Welcome Kim English

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Oh come on. It took until he literally left. This opinion would've gotten you dragged to the guillotine on here a month ago.

He was being dragged until the 7 game winning streak to end the season. His win against a Richmond team missing their coach is apparently what got him this job…

I wouldn’t call him an empty suit, though. He clearly knows the game and he clearly was trying to win here. I would call him a self-promoter (but Larranaga, let’s be honest, had a bit of that in him too) and someone whose outward facing personality as a coach has been cultivated (aka not genuine—think Taylor Swift; rather than Bruiser Flint or Ron Hunter). This doesn’t make him a bad coach or a bad person though.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
He was being dragged until the 7 game winning streak to end the season. His win against a Richmond team missing their coach is apparently what got him this job…

I wouldn’t call him an empty suit, though. He clearly knows the game and he clearly was trying to win here. I would call him a self-promoter (but Larranaga, let’s be honest, had a bit of that in him too) and someone whose outward facing personality as a coach has been cultivated (aka not genuine—think Taylor Swift). This doesn’t make him a bad coach or a bad person though.
I feel like the Dayton win and the 7-game streak (which it was a part of) were what sealed the deal. Seemed like the team was really rolling at that point, everyone except VBJ was healthy and we were looking good. Then we got steamrolled by an SLU squad we easily could have beaten.

Had he not left I'd still feel optimistic about our program moving forward....probably about the same or slightly better than I feel now (since we'd have Ticket/Oduro returning). I was bought it because he was the coach of my team and it's more fun being optimistic when it comes to sports.

But he's gone now, and I don't have to be bought in, so I can complain about all the dumb stuff he did because he chose to close the book on his body of work as head coach of my favorite team.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was just referencing Providence’s AD quoting an SI article which stated if English won 20 games in his second season watch out. He had 19 regular season wins and the Richmond win got him to the minimally qualified category in the mind of the AD.

I thought he did a mostly good job getting buy-in from the players after Bailey went down to actually finally care about defense and was optimistic for next season too.

KAOriginal

All-American
English just represents the modern coaching world. More than x and os....it's imaging, branding and being considered the latest greatest.

It's what the P5s want...the shiny new toy. It's how and why you can move up on moderate success. Like throwing a silver spinner bait in front of a hungry bass.

Don't hate the player...hate the game.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I complained enough about KE when he was here, but there is one thing that I didn't criticize that I want to add now - - - I wonder how long it'll be before he has Tennessee/Colorado on the schedule at Providence.

Either way, I wish him well. I don't think he's ready for a conference in which the runaway national champion finished T4, but I'll root for him anyways.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think it’s sweet people are rooting for CKE. Really f u c k i n g sweet. Poor guy. He works so hard all his life and gets no breaks at all.

I mean he won 20 games at Mason. Repeat MASON! I don’t think that’s ever happened at Mason. Then ended the season with a 30 point loss and was completely outclassed, out coached and just ….. outed.

And all he gets is a measly 4 mill a year offer from a P5.

I mean what else does a guy have to do to get ahead in life, jeeez!

Godspeed Kimberly English. Godspeed

I think it’s sweet people are rooting for CKE. Really f u c k i n g sweet. Poor guy. He works so hard all his life and gets no breaks at all.

I mean he won 20 games at Mason. Repeat MASON! I don’t think that’s ever happened at Mason. Then ended the season with a 30 point loss and was completely outclassed, out coached and just ….. outed.

And all he gets is a measly 4 mill a year offer from a P5.

I mean what else does a guy have to do to get ahead in life, jeeez!

Godspeed Kimberly English. Godspeed
LOL

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
English just represents the modern coaching world. More than x and os....it's imaging, branding and being considered the latest greatest.

It's what the P5s want...the shiny new toy. It's how and why you can move up on moderate success. Like throwing a silver spinner bait in front of a hungry bass.

Don't hate the player...hate the game.
For me, I can hate 'em both.

I complained enough about KE when he was here, but there is one thing that I didn't criticize that I want to add now - - - I wonder how long it'll be before he has Tennessee/Colorado on the schedule at Providence.

Either way, I wish him well. I don't think he's ready for a conference in which the runaway national champion finished T4, but I'll root for him anyways.
Nope. Not gonna happen.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Oh come on. It took until he literally left. This opinion would've gotten you dragged to the guillotine on here a month ago.
My man speaking some truth - short memories.
In hindsight - I believe this change will be beneficial. I am trusting in Coach Skinn. For me , I will do my part to bring the blind Mason patriotism, violence, and advanced arms as necessary.

For me, I can hate 'em both.
All this righteous hate - strong hate is making my jeans tight.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I wouldn’t call him an empty suit, though. He clearly knows the game and he clearly was trying to win here. I would call him a self-promoter (but Larranaga, let’s be honest, had a bit of that in him too) and someone whose outward facing personality as a coach has been cultivated (aka not genuine—think Taylor Swift; rather than Bruiser Flint or Ron Hunter). This doesn’t make him a bad coach or a bad person though.
People were not happy but let's be realistic, if Ticket doesn't get hurt and we eke out one more game and finish top four, we would've been treating him like the messiah. I agree he's a bit of a self-promoter and he benefits from his youth but it's so funny to see people try and pretend like this is the outcome they would've asked for in January.

patriotchild

Starter
I don’t think anyone would have said cut bait on English in January but there was certainly enough folks in the “wait and see” camp, myself included, who aren’t distraught that he’s gone. Injuries or not, he couldn’t put a consistent lineup together to save himself. And at times it seemed he was more focused on the “little (flashy) things” about the program than his coaching. Unless we were dancing most of us weren’t coming close to thinking he was our savior. And the win streak at the end wasn’t giving me warm and fuzzies for next year either (I think he knew that too).

KE is a self promoter, we knew that going in. And his abrupt departure makes that obviously clear and there was zero chance he was here to actually build a program. In some ways we should be thankful he ripped the bandaid off for us.

In hindsight, Mason wasn’t ready for a KE hire and it wasn’t a good fit. KE wasn’t interested in, or up for, the challenge of building a program from the ground up. And Mason needs a program builder. Bolting is probably the right move for both parties.

Only a school with a strong program can pull hiring and supporting the flashy hot up and comer who wants to make a name and move on, Mason wasn’t ready for this and KE knew it. So he looked out for himself and jetted the first chance he got and found what he thinks will be an easier gig that’s “big time” where he won’t have to do as much of the the hard work of program building. More power to him, good luck, and I hope they suck for a few years so he sees it wasn’t about the flashy things Mason didn’t have.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Well said Patriotchild.....what an awesome closing statement for this thread. I 2nd the motion to now close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.