Working on College Town feel

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I believe there's an alum on the city council or something like that.

This will be a challenge considering the layout and makeup of Fairfax, but college towns have perks like walkable neighborhoods, live music venues and late night greasy spoons not to mention a lot of college apparel stores

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Thata boy Billy! Billy Reilly fighting the good fight. This man needs to be elected to the GMU Alumni Association in some sort of capacity. He always has great ideas and gives a ton of his time and energy to Mason!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What makes a good college town? The most exciting time, usually, is in the fall. When about 70k people pour into town wearing green and gold spending money getting fed and drunk before we beat up on Florida State.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Just being close enough to walk to restaurants and clubs would be good enough. Downtown Fairfax is, at best, a one mile trek and not much there.

KAOriginal

All-American
What makes a good college town? The most exciting time, usually, is in the fall. When about 70k people pour into town wearing gold and gold spending money getting fed and drunk before we beat up on Florida State.

They only have a club level soccer team, so that's not going to happen.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I like the idea to create bike trails between campus and downtown Fairfax. I don't know how many students would actually bike, but it seems like a small improvement that could have a big impact on bringing downtown Fairfax "closer" to campus.

KAOriginal

All-American
I like the idea to create bike trails between campus and downtown Fairfax. I don't know how many students would actually bike, but it seems like a small improvement that could have a big impact on bringing downtown Fairfax "closer" to campus.

What they need, which I even wanted back in my day in the early 90s (and was told NO by the University)....is golf cart parking and paths......

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What they need, which I even wanted back in my day in the early 90s (and was told NO by the University)....is golf cart parking and paths......
Some folks actually tried to start a golf cart taxi service last year.

Harry

Starter
How about a shuttle bus service that runs every 15-20 minutes between campus and the town. And that runs late, especially on weekends.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Getting to and from Fairfax city from the campus is only half the problem.

Gotta put in some bars/restaurants/other establishments to serve the students who would travel there.

Prolly never happen, but I'd love it if a developer would build something like Myrtle Beach has with Broadway at the Beach.

I've been there on golf trips 3 times in October when school is in session and the bars are full of Coastal Carolina coeds.

Haxormax

Starter
There's a shuttle too and from campus already, right?

the cue bus is free to students and goes to the metro. Shit's easy peasy