2014 PG Isaiah Jackson commits to Mason

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Hewitt could probably get a fifth year even if he has a losing record next year IF he has five or six freshmen that look really good. Next year's incoming freshmen appear to be the kind of players who play hard but still need time to develop offensively.

A salesman like Hewitt will know how to get that fifth year, if not an extension. "Tom, Tom, I told you when I agreed to come here that I will need my own guys. You see how hard MY guys play. The wins will follow. Trust me. My agent will be calling about an automatic roll-over clause. Just a formality. Nothing to worry about."

OP
D

districtballer

Recruit
http://zagsblog.com/articles/isaiah-jackson-to-george-mason/

isaiah-jackson-2014-3-907x1024.jpg

(Pretty sure that's not the guy in the video haha)
Isaiah Jackson, a 6-foot-6 combo guard from Gainesville (FL) The Villages Charter School, has verbally pledged to George Mason.

He is considered a versatile perimeter player who can play multiple positions. He’s averaging 15.4 points, 9.2 rebounds and 6.4 assists for the Buffalo, who are 21-1 and ranked No. 2 in Class 4A in Florida.

South Alabama and Texas Tech also showed interest.

“He plays point guard here for us, but he can really develop into a guy who can multiple positions,” head coach David Krakoff told SNY.tv. “He can probably play 1-4 when he’s done developing.

“He has a really long wingspan. He’s a great passer, has great vision, creates a lot of offense for his team. He can score, he can post, he can knock down the jump shot. He can slash into the paint. He can defend multiple positions. That’s his best attribute.”

Jackson averaged 16.0 points, 7.7 rebounds and 5.4 assists last season to lead Gainesville to the Class 6A state semifinals. He then transferred to The Villages Charter School.

He is the fourth commit in the Class of 2014 for head coach Paul Hewitt, joining wings Eric Lockett andTherence Mayimba and center Trey Porter.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
After watching most of the AAU game, here are my thoughts:

Positives - He is tall with a good thick frame, he is a very good passer, his shot looks good, he directs his teammates to the correct spots.

Neutral - Seems to have a decent handle, but not outstanding. Can drive w/ the ball pretty well. Defense looks decent on the perimeter. Decent rebounder.

Negatives - His defense on the low block wasn't very good, but I'm not sure how will be asked to defend there much at the next level. His motor wasn't as high as I was hoping.

Doesn't have the other type of offers I would hope we would be competing with, but with his injury in 2012 he missed a lot chances to be seen. I really like the path Hewitt is going down - athletic, tall, multiple position types. I'm glad to see that he has played the PG position this summer as that is a position of need. Overall, I like the addition - I would love to see more film and see if he can play quicker with a faster motor.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Once again I will say Hewitt has demonstrated good recruiting. I am much happier with his recruits than OCMs. This young man is a better fit in Hewitt's scheme than CE or BA on PG. I am very excited - welcome to Mason sir!

PMP - You are more bitter than 39 year old single woman with cats and a cluttered apartment.

KAOriginal

All-American
Hewitt could probably get a fifth year even if he has a losing record next year IF he has five or six freshmen that look really good. Next year's incoming freshmen appear to be the kind of players who play hard but still need time to develop offensively.

A salesman like Hewitt will know how to get that fifth year, if not an extension. "Tom, Tom, I told you when I agreed to come here that I will need my own guys. You see how hard MY guys play. The wins will follow. Trust me. My agent will be calling about an automatic roll-over clause. Just a formality. Nothing to worry about."

Yep....I would say this is a done deal besides the roll over clause.

Figure go cupcake OOC, go .500 in conference and Hewitt is following the ACC method of 20 wins a year. At Mason thats called job for life......

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Cant do cupcakes with the A-10 requirement for scheduling....

You beat me to the punch. Plus, whether people like Hewitt or not, he said from the beginning his goal was to challenge the team with tough OOC games to prepare them for the A10.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
.like Hewitt or not, he said from the beginning his goal was to challenge the team with tough OOC games to prepare them for the A10.
Do you see the irony in that statement?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Can't ever have too many long-armed, good passing 6-6 guards ... especially one who could conceivably contribute at PG.

Welcome Isaiah. Hopefully your class will be the one that leads us back to brighter days.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Well see what this kid can do when he comes.

Frankly we dont really need a good PG to improve alot, we just need somebody to be able to handle the ball primarily and start the offense. Whether that be a point forward like Luke, or an actual PG who cares...we just need one or the other.

Maybe this kid is it.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
People tend to forget that Folarin Campbell also played point-forward a good deal for us. He wasn't the best ballhandler in the world, but he was good enough to get the ball up the court and get us into our offense — not to mention he gave us some extra size on the court and he could post up smaller defenders.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Is there any more video on this guy? Hoping he was under the radar b/c of the leg injury. A two star guy playing the PG vs the A-10's tough as nails guards isn't giving me much to jump about. We need more NYC guys...oh wait.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
People tend to forget that Folarin Campbell also played point-forward a good deal for us. He wasn't the best ballhandler in the world, but he was good enough to get the ball up the court and get us into our offense — not to mention he gave us some extra size on the court and he could post up smaller defenders.

Jon L played point forward too. He probably pointed it out to the OCM.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My concern is trying to force a "combo guard", as I've seen him described, into a point guard's role....assuming that's what the staff wants him to be. I keep saying that Allen is playing out of position because he is forced to run the point because we don't have any good options (although, I still say let Moore play it full time). Allen is a combo guard that shouldn't have to run the point. I'd hate to see us do the same thing with this kid. But again, we don't know what role the staff envisions him having so I will wait and see.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
My concern is trying to force a "combo guard", as I've seen him described, into a point guard's role....assuming that's what the staff wants him to be.

That's a valid concern, especially with what we saw with Allen. The one thing that gives me comfort is it sounds like he's been playing PG all year for his team, so it's not like he would be taken out of his comfort zone if he assumes the same role here.

There is also the option of playing Jackson and Moore together, but it sounds like Jackson's perimeter shot would have to improve a lot for that to happen since that is one of Moore's weaknesses.

smccart5

Starter
I'm hoping next years freshman are licking their chops knowing they can come in and get significant playing time against ranked and other quality opponents.

Stars mean nothing unless theirs 5 of em, so i just hope these kids are priming themselves mentally and physically for an enormous jump in competition level.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I like the under-the-radar kids.

Not to pick on Edwards, but he was touted as 'the best PG in NYC.'

WTF has that gotten us?

Whereas Moore's best offer prior to signing with Mason was from a cellar-dwelling CAA team in Hofstra, and the kid is looking like an absolute steal at this point.

You just never know how teenagers are going to develop, how hard they're willing to work, whether they're confident and can deal with failure, etc.

All of those factors mean way more than some arbitrary "star rating" assigned by people who see many of these kids play live 1-2 times at most.

Patriotfan49

Starter
That's a valid concern, especially with what we saw with Allen. The one thing that gives me comfort is it sounds like he's been playing PG all year for his team, so it's not like he would be taken out of his comfort zone if he assumes the same role here.

There is also the option of playing Jackson and Moore together, but it sounds like Jackson's perimeter shot would have to improve a lot for that to happen since that is one of Moore's weaknesses.

The same could be said for Allen. He came in playing "PG" for his team as well did he not?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/43220/bryon-allen

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes, Allen's only year as a full-time PG was at St. Thomas More.

But it's difficult to evaluate Allen's PG development because he's playing in a different system than the one he was originally recruited into.

No telling how much better he'd be in Larranaga's system, which relied on post touches and all 5 guys moving the ball instead of high ball screens and isolation.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes, Allen's only year as a full-time PG was at St. Thomas More.

But it's difficult to evaluate Allen's PG development because he's playing in a different system than the one he was originally recruited into.

No telling how much better he'd be in Larranaga's system, which relied on post touches and all 5 guys moving the ball instead of high ball screens and isolation.

Allen does absolutely fine with Hewitt's offense once they get into it, it's getting the ball up the court under pressure and transition offense where he struggles, that's why he needs someone who can handle the press and lead a fast break.

But once you get into the half court, Allen is pretty damn effective.