15 Minutes Thread

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This is getting a lot of publicity on conservative sites due to the student accusing Israel of genocide while VP nods and then comments on student "speaking her truth."

NOTE to MasonHoops Admins: Just reporting the news. Not commenting on the statement or the VP's response.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is getting a lot of publicity on conservative sites due to the student accusing Israel of genocide while VP nods and then comments on student "speaking her truth."

NOTE to MasonHoops Admins: Just reporting the news. Not commenting on the statement or the VP's response.

Appreciate the heads up.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I guess this is the best place to post this...

George Mason University was featured in an article on PBS Newshour this evening. It's about Mason's innovative approach to their partnership with NOVA CC student transfers. The article begins just after the 36 minute mark. Enjoy!

View: https://youtu.be/fi-ZGQYFzH0

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

George Mason University was featured in an article on PBS Newshour this evening. It's about Mason's innovative approach to their partnership with NOVA CC student transfers. The article begins just after the 36 minute mark. Enjoy!

That was a good piece and showed how a little effort and coordination can make things easier for students. Nice showcase for Mason.

On a side note - Judie Woodruff looks real old.

KAOriginal

All-American

LOL. Dear god...it's the 21st century. This was already a thing at GMU/NOVA when I was there in early 90s. I knew quite a few people who had done the 2 and 2 route.

A student from a state funded community college should be able to transition to a state funded university in about 30 seconds. There so should no issue on english, chemistry or any general ed class transferring credits. (Unless you took all art classes and now want to be a engineer...)

But like good government, we're going to spend time,effort and money to create special programs with a $1 million dollar budget to solve a $1 problem.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The issue is course compatibility. I went through Mason's business school. They required, for example, Business Statistics. If you took regular statistics prior then you were hosed—you couldn't transfer the credit to your business school requirements. It's stuff like that that need to be coordinated to make transferring efficient (which was the onus of the PBS article).

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The issue is course compatibility. I went through Mason's business school. They required, for example, Business Statistics. If you took regular statistics prior then you were hosed—you couldn't transfer the credit to your business school requirements. It's stuff like that that need to be coordinated to make transferring efficient (which was the onus of the PBS article).
Unfortunately that stuff has been going on for years. Its also a ploy to make sure community college students don't get an "easier" option with some specific requirements.

I'm also hypothesizing, and it may not be true. Like they may take 2 classes of accounting for the 200 level Accounting but not let you get a pass on the 300 level accounting which is the harder of the 2. I'm 20 years plus removed from that world so I have no idea.

I do have to say I was able to transfer an Econ104 equivalent from my local community college in NJ to Mason somehow. Took that over a summer. Fine by me, and probably 150x easier.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Had the same problem. Went to a VCCS school for two years and the coursework didn't align to Mason's GenEd requirements.

So ended up doing another four at Mason and graduating with over 150 credits with the potential to minor in basket weaving and sh*t.

It wasn't so bad though ... I had priority on every class I registered for.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

Same. Sorta.

I took a year off and when I came back the grad requirements had changed from two 3-credit classes to a combined 5-credit combined class. (or something like that, it's been a while and my memory has started to fade now that I'm on social security)

Mason told me that technically I was able to grandfather in the original curriculum requirements and didn't have to switch, but that they no longer offered the other stats class. So I wouldn't actually be able to graduate and that was kind of a bid deal to me. So instead of taking basket weaving 101 or some other BS class to pad my GPA, my Stats class now became one of my electives and still had to take the combined class.

Best of all, the Professor had this just heavy, heavy accent. I can still remember sitting in class and wondering "WTF is a Cig-Uh-Mu Vol-Yoo?"

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
There are certainly pros and cons of transferring from an inexpensive Associate's Degree curriculum to a four-year university. Should the process be easier? Yes and no. I think the process should be easy, but the requirements should be stringent.

I am mostly thrilled about the fact that Mason was prominenly featured on a national news program, perhaps international (I know people in Germany who watch PBS Newshour on a regular basis).

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Enjoyable article marred by the information that Jon Larranaga's wife worked for Dick Cheney. I did meet Jon L. in a bar once - he couldn't have been friendlier. Did not get the same impression from his companion Jesse Young - perhaps I caught him on an off night.

KAOriginal

All-American

Valid point. And yes in certain programs, certain classes need to be compatible. However, I am not sure if we need millions of dollars and more employees to make this happen. I imagine a few head honchos in an meeting can generate a PDF...(or app????) that says...if you are a NVCC student and want to direct transfer to Mason for ________ major then know this___________. And spell it out.

However, NOW, that Mason is embracing diversity......if your regular statistics class wants to identify as a business statistics class....then who is to judge?

Last edited: