2014-2015 schedule thread

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Geez, I've gotta shell out $50 to to see this low expectations GMU team play Cornell and Princeton? The hard core out of town GMU fan is really getting shafted. I don't even get a bobblehead out of it!

I will admit that GMU's pricing did convince my brother in Fairfax to purchase a Top of the Nation season ticket plan. With the crowds GMU will draw, it ain't like he'll have to remain at the top of the nation during games.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Perhaps someone from our Econ department could explain supply and demand to our ticket office? There's no way $25/ticket is maximizing Mason's profit. Especially when more people means more concessions sales.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe the program should get back to winning 90% of our home games before anyone starts assuming that demand is inelastic....

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Its kinda smart and a sign at the same time. They didnt raise prices when the regime change occurred. Maybe now they see an uptick in quality on the floor and thus more ticket sales in jan as casual fans start to realize the team is better. Then more games become meaningful and fun to watch bc the a10 factor also comes into play. It will be a major jolt of legit excitement. Ahh..one can dream.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Walter,

Why not buy group tickets (minimum of 15) at $13 each and use them all or sell the excess tickets?

Ticket prices are also $13 each for youth (12 & under) & seniors (62 and over).
I did not know that. Thanks for the tip.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
IMO, the best approach to maximizing ticket revenue is to charge various prices based on seat location or amenities offered. This strategy has been successful for many schools and professional teams. This allows you to charge premium ticket prices for seats closer to the floor or those with special access/benefits, while charging lower prices for less desirable seats.

I believe that the school is fairly pricing group tickets, as well as youth & senior tickets. So, why not use more strategic pricing for adult tickets?

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
What was the deal with the fee leaving the CAA and joining the A-10? Is it possible that is the logic in raising ticket prices?

Plink833

Preferred Walk-On
Just curious has anyone ever asked anyone in the ticket office why they do what they do with ticket prices? I've never had a problem reaching out to Greg Kennedy or Andrew Bashack and gotten good answers from them. Just a thought.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What was the deal with the fee leaving the CAA and joining the A-10? Is it possible that is the logic in raising ticket prices?

Its not tied directly. With us bringing in close to 400k in new revenue from the tv deal each year, and cabrerra saying 5 years to show profit on this move, seems like that money is being used for that. 400k X 5yrs = 1million caa fee. Or a combo of that and whatever the a10 helped out in with a10 fee if there was one.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Its kinda smart and a sign at the same time. They didnt raise prices when the regime change occurred. Maybe now they see an uptick in quality on the floor and thus more ticket sales in jan as casual fans start to realize the team is better.

This is actually a good point, GS. Even though our program is struggling right now, we might be a bigger draw due to being in a significantly better conference with much better opponents and players. That in itself is worth a little more cash for causal fans. Now we just need to get the program back to the point where the fans who do pay $25/ticket decide to return and maybe even buy a bigger plan.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Count me as thinking it's a lousy move to raise prices. My logic has always been that a family of four can come to a game for about the same as going to the movies. Now, a family needing to spend at least $75 to attend a game seems extreme. Yes there will be Groupons, Living Social Deals, season ticket holders will probably get coupons they can share, etc., but for a product in need of casual fans, this move doesn't make much sense.

At least parking is still free and concessions are somewhat reasonable. I noticed the new Austin Barbecue stand last night as well while singing along with Olaf and Sven.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
IMO, the best approach to maximizing ticket revenue is to charge various prices based on seat location or amenities offered. This strategy has been successful for many schools and professional teams. This allows you to charge premium ticket prices for seats closer to the floor or those with special access/benefits, while charging lower prices for less desirable seats.

I believe that the school is fairly pricing group tickets, as well as youth & senior tickets. So, why not use more strategic pricing for adult tickets?
Very good point. Did they lower youth and senior ticket prices, or am I misremembering? I didn't think they were as low as $13 in the past. So that is nice.

But it just feels like there is a psychological barrier at $20 for most people.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
U of Michigan announced this afternoon that they are reducing student season ticket prices in 2015 by 35%.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I wonder if Michigan raised student fees to off set this lost revenue. Sneaky.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
It would be impossible for Mason to do that given that our students always have gotten in for free! Hard to beat that.

psyclone,

Wouldn't be more precise to say that Mason students are charged for games (whether or not they attend) via the student activity fees?

Last edited: