2013-2014 OOC Opponents Tracker

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
An amateur psychologist could look at our players' body language -- both on the floor and one the bench -- and imagine that there's not a lot of chemistry there.

But it could be as simple as we have a veteran team that had reasonably high expectations, but has mostly played badly to start the season.

Perhaps the guys -- coaches included -- are all just some combination of frustrated/disappointed/disillusioned.

I highly doubt we'd be discussing locker room issues if we had beaten Princeton and USF and had a 7-2 record right now.

7-2 would be great, but if they had simply held onto a 17 point lead at home the other night I think there is a lot less negativity on this board. I definitely would've taken 6-3 at this point. Those are the type of losses under Hewitt, the "stealing defeat from the jaws of victory" type losses which have for the time being, zapped any type of confidence the fanbase has in this team or in Hewitt. I was so pissed after that game that I left the bar I was in having forgotten to pay. I did return and pay up, but I'd like to send that bill to Hewitt. He should have had to pay me for watching that.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Sorry Tom, I just don't buy anything you say about Hewitt.

Chank, I'm honestly not trying to change your mind or anybody else's on Hewitt. I just prefer more to talk about the team instead of every thread becoming about the coach. I'm still confused as to how you could turn UNI beating vcu into a dig against our coach when we beat UNI, but I know you were just venting. Everybody here is frustrated.

Like you, I fully admit to being excited when Hewitt was hired, because he was a big name and I thought he'd learn from his mistakes at Tech. If nothing else, I figured his ability to recruit and stepping down a level from a BCS school would help overcome his shortcomings on the sideline.

Unlike some people here, though, I still think he can bring in some good players, and I think he deserves to finish out his contract unless the bottom completely falls out (which, contrary to belief, it hasn't come close to). And if he does get fired, I'll support the next coach because that's what I've always done as a Mason fan (yes, even under the Nestor and Westhead regimes.)

As for Coach L, I was constantly accused of being an apologist for defending him when many of the same people here constantly complained he wasn't winning enough after our Final 4 run, but the revisionist history about his success here does get a little tiresome. And just to be clear, he turned his back on our program, not vice versa. He could have and should have retired in Fairfax and chose not to.

Last edited:

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm not going to turn this into a 5 page back and forth with you. But you are not the be all and end all of Mason Hoops as your signature line likes to claim.

I'll just end this by saying, you deal with our shitty program as the best way you can by making yourself feel better about our situation by saying their is hope, there is hope and the OCM was not ad great as everyone thinks he was and I will deal with it my way by pointing out the crappy trajectory our program has been going and there is no hope with Hewitt.

Both are opinions but you act as if you re Moses bringing down the gospel from the mountain. You are honestly telling me that I can't point out how UNI changed their game plan form earlier to improve and we have not??? What the f**k?

I donate just like you to the program. I go to games just like you do. And I watch at elast 20 college basketball games a week. I am far from being an expert, but I have never seen such a disorganized, lost team (even when we win).

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'll just end this by saying, you deal with our shitty program as the best way you can by making yourself feel better about our situation by saying their is hope...

Looking for a light at the end of the tunnel is much better than being miserable. I'm a huge fan, but I guess I don't understand getting worked up about games we didn't even play in. Hell, we haven't played since last Sunday, and some fans are acting like we lost three games. I guess this is what happens during lulls.

I realize you have buyer's remorse, but it's not like we can undo the hire. There are no mulligans. So I just accept what is done and deal in the moment. Instead of dwelling on our coach, I focus on the players getting better and holding up their end of the bargain. I still think this can be a fun team that wins some games, but I also knew coming in that we weren't as talented as many people here thought (call it Moses intuition).

Some people here act like it's so easy just to can the coach in the middle of his contract, but doing so would set us back several years when you factor in a completely new staff, lost recruits, players transferring and the millions of dollars we'd owe him. Keeping Hewitt might also set us back, but people have to realize there is no quick fix to the situation.

PS: I want you to know I don't take any of your jabs personally. Having gone to Madison, I'd expect nothing less from a Statesman. (kidding)

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Fair enough. Didn't mean to come off at taking jabs at you.

Its just that in the 20+ years I have been watching college basketball, honestly have never seen a division I team look so lost. In the past, even when we lost, I could honestly say that I was still entertained by the level of TEAM play, just haven't been able to do that with this regime.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Its just that in the 20+ years I have been watching college basketball, honestly have never seen a division I team look so lost.

We're in agreement here. I keep telling myself we'll see a different lineup and strategies after the break, but I admit that would go against Hewitt's nature. Sooner or later, you would think self preservation would take over and he would learn to get out of his own way.

In full disclosure, I admit I am also in partial denial about my Redskins. I refuse to admit they are out of playoff contention until I see a bracket in writing. haha

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
[quote="gmutom, post: 4650, member: 22"
In full disclosure, I admit I am also in partial denial about my Redskins. I refuse to admit they are out of playoff contention until I see a bracket in writing. haha[/quote]

If we beat dallas do we get a home playoff game?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
A lot of things have to go in our favor, but I'm liking our chances. #HTTR

Even if we lose I think we are still in with how terrible the East is. I mean, I'm starting to feel sorry for Dallas fans and that bum Romo.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Even if we lose I think we are still in with how terrible the East is. I mean, I'm starting to feel sorry for Dallas fans and that bum Romo.

As bad as we are this year, I can't begin to imagine how much it would suck to be a Cowboys fans. I've never seen a team or QB so capable of grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory. I had no vested interest in that game yesterday other than hating Dallas, and I was yelling at my screen, "You have the lead! Why are you passing on every down?!"

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
As bad as we are this year, I can't begin to imagine how much it would suck to be a Cowboys fans. I've never seen a team or QB so capable of grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory. I had no vested interest in that game yesterday other than hating Dallas, and I was yelling at my screen, "You have the lead! Why are you passing on every down?!"

You think you've got it bad -- try being a fan of both Mason hoops and Dallas Cowboys football.

No lead is ever safe in my world. I watched the second half of yesterday's game knowing exactly how it was going to unfold, and sure enough it did.

7-2 would be great, but if they had simply held onto a 17 point lead at home the other night I think there is a lot less negativity on this board.

Yeah. To me I might even be okay with 5-4, we've played some decent teams, it's just the WAY we lose these games that is almost incomprehensible.

Same went for last year. Team has just gone missing for entirely unacceptable long stretches (entire halves).

We lose to Okie in a hard-fought game, Iona is at least close, we play Princeton tough in both halves, even lose to South Florida (w/out the run) or Northern Iowa I'm not that distressed with 5-4.

This is a distressing 5-4.

You think you've got it bad -- try being a fan of both Mason hoops and Dallas Cowboys football.

No lead is ever safe in my world. I watched the second half of yesterday's game knowing exactly how it was going to unfold, and sure enough it did.

I'm a Packers fan, and though I was happy, I was just more utterly mystified by Jason Garrett and Dallas.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
While it was a bad loss for DAL, I don't think it really means much as far as them winning the division and getting a playoff spot. It still going to come down to that game between them and PHI in Week#17. The NFL wants that game to mean something, so it will be winner take all or winner gets pounded in divisional playoffs or whatever. You all really know how this stuff works.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
While it was a bad loss for DAL, I don't think it really means much as far as them winning the division and getting a playoff spot. It still going to come down to that game between them and PHI in Week#17. The NFL wants that game to mean something, so it will be winner take all or winner gets pounded in divisional playoffs or whatever. You all really know how this stuff works.

If the Eagles defeat Chicago at home & Dallas loses at Washington next Sunday, then Philly clinches the division. Otherwise, it will be decided as you say.

Harry

Starter
If the Eagles defeat Chicago at home & Dallas loses at Washington next Sunday, then Philly clinches the division. Otherwise, it will be decided as you say.
Watch out Skins and Bears...the league will conspire to ensure that you lose, thus setting up the highly anticipated game 16 battle for the NFC East championship!

So disappointed...I thought the Red Lobster was the answer. Danny gave him everything he wanted. Now the Skins will be starting all over...again.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Watch out Skins and Bears...the league will conspire to ensure that you lose, thus setting up the highly anticipated game 16 battle for the NFC East championship!

So disappointed...I thought the Red Lobster was the answer. Danny gave him everything he wanted. Now the Skins will be starting all over...again.

lol. The league might have to step in to conspire against CHI, but Skin can handle their part all by their sorry selves.