2024 Transfer Portal - Potential Incoming and General Discussion

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Tyler Perkins is another I like and may actually be obtainable. Put up good numbers at Penn (and a local kid).

Tre Dinkins for Canisius has Mason on the list of schools that have reached out to him.

Perfect replacement for Tre Wood and Devin Dinkins. :LOL:

Yer just making stuff up! You mix 'n' match names of players from Mason's past. I'm on to yous two.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Would like some high IQ guys that can shoot and/or facilitate. That understand and can direct teammates to the right space.

illayin

Sixth Man
Rodney Rice from VT in the portal. From Clinton, MD and Dematha... Maryland and Seton Hall both recruited him. Might be a longshot and he may even just be following his former HS coach Mike Jones to ODU. But worth noting.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Rodney Rice from VT in the portal. From Clinton, MD and Dematha... Maryland and Seton Hall both recruited him. Might be a longshot and he may even just be following his former HS coach Mike Jones to ODU. But worth noting.
To note - he left before this season. Maybe he follows Mike Jones, but that certainly wasn't part of the plan back in October.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

Yeah, he apparently left VT before the season even started.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yea, he's a classless piece of crap. Left VT high and dry 2 weeks before season starting because Mike Jones left and he didn't want to stay and honor his commitment without his daddy Jones.

He's going to be the next Joe Bamisille.... gonna transfer out every year until someone bows down to him.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So, opening the portal seems to cause problems for tournaments like the NIT with players entering portal and then that impacting teams decision to play in those tournaments.

I like that the portal opens up while the better teams in the league are still "distracted" with playing more games. this is kind of the NCAA version of pro sports giving the worst teams the earlier draft picks.

An idea for discussion. Should the NCAA prevent a player from entering the portal until their team is officially done with playing all games. Would that help? What would be the unintended consequences?

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So, opening the portal seems to cause problems for tournaments like the NIT with players entering portal and then that impacting teams decision to play in those tournaments.

I like that the portal opens up while the better teams in the league are still "distracted" with playing more games. this is kind of the NCAA version of pro sports giving the worst teams the earlier draft picks.

An idea for discussion. Should the NCAA prevent a player from entering the portal until their team is officially done with playing all games. Would that help? What would be the unintended consequences?
personally, i would favor the portal not opening until after the National Championship game

or contractually backload that last NIL payment until 4/3

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I think the portal should wait until a team is done playing as well. I think the portal takes away from what is the best 2 weeks in sports, the first 2 rounds of the NCAA tournament.

If kids are going to be distracted on March 1st because of folks getting in their ears, let them at least not be allowed to formally enter the portal until the season is over.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The portal should really be open all the time. That way players can transfer at the half if they aren't happy with playing time or the score. Pre game transfers would be awesome! Fans throwing cash, jewelry, and hookers at players while they warm up. It would be awesome!!!!! ;)

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The portal should really be open all the time. That way players can transfer at the half if they aren't happy with playing time or the score. Pre game transfers would be awesome! Fans throwing cash, jewelry, and hookers at players while they warm up. It would be awesome!!!!! ;)
We had a couple players do similar things under Westhead when there wasn't even a portal.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

In a perfect world, the portal would not open until the morning after the natty to preserve all focus on the games.

But as we know, many players are hearing from people and formulating their future plans during the current season.

For a coaching staff that is in touch with its players and already pretty well knows how many spots they need to fill, seems like an undue burden to make everyone wait 3 weeks if their season is over.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Albany G Amare Marshall is in the portal. 6-4 soph averaged 16.7 points, 5 rebs, 2.1 assts and 1.8 steals.

Started at Hofstra.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This kind of power and freedom would be taken away the second these players actually were made employees and are under a formal contract.

Also, right now, any kind of restrictions the NCAA tries to put on player movement and transfers would most likely be challenged and struck down by the courts.

If the players want to kill the NIT and non-football playoff bowl game so be it