2014 PG Isaiah Jackson commits to Mason

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Allen does absolutely fine with Hewitt's offense once they get into it, it's getting the ball up the court under pressure and transition offense where he struggles, that's why he needs someone who can handle the press and lead a fast break.

But once you get into the half court, Allen is pretty damn effective.

As a scorer, yes, he's quite dangerous. He's worked hard to improve his outside shot and is great going to the basket.

Running the offense/creating for others? Hard to say that since we rank among the nation's worst in both assists per game and assist-to-turnover ratio.

Allen really hasn't improved his PG skills that much the past 3 years, and I think a big part of that has resulted from playing in a system that relies on primarily driving to score, not to pass.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm pretty certain we will have at least 1 more scholarship available for this class.

Hewitt is going after a true PG with it.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Allen does absolutely fine with Hewitt's offense once they get into it, it's getting the ball up the court under pressure and transition offense where he struggles, that's why he needs someone who can handle the press and lead a fast break.

But once you get into the half court, Allen is pretty damn effective.

Wasnt saying anything about Allen after the offense is set up, I was meaning in regards to ball handling and getting the ball up and into the offense (you know, primarily pg duties). Im hoping maybe Jackson is more comfortable in those roles unlike Allen. Allen's inability, and frankly the inability of anybody on our team to do that has cost us multiple games down the stretch.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Can we get Jackson's HS coach too? I'm willing to give it a shot at this point.

Herndon

All-Conference
I've got to be honest, I'm not getting all the Moore enthusiasm. I mean, I know he's a freshman and all, and he LOOKS the part, but he hasn't really produced anything to write home about. He's playing a lot of minutes, and he's giving you 3 points, 2 rebounds, and a 1/1 A/TO ratio. The only thing that jumps out is that he's shooting a pretty good percentage from the floor, and even that's not out of this world.

Like, maybe he'll develop into a really good player, but I haven't really seen anything to indicate it. (sorry if this makes me a jerk)

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree. One could argue having a pg with no jump shot makes it alot harder for the post players to get going. Not that we have any post players.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree with Herndon and GS about Moore. Until he develops any kind of shot outside of two feet, he makes us very limited on offense. I knew his perimeter game was almost non-existent coming in, but I thought he would make up for it by moving the ball and getting our big men more involved like a good PG should. Instead, we just get a lot of dribbling at the top of the key like we did with Corey running things.

The domino effect this creates is that — correctly or not — Hewitt has chosen to play Allen at the point at the end of our last three games to give us more offense. Sadly, Allen has proven time and time again this season he doesn't thrive in that situation. In fact, it's tough to win any games when the two seniors who again provided most of your scoring also accounted for six of our 13 turnovers.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I agree with Herndon and GS about Moore. Until he develops any kind of shot outside of two feet, he makes us very limited on offense. I knew his perimeter game was almost non-existent coming in, but I thought he would make up for it by moving the ball and getting our big men more involved like a good PG should. Instead, we just get a lot of dribbling at the top of the key like we did with Corey running things.

The domino effect this creates is that — correctly or not — Hewitt has chosen to play Allen at the point at the end of our last three games to give us more offense. Sadly, Allen has proven time and time again this season he doesn't thrive in that situation. In fact, it's tough to win any games when the two seniors who again provided most of your scoring also accounted for six of our 13 turnovers.

Moore reminds me a lot of Allen his freshman year. I think you will remember the same issue with the dribbling too much and the lack of an outside shot. The difference is Moore has great handle and attacks the press.

So if we can get the same trajectory of development from Moore as we saw from Allen, we will have a pretty damn good PG in a few years.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't disagree with you at all, gemini. I'm in the same mindset as Five Two in that Moore needs to be in there at the end of games in order to learn — even if if we do sacrifice some scoring. If he is in our future plans, the only way he is going to get better is to be in those situations.

The reality is we are not better with Allen running the point than we would be if Moore or even Corey were out there. In fact, it seems like our last three losses have all ended with Bryon committing some kind of turnover in the last minute. And in fairness to him, he shouldn't be put in that position.

The real issue here is that Hewitt has gone with some mind-boggling rotations that make the PG position more important than it needs to be in terms of providing points. We could afford to have a non-scorer at the point if we didn't have guys like Copes and Okoloji on the floor in crunch time. It baffles me that Hewitt's big brain can't figure out that we should be going small in those occasions with a lineup like Moore, Allen, Sherrod, Holloway and Jenkins.

In fact, I'd like to see that five on the floor more often when we are playing smaller teams like Fordham. You could even put Marko in the mix there, but the point remains that we need to stop going big when our big men are the biggest weakness on this team.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It baffles me that Hewitt's big brain can't figure out that we should be going small in those occasions with a lineup like Moore, Allen, Sherrod, Holloway and Jenkins..
I have learned that when supposedly smart people keep making stupid decisions then I re-evaluate my premise.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Completely agree, Tom. Hewitt can't make plays for his players, but he does control who's on the floor, and the pattern he's chosen late in games doesn't work. Time to try a new rotation. Anything else is insanity.