2024 Transfer Portal - Potential Incoming and General Discussion

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Id be happy with either one. Venning already knows the league, Curran knows him etc. Have no doubt that he can develop further at Mason.

Emejuru seems like a bruising big guy who would be an excellent compliment to Jalen Haynes. I liked his highlights.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
We had a couple players do similar things under Westhead when there wasn't even a portal.
Oh Paul, what a cluster f&ck you were. LOL. I thought it was just drug, knife, and mob related crime. Oh well, out of touch I guess.

Giovanni Emejuru is a name to keep a close eye on. 6’11 C. 2 years remaining.

11.3ppg & 6.3rpg in about 26mpg at Siena.

Started career at Sam Houston State with Coach Ekanem.
This is a guy I'd love. Big, defensively solid and efficient in the paint on the other side of the ball.

KAOriginal

All-American
This kind of power and freedom would be taken away the second these players actually were made employees and are under a formal contract.

Also, right now, any kind of restrictions the NCAA tries to put on player movement and transfers would most likely be challenged and struck down by the courts.

I keep coming back to "where are we...student athletes or employees" or both?

If they are getting paid....then they are employees...prob don't need scholarships?

If they are students.....does student athlete John Smith face any consequence of say going to Mason year 1 and fail all his classes, but get to transfer for year 2 to Providence and get a clean slate? Wouldn't happen for a regular student, and so does the NCAA care?

Does the NCAA need to look at grades and grad rates anymore if they are just employees/free agents?

Just so may problems other than NIL and transfer rules ...

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Maryland freshman SG Jahn Lamothe is entering the portal.

Tony was his lead recruiter for the Terps, so we know there’s an existing relationship.

Lamothe didn’t play much as a freshman, but was very highly regarded coming out of HS.

Will be interesting to see if Mason gets into the mix…

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'd be pretty excited to get Emejuru or Vanning to pair with Haynes down low, would lock in four of our 5 projected starters, with Newton/Billups still as options but ideally we still add a starting guard who can shoot:

Emejuru/Venning
Haynes
Maddox
Okojie

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd be pretty excited to get Emejuru or Vanning to pair with Haynes down low, would lock in four of our 5 projected starters, with Newton/Billups still as options but ideally we still add a starting guard who can shoot:

Emejuru/Venning
Haynes
Maddox
Okojie
We definitely need to add a big, but way too early to say that would lock in another starting spot — lots of different ways the portal could break for us, the staff is in with a lot of high-level talent.

GMU1983

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Like we have said we need shooters and combo or 2 guards who can play with a guy like Okojie

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Im sure alot of names will pop up for us. It seems we have contacted everyone thats in in the portal.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We definitely need to add a big, but way too early to say that would lock in another starting spot — lots of different ways the portal could break for us, the staff is in with a lot of high-level talent.
You think either of them would come here to be a back up, given their resumes so far? I don't, that is why I think if we got either of them, it would be with the intention of them starting. If we get one and then sign another big whose better - great!

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You think either of them would come here to be a back up, given their resumes so far? I don't, that is why I think if we got either of them, it would be with the intention of them starting. If we get one and then sign another big whose better - great!
Although I don't believe the chances of this happening are great, I would not be totally shocked if they were able to land both Venning & Emejuru. We need 2 bigs.