Welcome Mouhamed Lamine Mbaye

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
At the risk of replying to DJ3, https://bleacherreport.com/articles...and-delivers-paul-hewitt-his-first-big-splash.

Recruiting is great, and is a big part of coaching, but its not the whole of coaching.

I'm very encouraged by what I'm seeing from English, but games are won on the floor, not on twitter.
I agree with you. That's why I started my statement with "Obviously zero results YET". But like you said, recruiting is only one aspect of coaching. Even Hewitt could recruit.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree with you. That's why I started my statement with "Obviously zero results YET". But like you said, recruiting is only one aspect of coaching. Even Hewitt could recruit.

Hewitt did recruit well, but I don't think he recruited this well this quick with rankings and stars and what not. What English is doing is truly unique to Mason and something I certainly haven't seen in almost 20 years as being a fan.

Now granted, he pulled Copes quick, but that was the jewel with additionally retaining Edwards and Gray. English has already pulled Schwartz, Mbaye, and Cooper and all 3 are all well rated and probably better rated than Edwards and Gray. Of course its transfers vs first year players too.

I agree that there aren't results yet, but if he somehow can't coach with this talent (and he is just starting), I'd be legitimately shocked.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Now granted, he pulled Copes quick, but that was the jewel with additionally retaining Edwards and Gray. English has already pulled Schwartz, Mbaye, and Cooper and all 3 are all well rated and probably better rated than Edwards and Gray. Of course its transfers vs first year players too.

Only reason Hewitt got Copes was because Hobbs got fired at GW and we picked up that assistant who was Copes's uncle.

illayin

Sixth Man
I think part of Hewitt's problem was that he went for transfers who were actually disgruntled and perhaps had bad attitudes/work ethic from P5 schools and were willing to transfer to a mid-major in hopes they'd return to their AAU/HS glory.

At GT he didn't have to worry about landing transfers, but at Mason he saw someone who was a guy he'd recruit in HS and went for him because that's who he'd normally recruit and it usually worked out -- at GT that usually worked because 8/13 guys working out was good enough recruiting-wise.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The Virus recruited any type of player. Mostly 6'7 wings that couldn't dribble. KE is recruiting pieces to a puzzle. If he can't coach the pieces he clearly needs and is signing to all of our surprise, then like someone said, I'd be shocked.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
excited for this signing. I wouldn’t be surprised if he redshirts. As we’ve learned it takes more time for bigs to transition to college basketball.

I’ve only watched highlights, but i noticed he only went right. Then again it was only a 3 minute highlight video

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
exciting for this signing. I wouldn’t be surprised if he redshirts. As we’ve learned it takes more time for bigs to transition to college basketball.

I’ve only watched highlights, but i noticed he only went right. Then again it was only a 3 minute highlight video

if he’s going to play more of a 4/5 role I suspect they need him for depth even if he won’t play much. It’s only really him Henry and Oduro at the 4/5 spot. If they go get a transfer then maybe they can redshirt him. It’s a good idea, although if he’s getting bcs looks I suspect he might be more ready for d1 basketball than what we’ve seen previously at Mason.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What was the stomp game? UCF? In fairness, we only blew a 23 point lead or something...

Man, my memory is going... Who has the real info?

South Florida, and it was like a 20 point lead. I try to block that game out of my mind haha

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
if he’s going to play more of a 4/5 role I suspect they need him for depth even if he won’t play much. It’s only really him Henry and Oduro at the 4/5 spot. If they go get a transfer then maybe they can redshirt him. It’s a good idea, although if he’s getting bcs looks I suspect he might be more ready for d1 basketball than what we’ve seen previously at Mason.
5 — Oduro/Mbaye
4 — Miller*/Henry
3 — Schwartz/Frazier/Gadsden
2 — Cooper/Kolek*
1 — Polite/Gray/XJ/Hartwell

Yeah I don’t see Mbaye or anyone else redshirting. Gonna need him for depth up front. With the new transfer rules it makes no sense to waste a year developing a player anyhow when he can just leave the next season.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
5 — Oduro/Mbaye
4 — Miller*/Henry
3 — Schwartz/Frazier/Gadsden
2 — Cooper/Kolek*
1 — Polite/Gray/XJ/Hartwell

Yeah I don’t see Mbaye or anyone else redshirting. Gonna need him for depth up front. With the new transfer rules it makes no sense to waste a year developing a player anyhow when he can just leave the next season.
Good point and good breakdown. I suspect it depends now on what Kolek and Miller do where they can fill in the roster. Probably best available but maybe a 4/5 and a 2 guard, but it certainly looks more balanced already.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Good point and good breakdown. I suspect it depends now on what Kolek and Miller do where they can fill in the roster. Probably best available but maybe a 4/5 and a 2 guard, but it certainly looks more balanced already.
If Kolek and Miller both stay I could see KE playing Kolek at the 1 just to try to get our best 5 on the floor ... not sure he can guard A-10 PGs but that would be one helluva dangerous offensive lineup