2021 Coaching Carousel

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
For the people that 100% want Paulsen fired, are you willing to risk Kolek, Miller, and/or Oduro leaving because of it?

Not saying it would happen, but we know first hand that players are sometimes tied more to the coach than the University.

Yes, if we can get players like Jalen Crutcher, Jordan Goodwin, Kellan Grady, Osun Osunniyi, Bones Hyland, or Dominick Welch to replace them.

I love those guys, but I mean, one of our top targets chose Dayton over us, then Dayton overrecruited him before he even got there. Dayton, in fact, has 3 4 star recruits coming in for 2021. That's what we're up against.

KAOriginal

All-American
For the people that 100% want Paulsen fired, are you willing to risk Kolek, Miller, and/or Oduro leaving because of it?

Not saying it would happen, but we know first hand that players are sometimes tied more to the coach than the University.

All day every day.

We're talking Paulsen here. He has recruited good kids, but no program changers. So I'm going with the chance none of these guys are.....

OP
tblack33

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

110%. Do you think that those players are good enough to get Mason to the tournament despite Paulsen? I don’t. Love to watch them, they are solid players, but none are irreplaceable. Miller MIGHT be a 3rd team all A10 guy. Maybe. Oduro MIGHT be a candidate for most improved. Not enough to overcome Dave’s coaching.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You think they chose Paulsen? Baahaaaaa....they chose the A10 bc it was best conference to offer. Sans Kolek.

emjayar08

Sixth Man
You think they chose Paulsen? Baahaaaaa....they chose the A10 bc it was best conference to offer. Sans Kolek.

Just throwing out the hypothetical. Yeah, I agree most just choose the conference that can get them the best exposure.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes, if we can get players like Jalen Crutcher, Jordan Goodwin, Kellan Grady, Osun Osunniyi, Bones Hyland, or Dominick Welch to replace them.

I love those guys, but I mean, one of our top targets chose Dayton over us, then Dayton overrecruited him before he even got there. Dayton, in fact, has 3 4 star recruits coming in for 2021. That's what we're up against.

I don’t think many Mason fans understand how wide the gap is between the top of the
A-10 and us. The Castro situation you referenced is a perfect example ... we are literally an afterthought in our own league and we’re still talking about NOT changing coaches? FFS.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Glad we helped them out.

Luke Hancock didn't have any offers either, and Marquise's only offer was originally Hofstra (which he decomitted from). I don't think the problem are the few players who literally had no offers, especially when they turned out to be some of the best players on the team (Jordan Miller is another example), it's like I keep saying the middle of the roster. If offer sheets like AJ's, Kolek's, Calixte's, and Goanar's is the baseline recruit none of us should have a problem with taking a flier on a Grayer, Kier, Otis, Oduro, or Miller type player. It also wouldn't be such a travesty when one of your recruits didn't pan out (like Goanar or Calixte).

But the way Paulsen has recruited, he needs not only for every single recruit with a halfway decent offer sheet to be a star player and day one starter (like next year, I'm expecting Gray to have to be the starting PG next year -- and that's not fair to him), he also needs pretty much every underrecruited player to also become starter level players by their sophomore or junior years. That's just not going to happen.

When the top teams in the conference's 6th or 7th man would be the best or second best player on YOUR team, you've got issues.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I remember going to Brion's prior to a Mason vs. Dayton game back in the CAA days. Bunch of Dayton fans there. Ironically, I recall a Dayton fan not giving his team much of a chance because they didn't have an answer for Will Thomas. Sigh. Good 'ol days. Pretty sure Mason won the game.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I remember going to Brion's prior to a Mason vs. Dayton game back in the CAA days. Bunch of Dayton fans there. Ironically, I recall a Dayton fan not giving his team much of a chance because they didn't have an answer for Will Thomas. Sigh. Good 'ol days. Pretty sure Mason won the game.

Was that the 2008 championship team? Mason won that game 67-56...Thomas had 18 and 17 in that game (still salty he didn't win CAA POY that year).

To be fair, Paulsen has done slightly better against Dayton than he has against some of the other top tier teams. Davidson and St. Bonaventure are two he's done just awful against. I think he's only won something like 1 game against URI, too, maybe 2.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Was that the 2008 championship team? Mason won that game 67-56...Thomas had 18 and 17 in that game (still salty he didn't win CAA POY that year).

To be fair, Paulsen has done slightly better against Dayton than he has against some of the other top tier teams. Davidson and St. Bonaventure are two he's done just awful against. I think he's only won something like 1 game against URI, too, maybe 2.

Schmidt and McKillop both coach circles around DP. Total mismatch.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Yes

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

2008 sounds right. I was at one win against Davidson. Think it was a homecoming. Yep - 1 win against the Bonnies since joining the A-10. Ugly W at home.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

yes!! It’s possible they transfer even if Paulsen stays