2021 Recruiting

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Apologies if someone has mentioned this:

Jordan Hairston from Texas A&M Corpus Christi is in the portal. He's a 6-foot guard from Centreville (Westfield & Flint Hill). Averaged 12.9 (44% from 3) his freshman year in 19-20, and battled injuries this past year. With the extra year of eligibility he's a redshirt sophomore. His dad Rodney played at Mason. He and KE have recently followed each other on twitter.
44%? Yes please.

He15man

Starter
New follow: David Jenkins Jr (G) UNLV. In the portal. Scorer. Looks strong.
https://247sports.com/college/unlv/Article/David-Jenkins-Jr-Commits-to-UNLV-132155538/

Interesting backstory on this kid and what took him from N. Dakota State to UNLV. Seems to really value/prioritize his relationships with coaches. Considering what this article says, it's a little odd that he now feels compelled to leave UNLV. But assuming his original priorities are in tact, I could see English really appealing to a kid like this.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
https://247sports.com/college/unlv/Article/David-Jenkins-Jr-Commits-to-UNLV-132155538/

Interesting backstory on this kid and what took him from N. Dakota State to UNLV. Seems to really value/prioritize his relationships with coaches. Considering what this article says, it's a little odd that he now feels compelled to leave UNLV. But assuming his original priorities are in tact, I could see English really appealing to a kid like this.

Jenkins’ dad went on Twitter and said this story isn’t true. But it’s interesting nonetheless.

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2021/mar/29/elite-shooter-david-jenkins-is-seventh-unlv-player/

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Wasnt UNLV’s coach hired by Iowa State?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Be still.. my heart

His numbers are underwhelming to say the least. Do you think he could be one of those guys who is better than what he has shown and just needs a chance?

Also curious what it says about Miller’s plans if KE lands both Schwartz and Gaines.

JPgmuswim

Starter
His numbers are underwhelming to say the least. Do you think he could be one of those guys who is better than what he has shown and just needs a chance?

Also curious what it says about Miller’s plans if KE lands both Schwartz and Gaines.
You would hope that English having spent the past 2 years with Gaines and now working out his new team he’d know if it’s an upgrade or not. On paper the numbers are definitely lacking.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Gaines would instantly become our defensive stopper. He's been buried on the depth chart for 2 years behind 5-star guys, and he's not yet shown an ability to be a big time scorer.

In the SEC tournament, he was put into the game for the first time with under a minute to go for a "must stop" defensive possession. Tennessee was down by 1, and Barnes knew that Alabama was going to get Herb Jones (SEC POY) into an iso situation to put the game away. Gaines comes in, cold off the bench, locks up Jones, blocks his shot, and gets the rebound. Did his job to perfection. Unfortunately after he grabbed the rebound, he was fouled and missed both free throws, but that wasn't what he was in the game to do.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Gaines would instantly become our defensive stopper. He's been buried on the depth chart for 2 years behind 5-star guys, and he's not yet shown an ability to be a big time scorer.

In the SEC tournament, he was put into the game for the first time with under a minute to go for a "must stop" defensive possession. Tennessee was down by 1, and Barnes knew that Alabama was going to get Herb Jones (SEC POY) into an iso situation to put the game away. Gaines comes in, cold off the bench, locks up Jones, blocks his shot, and gets the rebound. Did his job to perfection. Unfortunately after he grabbed the rebound, he was fouled and missed both free throws, but that wasn't what he was in the game to do.

The phrase “defensive stopper” is definitely one I can get behind. I can’t remember the last time we had a wing who could really lock down an A10-caliber scorer. It’s an underrated skill set for sure.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I want a guy with a mullet that can shoot. Thanks Santa.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The phrase “defensive stopper” is definitely one I can get behind. I can’t remember the last time we had a wing who could really lock down an A10-caliber scorer. It’s an underrated skill set for sure.
Maybe not so much under DP, but how often did guys have career high scoring nights against us when Hewitt was coach? Lots!