What would you name the Patriot Center?

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
President Cabrera did a chat on the GMU Reddit last week, in which he revealed that the school is seeking to sell the naming rights to the Patriot Center. This seems like a no-brainer -- it's basically free money for the school.
CabreraAngel University President[S] 7 points 4 days ago
We have recruited a terrific Athletic Director who will be a great asset in increasing our fundraising success. We are already working on important projects, including seeking a naming gift for the Patriot Center
http://www.reddit.com/r/gmu/comments/2g0rpc/i_am_ángel_cabrera_president_of_george_mason/ckekkz6

But it's also important to choose a sponsor that's as respectable as we want Mason to be (not the JaniKing CAA Tournament), and that won't come back to haunt us (the Houston Astros once played at Enron Field).

Who would you want to buy the naming rights? (I know we've talked about this before)

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd love to see Northrop or Lockheed Martin buy the rights.

my guess is a major government contractor/bank/car dealer.

The Lexus Patriot Center has a nice ring to it.

Then again, whodathunkit that Jiffy Lube would buy naming rights to Nissan Pavilion?

With Verizon killing it in this area...I could very easily see Sprint or AT&T try to slap their name on our arena for a relatively small costs.

OP
MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Clearly we should name it after the most recognized, nationally known figure we've ever had, the man who put George Mason athletics on the map, and continues to be talked about every college basketball season....

A media sensation bigger than Mason basketball....

Doc Nix!

(What, you thought I meant that Cuban coach we used to have?)

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
But it's also important to choose a sponsor that's as respectable as we want Mason to be (not the JaniKing CAA Tournament), and that won't come back to haunt us (the Houston Astros once played at Enron Field).

So if JaniKing was the only company that was willing to pay the price the Mason Athletic Dept was asking for, you would prefer they not take it? I ask because we know they've been trying to sell naming rights for 13 years and have had no takers.