Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

By George.

Starter
What? Did you choose to forget Elvis Dinkins and JF? Let's see how they play before asking dumb questions.

Our roster has been completely turned over in 2 offseasons, people are complaining about the point guard spot like he didn’t land his top priority PG recruit - Dinkins. Our whole starting lineup is out of the portal. Look at the size and pedigree of our roster and enjoy it. All I needed to hear was that Saquan will be a PG and I can get behind it. Keep swinging till ya hit!

I won’t be grabbing a pitchfork if Saquan doesn’t work out, that’s for sure.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Interview was worse coach speak than the Paulsen interview where he claimed Reuter was a Top 5 A-10 player. If Saquan is our PG they are fighting for 11th place
I didn't get the impression from interview that Saquan will definitely be our primary point guard, just that he will be competing with Dinkins and Polite for those minutes.

That being said, I wonder if English is being overly optimistic about the type of pg play Singleton brings. We'll see - I'd love to see him kill it in whatever role he ends up with.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Listening to the podcast and just heard the endorsement from English

100% in on Singleton being the answer. Very very excited based on how English described him. Maybe some coach speak, but I have trust in him.

Its a big year so I hope this isn't a mistake, but hearing coach be excited about him being a point guard is very very good.

If Singleton is as good as advertised, there is absolutely no reason why this program shouldn't be competing for a top 5 spot.

Fantastic episode and a job well done @By George.

Last edited:

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you ByGeorge!! Great episode. I kinda want a recap episode with your thoughts of the interview.

Again thanks for giving us some great content.
Recap episode, twitter spaces conversation, or just in depth thoughts on here would all work… lots to digest and talk about.

We don’t know who the PG is going to be, but we do know why a PG wasn’t targeted with those last two scholarships. I think many questioned that over the last month.

I think there was a couple of subtle remarks made in the interview that are interesting:

- At one point early on English talked about the portal and how you can love a guy, but you find out new information and back away from them. Total speculation, but there was a rumor that we backed off of Sessoms at some point, so that left me wondering if Kim was talking about Sessoms there.

- Rudi was brought up and Kim didn’t reference him specifically in his comments, but mentioned how some guys are only interested in coming and getting buckets and getting their stats. Again, speculation, but was that a reference to Rudi? I don’t know, but it seemed like it.

By George.

Starter
Recap episode, twitter spaces conversation, or just in depth thoughts on here would all work… lots to digest and talk about.

We don’t know who the PG is going to be, but we do know why a PG wasn’t targeted with those last two scholarships. I think many questioned that over the last month.

I think there was a couple of subtle remarks made in the interview that are interesting:

- At one point early on English talked about the portal and how you can love a guy, but you find out new information and back away from them. Total speculation, but there was a rumor that we backed off of Sessoms at some point, so that left me wondering if Kim was talking about Sessoms there.

- Rudi was brought up and Kim didn’t reference him specifically in his comments, but mentioned how some guys are only interested in coming and getting buckets and getting their stats. Again, speculation, but was that a reference to Rudi? I don’t know, but it seemed like it.

Yeah trying to decide what to do, I think a spaces would be fun because it allows people to give their opinions. There’s only so much Chris and I can say. We’re not as demanding for a good season as some are because we simply appreciate the roster turnover. It now resembles a solid A10 team. If it clicks is TBD, have to find continuity quickly but I think KE is doing a good job bringing in guys that he’s familiar with either by coaching or recruiting but also targeting guys (Saquan) who are coached by his former coaches. So overall, I just simply love the direction. I’m a DC sports fan, I know not to expect too much, and with this I’m just going to enjoy the process.

There’s a ton of little tidbits, like we’re not going to redshirt anyone and KE wants ticket to play more 3 than 4 this year. The EP is filled with info, I’m so glad we didn’t rehash last season…and we won’t in the next 2 either.

Last edited:

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Thank you gentlemen. I took about 3 pages of notes. There is a lot to process. I will go back and listen again to see what I missed the first time around. I am excited about the upcoming season in a way that I really haven't been in years. We will be bigger, stronger, tougher, more athletic, deeper, and smarter. I'm hoping that will translate into 20+ wins and a top 4 A10 finish, but the A10 itself will be better so that will not be an easy task.

Here's a guide, give or take a few seconds, to help those that may want to listen again about individual players. Trying to give the Readers Digest summary on each.

13:35 Victor Bailey: Known as VJ. Described by KE as being tough, humble, and poised. He is a shooting guard who can play point. Tough defender. Competitive. He can/will be utilized best by "unleashing" him on both ends of the floor. Let him create havoc on both ends.

19:00 "Big John" Ojiako. "Love him." "Exactly what we need." He and Josh will play together. He'll provide a more physical presence on both ends and will help protect the rim. We will be a lot more physical this year. I loved the story about KE saying he had never felt such strength. Incredibly powerful. Looking like Wilt when he dunks may be a bit of a stretch though. LOL.

28:00 Saquan Singleton. "Point guard" will be his position. He had to play the 4 at New Mexico out of need. A former coach referred to him as being "the best teammate" he ever coached and the "toughest" player he ever coached. "He's exactly what we need."

38:00 Justyn Fernandez. His talent is "undeniable." Incredible in the open floor. Humble learner. "Ridiculous" raw talent. Growth in toughness and on the defensive end will come. KE thinks he's going to be special. He'll play meaningful minutes as a freshman with potential BIG minutes next year.

46:00 Devin Dinkins. He's really good - he just needs to show it. KE wants him to be aggressive and "nasty." He's a winner who listens well.

52:00 Elvis Nnaji. He's a wing who can play 3 - 4 - 5. He will compete for minutes this year.

57:00 Peter Oduro. He played limited minutes in high school. Loves him as a person. Delivers great "body punches." Incredible worker.

One thing that KE talked about all last year was that he wanted guys with toughness. I think he made major strides in that regard with this group. Lots of time to debate lineups and the like.

Last edited:

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
On the team side it appears that we will be flexible which will allow us match up better against opponents in a way we couldn't last year. We can go big, normal, or small. I like KE saying that he isn't married to one line-up.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'd add KE's introspection on how he handled playing time - perhaps playing a few too much specifically Ticket. Good coaches look to improve their choices.

I think he was pretty correct about our depth, though. Maybe Otis could have played a little bit more, but not much.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Who was he referring to about leaving their feet? He said Justin, but subject was Dinkins.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Great episode and great content.
I liked how English talked about overcoming recruiting challenges like no football.

Mosaic is nice, but a tad surprised that’s where they put the guys on their official visit.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Looks like there will be a battle at the 1 (Saquan, Polite) and 2 (Bailey, Cooper — talking about improved depth, having one of those two coming off the bench!)

If I had to guess our base starting 5:

PG: Singleton
SG: Bailey
SF: Ticket
PF: Oduro
C: Ojiako

If we go four guard: Ticket shifts to the 4, Oduro the 5, Cooper comes in as the SG.

With a 5 guard (he said he wished he played more of Ticket at the 5 last season) does that mean bringing in Polite as the PG or does it mean Fernandez coming in as a wing?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Looks like there will be a battle at the 1 (Saquan, Polite) and 2 (Bailey, Cooper — talking about improved depth, having one of those two coming off the bench!)

If I had to guess our base starting 5:

PG: Singleton
SG: Bailey
SF: Ticket
PF: Oduro
C: Ojiako

If we go four guard: Ticket shifts to the 4, Oduro the 5, Cooper comes in as the SG.

With a 5 guard (he said he wished he played more of Ticket at the 5 last season) does that mean bringing in Polite as the PG or does it mean Fernandez coming in as a wing?
He said he won’t play two non shooters together so that means Fernandez would come in, in that scenario which I doubt happens often

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He said he won’t play two non shooters together so that means Fernandez would come in, in that scenario which I doubt happens often

Yes, and the way he talked about Oduro’s game it sounds like Oduro has to become more consistent from the outside for my base lineup to actually be a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.