Goodbye Ronald Polite

Best news all weekend! Very excited with this signing. Polite seems like the perfect replacement for Kier.

Coach Paulsen and his staff was on this kid for a long time.

He was probably one of our most targeted recruits in a while. Glad they landed their man. Sounds smart too. 3.5 GPA and 1150 SAT.

In some news on the big man front, 6'8" Giancarlo Rosado from Florida announced his top 5 choices and we made it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/giancarlo_345/status/1152336908648947712/photo/1

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Very fine student athletes. Sadly, neither with an A10 offer. Its still a proven fact you dont get very far unless you beat your conf foes also in recruiting to a degree. DP showing he knows what is needed, but he cant attain it.

Last edited:

FreeGunston12

All-American
Very fine student athletes. Sadly, neither with an A10 offer. Its still a proven fact you dont get very far unless you beat your conf foes also in recruiting to a degree. DP showing he knows what is needed, but he cant attain it.
Hot take. But the board at large has countered it time and again with examples from our own team. It’s not all about who you beat out. Kier, Miller, Greene, Livingston, all without another A-10 offer. All better than your average A-10 player.

Meanwhile, Mason beat out multiple A-10 teams for Copes and Holloway. So they must’ve been better players, right?

As for me, I’m excited to see what Polite can bring with his insane scoring stats and I’d love to sign Rosado as well. Rosado’s tape reminds me a lot of Ryan Pearson.

OP
Falco

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This still drives me nuts. Wasn't it a hell of a lot harder to recruit at Bucknell? How is he getting zero kids from where he used to have success?
Because Bucknell is a Ivy League wanna-be school. DP goes after high character players who want a good education. It’s easier to sell Bucknell to recruits who care about their education.

we have one more slot to fill in this class. Potentially two if we don't fill our open spot this summer for a 2019 recruit. we desperately need a big man with one or both spots.

also, AJ will be eligible to be a grad transfer if he desires as well after this season.

Mason32

Starter
Because Bucknell is a Ivy League wanna-be school. DP goes after high character players who want a good education. It’s easier to sell Bucknell to recruits who care about their education.

So Bucknell is Harvard compared to Mason and that gets recruits? What?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hot take. But the board at large has countered it time and again with examples from our own team. It’s not all about who you beat out. Kier, Miller, Greene, Livingston, all without another A-10 offer. All better than your average A-10 player.

Meanwhile, Mason beat out multiple A-10 teams for Copes and Holloway. So they must’ve been better players, right?

As for me, I’m excited to see what Polite can bring with his insane scoring stats and I’d love to sign Rosado as well. Rosado’s tape reminds me a lot of Ryan Pearson.

Taking off my green and gold tinted glasses here for a minute to look at this objectively, and this won't be a popular post.

Miller and Greene are not better than your average A-10 player, when playing consistently they may be right around the average though. Kier probably won't be better than your average A-10 player now that he's the star of the show and teams don't key in on Otis leaving him open to slash.

Outside of last year Otis was an above average A-10 player so I'll give you that.

I've said it on here before and I'll continue to say it until I'm proven wrong, but finding diamonds in the rough and hoping they develop into all A-10 absolutely can not be our recruiting strategy if we hope to contend in this league. It worked in the CAA because that's what everyone had to do at that level, but the big boys (and even a lot of the middle/bottom half teams) in the A-10 are pulling in 3-4 star guys consistently who are coming in an making an impact immediately. It's fine to take a flyer on a guy on a yearly basis, if the other 2-3 schollys you are giving out are going to guys you KNOW are going to make an impact / play meaningful minutes within the first 2 years of being on campus.

I'll give you Copes, but you can not have watched Holloway play in highschool or his freshman year and not thought he was a stud. He was unlucky to have played under Hewitt, who somehow managed to have every single player he ever brought in regress to worse then when they got on campus (look back on these boards, its something alot of people rightfully complained about at the time). Under better tutelage I have 0 doubt that Holloway would have been 1st team all A-10 by his Junior/Senior year with better coaching and discipline.

OP
Falco

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So Bucknell is Harvard compared to Mason and that gets recruits? What?
Bucknell is for 4.0 students who don't get into UPenn. Plus, they make the tournament on a consistent basis.

Paulsen has nothing to sell recruits. Average academics, at best an average A10 basketball program.
He can sell recruits on a locker room.... big whoop.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Taking off my green and gold tinted glasses here for a minute to look at this objectively, and this won't be a popular post.

Miller and Greene are not better than your average A-10 player, when playing consistently they may be right around the average though. Kier probably won't be better than your average A-10 player now that he's the star of the show and teams don't key in on Otis leaving him open to slash.

Outside of last year Otis was an above average A-10 player so I'll give you that.

I've said it on here before and I'll continue to say it until I'm proven wrong, but finding diamonds in the rough and hoping they develop into all A-10 absolutely can not be our recruiting strategy if we hope to contend in this league. It worked in the CAA because that's what everyone had to do at that level, but the big boys (and even a lot of the middle/bottom half teams) in the A-10 are pulling in 3-4 star guys consistently who are coming in an making an impact immediately. It's fine to take a flyer on a guy on a yearly basis, if the other 2-3 schollys you are giving out are going to guys you KNOW are going to make an impact / play meaningful minutes within the first 2 years of being on campus.

I'll give you Copes, but you can not have watched Holloway play in highschool or his freshman year and not thought he was a stud. He was unlucky to have played under Hewitt, who somehow managed to have every single player he ever brought in regress to worse then when they got on campus (look back on these boards, its something alot of people rightfully complained about at the time). Under better tutelage I have 0 doubt that Holloway would have been 1st team all A-10 by his Junior/Senior year with better coaching and discipline.
Great post!

In the A-10 we are bottom 5 in star rating along with Fordham, Bona, Davidson and GW...

McKillop is legendary so we can not talk about them.....

But would you rather Mason be in the Bona, Fordham, GW class of recruits or....the Dayton, vcu, URI class at the top of the star classification in the A10?... it is a no brainer and people need to start being realistic.. Paulsen couldn't wear McKillop's jock strap... so he damn well better recruit better players to level the playing field..

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Well, AJ had offers from Penn State, Cincinnati, DePaul and UMD was interested (although they didn’t ever offer I don’t think).

Greg Calixte had offers from St. Binaventure (hey look an A10 school), DePaul, La Salle (another A10 school), and Temple.

Goanar Mar had offers from Iowa State, Nebraska, UNI, and Richmond (hey an A10 school)

Jason Douglas-Stanley had offers from St. Bonaventure (hey, an A10 school) New Mexico, and ODU and had interest from DePaul and vcu

We have probably two diamonds in the rough on the roster, Miller and Kier (maybe Javon Greene if he can just become more consistent shooting the ball).

At least one inexplicably under recruited player, Jamal Hartwell (three star with very few offers).

I mean, that’s 8 players with at least one player at every position. St. Bonaventure and Davidson went about 6 or 7 deep last season and that’s it.

There is plenty of potential on this team, they just haven’t all coalesced at the same time (we though that was going to be last season but Mar regressed, Otis regressed, Grayer stooped playing, Reuter didn’t pan out and Paulsen didn’t switch to Calixte fast enough, and AJ got a concussion and then stopped being played — we discovered Miller could ball, and Kier really stepped it up). If the above 8 players can all put it together (and we didn’t talk about Xavier Johnson and Ian Boyd yet) we will be in contention. But that’s the question.

And welcome Ronald Polite! Can’t wait to see you in green and gold.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

and also..... Paulsen has successfully recruited only three players in his time at Mason that anybody on an equal or better conference status has even thought about recruiting (Wilson, Mar and Calixte)... He either can't coach AJ or AJ is uncoachable (definitely the first one), Mar regressed tremendously (still have hope) and Calixte (he has turned into a serviceable big who I enjoy watching play).... 3 players in over 4 full recruiting cycles... and we get a top 5 in the A-10 in its worst year since we have been in it and everyone wants to give Paulsen a pat on the butt??! yikes

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Well, AJ had offers from Penn State, Cincinnati, DePaul and UMD was interested (although they didn’t ever offer I don’t think).

Greg Calixte had offers from St. Binaventure (hey look an A10 school), DePaul, La Salle (another A10 school), and Temple.

Goanar Mar had offers from Iowa State, Nebraska, UNI, and Richmond (hey an A10 school)

Jason Douglas-Stanley had offers from St. Bonaventure (hey, an A10 school) New Mexico, and ODU and had interest from DePaul and vcu

We have probably two diamonds in the rough on the roster, Miller and Kier (maybe Javon Greene if he can just become more consistent shooting the ball).

At least one inexplicably under recruited player, Jamal Hartwell (three star with very few offers).

I mean, that’s 8 players with at least one player at every position. St. Bonaventure and Davidson went about 6 or 7 deep last season and that’s it.

There is plenty of potential on this team, they just haven’t all coalesced at the same time (we though that was going to be last season but Mar regressed, Otis regressed, Grayer stooped playing, Reuter didn’t pan out and Paulsen didn’t switch to Calixte fast enough, and AJ got a concussion and then stopped being played — we discovered Miller could ball, and Kier really stepped it up). If the above 8 players can all put it together (and we didn’t talk about Xavier Johnson and Ian Boyd yet) we will be in contention. But that’s the question.

And welcome Ronald Polite! Can’t wait to see you in green and gold.

Good post, appreciate being challenged with some facts to back it up. Still don't think 4/13 scholarship players with comparable/better offers is great but is admittedly better than I expected.

If that's what we are looking at though I think we have to ask the question what aren't we doing that St. Bonny/Davidson/others at the top are doing? If we are in fact pulling in the same quality recruits as them, how come we haven't been able to put it together and have a season at the top of the league yet? I think my main problem with Paulsen's recruitng lies in the last two years, where it seems like our recruiting seems to have been trending down when we arguably have more resources/recruiting pitches with new facilities, PT, etc and should be bringing in more highly regarded recruits.

Do look forward to seeing Polite in green and gold, hope he comes in and makes an impact immediately. Always need guys who can flat out put the ball in the bucket.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
and also..... Paulsen has successfully recruited only three players in his time at Mason that anybody on an equal or better conference status has even thought about recruiting (Wilson, Mar and Calixte)... He either can't coach AJ or AJ is uncoachable (definitely the first one), Mar regressed tremendously (still have hope) and Calixte (he has turned into a serviceable big who I enjoy watching play).... 3 players in over 4 full recruiting cycles... and we get a top 5 in the A-10 in its worst year since we have been in it and everyone wants to give Paulsen a pat on the butt??! yikes

You forgot JDS.

It’s also pretty obvious that Otis and Jaire were way under recruited, as was Jordan Miller (although it looks like at least West Virginia was giving him a look even if they didn’t offer) and Kier.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

Here's your last 15 posts. See if you can spot the trend the rest of us do.

It's not that everyone else thinks everything is kittens and rainbows, it's that you're over the top and belaboring the point over and over again. You've become a parody.

And worst of all, you're not clever about it, or funny, or bringing any new information. You're a drain and you've become a troll as bad as DJ3 & PMP who are the only ones that like your posts.

Do better. Add some value or STFU.

1. Post
    Welcome Ronald Polite
    and also..... Paulsen has successfully recruited only three players in his time at Mason that anybody on an equal or better conference status has...

2. Welcome Ronald Polite
    Great post! In the A-10 we are bottom 5 in star rating along with Fordham, Bona, Davidson and GW... McKillop is legendary so we can not talk about...

3. Kenner
    Where’s the anger from everyone about Herndon being so negative about AJ. Some people say one bad word about any of our players and they need to...

4. Welcome Ronald Polite
    Paulsen is supposedly a north eastern recruiter too. Wonder what happened

5. Kenner
    Kenner Something something blah blah something something. AJ is a monster. We must use him as a weapon.

6. 2019 Recruiting
    Your original point about Dixon had absolutely no point to it. I don’t think you meant this but Dixon is not a needed piece to Our program today and...

7. 2019 Recruiting
    Idk what else to say other than he either won’t play for NC state next year or he will be a slightly better version than what we saw. He’s not good...

8. 2019 Recruiting
    I will let you figure out yourself why this was kinda dumb to post.... Greg might average 15-10 at UMKC

9. 2019 Recruiting
  10. 2020 Recruiting
  11. 2019 Recruiting
  12. Otis to play in Denmark
  13. 2020 Recruiting
  14. Welcome Ronald Polite

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Good post, appreciate being challenged with some facts to back it up. Still don't think 4/13 scholarship players with comparable/better offers is great but is admittedly better than I expected.

If that's what we are looking at though I think we have to ask the question what aren't we doing that St. Bonny/Davidson/others at the top are doing? If we are in fact pulling in the same quality recruits as them, how come we haven't been able to put it together and have a season at the top of the league yet? I think my main problem with Paulsen's recruitng lies in the last two years, where it seems like our recruiting seems to have been trending down when we arguably have more resources/recruiting pitches with new facilities, PT, etc and should be bringing in more highly regarded recruits.

Do look forward to seeing Polite in green and gold, hope he comes in and makes an impact immediately. Always need guys who can flat out put the ball in the bucket.

Davidson and St. Bonvanture have landed at least one dominant player that changes games and we haven’t. Look at Payton Aldridge, Kellen Grady, and JAG for Davidson and then Jaylen Adams, Matt Mobley, and Courtney Stockard for St. Bonaventure (probably will be Kyle Lofton next year, considering how good he was his freshman season, Osun was also really, really good). We thought Otis and Grayer were going to be that for us last season but they weren’t.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Davidson and St. Bonvanture have landed at least one dominant player that changes games and we haven’t. Look at Payton Aldridge, Kellen Grady, and JAG for Davidson and then Jaylen Adams, Matt Mobley, and Courtney Stockard for St. Bonaventure (probably will be Kyle Lofton next year, considering how good he was his freshman season, Osun was also really, really good). We thought Otis and Grayer were going to be that for us last season but they weren’t.
Davidson and Bona recruit mostly only 2 stars as well. Why are there's panning out at a much higher clip than our 2 stars. They are getting guys to the NBA that had minimal scholarship offers... Schmidt and McKillop (answer is yes) that much better of a talent evaluator, scout, coach, etc than Paulsen?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Here's your last 15 posts. See if you can spot the trend the rest of us do.

It's not that everyone else thinks everything is kittens and rainbows, it's that you're over the top and belaboring the point over and over again. You've become a parody.

And worst of all, you're not clever about it, or funny, or bringing any new information. You're a drain and you've become a troll as bad as DJ3 & PMP who are the only ones that like your posts.

Do better. Add some value or STFU.

1. Post
    Welcome Ronald Polite
    and also..... Paulsen has successfully recruited only three players in his time at Mason that anybody on an equal or better conference status has...

2. Welcome Ronald Polite
    Great post! In the A-10 we are bottom 5 in star rating along with Fordham, Bona, Davidson and GW... McKillop is legendary so we can not talk about...

3. Kenner
    Where’s the anger from everyone about Herndon being so negative about AJ. Some people say one bad word about any of our players and they need to...

4. Welcome Ronald Polite
    Paulsen is supposedly a north eastern recruiter too. Wonder what happened

5. Kenner
    Kenner Something something blah blah something something. AJ is a monster. We must use him as a weapon.

6. 2019 Recruiting
    Your original point about Dixon had absolutely no point to it. I don’t think you meant this but Dixon is not a needed piece to Our program today and...

7. 2019 Recruiting
    Idk what else to say other than he either won’t play for NC state next year or he will be a slightly better version than what we saw. He’s not good...

8. 2019 Recruiting
    I will let you figure out yourself why this was kinda dumb to post.... Greg might average 15-10 at UMKC

9. 2019 Recruiting
  10. 2020 Recruiting
  11. 2019 Recruiting
  12. Otis to play in Denmark
  13. 2020 Recruiting
  14. Welcome Ronald Polite
the problem is they do find things kittens and rainbows.. the guys I argue with on here are the ones that are ecstatic about being 5-7 in the A-10 (Herndon) and guys that don't see a problem with recruiting non-A10 caliber players and then them not panning out (pretty much everyone else).

I bring statistics over why Paulsen is underwhelming and failing and I get called a troll and told to stop supporting the program

I bring statistics why our recruiting is underwhelming as well as player development and I get called a troll and told to stop supporting the program

A10 media outlets, Rothstein, all think we finish 8-10 next year.. I agree with them and I get called a troll and told to stop supporting the program

At some point you guys will look at statistics over fuzzy feelings inside your tummies about Paulsen...

We don't have to recruit at the level of Dayton to be a good A10 team.... but we damn sure shouldn't be at the level of GW and Fordham....

Lasalle's new coach would have been my dream hire here and he has pulled in 2 3 stars and a 4 star at one of the shittiest schools (facilities, city, area, program) in the A10... just watch in two seasons time about which program is better.. unfortunately it won't be us

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

So do you think we are 1 impact player away from being top 3 in the A-10? (legit question not trying to attack your opinion on it)

If Greene or one of last years freshman came back this season, and absolutely took a leap forward and put up 2-3rd team all a-10 type numbers and Kier kept up his averages +2-3 PPG, with no major injuries would we be a top 3 A-10 team?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Davidson and Bona recruit mostly only 2 stars as well. Why are there's panning out at a much higher clip than our 2 stars. They are getting guys to the NBA that had minimal scholarship offers... Schmidt and McKillop (answer is yes) that much better of a talent evaluator, scout, coach, etc than Paulsen?

Is Davidson ever in the conversation for 3-4 star type players? Are they recruiting against other A-10 schools or just looking at a completely different pool than the rest of us (legit questions I do not know the answer to)?