15 Minutes Thread

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Someone should keep us posted about times and tickets. I'd give serious thought to going down to see it. Perhaps a chance to see and hear the Green Machine as well.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I guess this can go here... but the CAA got two players drafted tonight in the NBA draft in the 2nd round... one from College of Charleston and one from Hofstra

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
An intern at our company introduced himself this morning. He'll be a senior at UVA, but saw my Mason stuff at my desk and wanted chat me up. He grew up just off 123 said the 2006 Final Four was one of his childhood highlights. He went to all the camps and his family had season tickets until "the school decided not to invest in the program. We'll miss Coach L's whistle!"
Memo to interns- this is how you stand out in a sea of sameness. Good job by him and frustrating to hear another story of a casual fan leaving the program.

patriotchild

Starter
Ran into someone wearing mason lanyard at work. Asked when he graduated he said ‘15 asked if he liked it said yeah but I wish they had football. I then asked if he went to basketball and he said they haven’t been good since before I was a freshman and kind of laughed like why would I do that (we need to win).

So this leads me to a question ...

would people really rather go to 6 shitty football games over shitty, mediocre or sometimes even good basketball?

For the life of me I cant understand why everyone mentions football, especially when the reality is it will be shitty to mediocre FCS football.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ran into someone wearing mason lanyard at work. Asked when he graduated he said ‘15 asked if he liked it said yeah but I wish they had football. I then asked if he went to basketball and he said they haven’t been good since before I was a freshman and kind of laughed like why would I do that (we need to win).

So this leads me to a question ...

would people really rather go to 6 shitty football games over shitty, mediocre or sometimes even good basketball?

For the life of me I cant understand why everyone mentions football, especially when the reality is it will be shitty to mediocre FCS football.

For the tailgating and the pre/post-game parties basically.

I’m sure this kid will jump on the basketball
Bandwagon the second they make it to the dance (side note: he missed an opportunity to watch Marquise and Jalen in person, and this makes me sad).

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
NBC Sports Washington is airing a "Big Twenty" tonight covering the 20 biggest DC sports stories of the past 20 years. Our Final Four run is on the list as Julie Donaldson made mention of it in a promo during a Junkies commercial this morning.

Last edited:

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Dan Patrick gave our '06 run a shout out this morning on his show when talking about teams that come out of nowhere in the tournament

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
rewatching for the first time in ages (I generally don't like to think or talk about 06 because it gets me upset how the program is now)

Wow, Mason could not make a shot for the first part of the game. But they still spaced the floor and moved the ball incredibly well on offense.

Last edited:

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
rewatching for the first time in ages (I generally don't like to think or talk about 06 because it gets me upset how the program is now)

Wow, Mason could not make a shot for the first part of the game. But they still spaced the floor and moved the ball incredibly on offense.
So you're saying that there were no handoffs at the top of the arc? Hmm. Pretty creative on L's part. You'd think others might learn from that. ;)

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So you're saying that there were no handoffs at the top of the arc? Hmm. Pretty creative on L's part. You'd think others might learn from that. ;)

Hahaha, I did see them actually do one handoff and I snickered quietly to myself, but in general they spaced a lot more with their two bigs.

It also was a perfect blend because you had 2 capable bigs with Jai and Will and 2-3 shooters, so anytime they doubled they were good to go. But the bigs really carried the team in the first half. Will had 6 boards.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I just watched the entire game for the first time ever. Apologies to gmutom as I was texting throughout.
Verne and Raftery were loving it and after the shot missed and we heard, "By George, the dream is alive!", neither said anything for minute or so. They just let the crowd tell the story. They are two of the very best, IMO.
I still can't believe it happened.