Welcome Xavier Johnson

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
Man I saw YouTube videos of Xavier Johnson from Bishop O’Connell and was very very impressed we got that kid. Wrong Xavier Johnson, the one that committed to Mason is from Episcopal and I can’t find much video on him. Seems like another under the radar get. Welcome to Mason Xavier!

Herndon

All-Conference
Man I saw YouTube videos of Xavier Johnson from Bishop O’Connell and was very very impressed we got that kid. Wrong Xavier Johnson, the one that committed to Mason is from Episcopal and I can’t find much video on him. Seems like another under the radar get. Welcome to Mason Xavier!
He has a highlight video on hudl

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It'll be interesting to actually have a battle at the PG spot next season. It's been a long time since we've had two actual point guards at the same time.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It'll be interesting to actually have a battle at the PG spot next season. It's been a long time since we've had two actual point guards at the same time.

Especially because there’s a scenario where neither of them starts and Kier plays the point as a senior.

It will depend on how each player develops, obviously, but with 3 seniors and 3 juniors on the 2019-20 team, we could see Dave get creative and roll out a 3-guard lineup that doesn’t have a prototypical PG.

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
Especially because there’s a scenario where neither of them starts and Kier plays the point as a senior.

It will depend on how each player develops, obviously, but with 3 seniors and 3 juniors on the 2019-20 team, we could see Dave get creative and roll out a 3-guard lineup that doesn’t have a prototypical PG.
Doubtful that will happen, I’m guessing it will be Hartwell’s job when Kier is a senior.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Doubtful that will happen, I’m guessing it will be Hartwell’s job when Kier is a senior.

We know Kier can handle initiating the offense, since he did a lot of that last season. So the question might depend more on Hartwell vs. Greene/JDS than it does Hartwell vs. Kier.

By George.

Starter

We know Kier can handle initiating the offense, since he did a lot of that last season. So the question might depend more on Hartwell vs. Greene/JDS than it does Hartwell vs. Kier.

Agreed, we could see a Kier + Greene backcourt once Otis leaves. It seems like Paulsen has been prepping Kier with that responsibility since day 1.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Agreed. If JDS shoots the ball in college the way he did in HS, it’s going to be tough to keep him on the bench unless he’s absolutely a turnstile on D.

I could see a backcourt with Kier and two of Greene/Boyd/JDS being very attractive to a staff that values taking care of the ball and high basketball IQ — especially because we’re gonna have a very experienced team (3 seniors, 4 juniors) even without Otis and Jaire.

Regardless it’s a good problem if you have too many options to replace one of the best players in the history of your program. It will all work itself out on the court.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agree, Jim...and of course, welcome to Xavier Johnson, who is choosing Mason at a time of ascendancy. It should be a really interesting next couple of seasons.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

Dave doesn’t want Kier playing the point. That only happens in unfortunate circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Agree, Jim...and of course, welcome to Xavier Johnson, who is choosing Mason at a time of ascendancy. It should be a really interesting next couple of seasons.

Absolutely. Xavier is a great fit for our program on many levels.

I’m glad Dave has rebuilt the roster to the point that we can now let freshmen come in and acclimate to college basketball for a year instead of throwing them right into the fire like Otis and Jaire.