Welcome Katie Pate- Senior Associate AD - Director of Development

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Fairfax, Va.
-- George Mason University Assistant Vice President and Director of Athletics Marvin Lewis announced today that Katie Pate has been named the department's Senior Associate AD, Director of Development.

Throughout her more than 23-year career within intercollegiate athletics, Pate has excelled in many leadership positions as a head coach, a broadcaster, an external relations leader, and a fundraiser.

“We are thrilled to welcome Katie to the George Mason Athletics Family,” said Lewis. “We are adding a dynamic leader with a diverse and extensive background within intercollegiate athletics and a proven track record in fundraising and relationship building. Her energy, innovation, passion for intercollegiate athletics, and competitive spirit make her the perfect fit as we elevate our engagement with alumni, supporters of Mason Athletics, and the local community.

I want to thank Renaissance Search & Consulting and the search committee, Jenny Everett (chair), Folarin Campbell, Eileen Kennedy, Kara Mupo, and Sumeet Shrivastava, for their dedication, commitment, and care throughout the process, which made for a very efficient and successful search.

see more here https://gomason.com/news/2023/12/11...ior-associate-ad-director-of-development.aspx

Welcome Katie - Looking forward to her creating a team focused on fundraising and relationship building.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I've done a deep dive, and she's legit. She has led an extremely well-rounded, impressive career. Kind of amazing how many hats she's worn, many at the same time.

Excited for her to be able to focus in on fundraising here, and perhaps lend her expertise to other areas when time permits.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Wait....it took us FIVE years to fill this job? That's so absurd and again points to how stagnant and directionless the previous admin/AD were on athletics.

Props to Marvin though on prioritizing the need to fill this leadership position. Her diverse background stands out, and you can't ignore the fundraising successes at App State. Hopefully it translates over to Mason, and quickly, but glad this crucial area of the AD now has leadership in place.

Wait....it took us FIVE years to fill this job? That's so absurd and again points to how stagnant and directionless the previous admin/AD were on athletics.

Props to Marvin though on prioritizing the need to fill this leadership position. Her diverse background stands out, and you can't ignore the fundraising successes at App State. Hopefully it translates over to Mason, and quickly, but glad this crucial area of the AD now has leadership in place.
God did the Cabrera/Edwards pairing suck...

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
We should all keep in mind that hiring for this and many other Athletic Department positions are sometimes impacted by the salary offered and Fairfax County's cost of living. My wife briefly was interested in an AD job in Northern Va, but while the salary was comparable to other AD jobs in the DMV, it was not comparable at all to jobs in her original area of expertise, Comms/PR.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
We should all keep in mind that hiring for this and many other Athletic Department positions are sometimes impacted by the salary offered and Fairfax County's cost of living. My wife briefly was interested in an AD job in Northern Va, but while the salary was comparable to other AD jobs in the DMV, it was not comparable at all to jobs in her original area of expertise, Comms/PR.
Anyone who has a career in the sports industry (myself included) knows that this comes with the territory whether it's jobs in college athletics, at a league, team, agency, etc. They are highly competitive and sought after regardless of salary discrepancies vs. other industries (i.e. doing PR at a tech company). There is zero chance salary was the reason why this job was not filled for 5+ years....

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Anyone who has a career in the sports industry (myself included) knows that this comes with the territory whether it's jobs in college athletics, at a league, team, agency, etc. They are highly competitive and sought after regardless of salary discrepancies vs. other industries (i.e. doing PR at a tech company). There is zero chance salary was the reason why this job was not filled for 5+ years....

And, why did it take more than 5 years to post the announcement - https://academiccareers.com/job/838...m_source=google_jobs_apply&utm_medium=organic

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Lack of budget? Hiring Freeze? Laziness? Completion of a study on a study of how to hire a development person?

All of these seem feasible. Perhaps its a completion of the study on the study, that might need to be adjudicated by the board studying the study that isn't completed yet like @GMUSSTN would propose.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Katie Pate has gotten rave reviews from two people I know who are well-connected in college athletics. This is the next step we absolutely needed to take to elevate our basketball programs and be true contenders in the A10 across all sports. I'm thrilled that Marvin and his team got this done so quickly.