. Unfortunately I think some are giving too much credit to the Northern Virginia sports fans. Two years ago we hosted a top 5 Dayton team with a lottery pick player and only had 4,700 in attendance. The die hards are going to show up no matter what, but the local sports fans with no ties to Mason aren’t smart enough to know when a legit team is coming unless they have a power 5 name attached. Maybe I’m wrong.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Other than vcu at home, I don’t think the schedule will have much impact on attendance. Unfortunately I think some are giving too much credit to the Northern Virginia sports fans. Two years ago we hosted a top 5 Dayton team with a lottery pick player and only had 4,700 in attendance. The die hards are going to show up no matter what, but the local sports fans with no ties to Mason aren’t smart enough to know when a legit team is coming unless they have a power 5 name attached. Maybe I’m wrong.
When compared to the rest of that season for attendance I think that Dayton game was about double our season average, so context does matter there.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I mean maybe Loyola Chicago has a DC alum chapter so they bring 1000 of their own fans when we play them.

At the end of the day, if your program wins on the court this stuff takes care of itself especially come January/February if your program is in the NCAA bid hunt.

I mean maybe Loyola Chicago has a DC alum chapter so they bring 1000 of their own fans when we play them.

At the end of the day, if your program wins on the court this stuff takes care of itself especially come January/February if your program is in the NCAA bid hunt.

Fro lives in Chi-town. I know he's thrilled to be able to attend Mason games again.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
When compared to the rest of that season for attendance I think that Dayton game was about double our season average, so context does matter there.
Our season average was 4,037. Obviously weekday vs weekend comes into play and your going to have bumps with homecoming and vcu… but my argument is more based on a population rich area and a top 5 team should pull more 4,700. I just don’t think you have very knowledgeable fans in the area. I bet if we played a terrible power 5 team (like a Georgia last year), more people would attend that than a top 5 Dayton. Just my guess.