Welcome Justin Kier

FreeGunston12

All-American
https://georgiabas
ketballblog.com/george-mason-graduate-justin-kier-is-transferring-to-georgia/
:

"Georgia needed a player who could shoot from the perimeter, Justin Kier, delivers.

Justin Kier will be immediately eligible to play for the Georgia Bulldogs next season and he will likely be a strong candidate to be a starter in the lineup whenever the season starts. Kier gives Georgia a perimeter shooting threat that they did not have last season and he will play an important role in ensuring that opponents respect Georgia’s spacing on the floor.
Kier’s impact at Georgia will go beyond shooting and spacing.

Kier’s a Strong Defensive Rebounder for his size and position.

Kier was pulling down a 20% defensive rebounding rate as a Junior at George Mason, 22.7% against Atlantic 10 competition. Before his injury this past season, he had an 18% defensive rebounding rate, which is also rather good.

Kier is a disruptive defender.

Georgia has not brought in any perimeter players who are expected to be disruptive thus far. Mikal Starks and K.D. Johnson have been subpar defenders against the closest competition that they would face to the college level. This changes with the infusion of Justin Kier. Kier immediately changes this team in practice and in the game, which is when the team can start practicing and playing games again.

In Kier’s Junior Year, he was able to get a 2.7% steals rate, which is impressive. Kier was able to do this without fouling either. He has a very low fouls committed per 40 minutes metric. Kier will not completely make up for the loss of Jordan Harris and Donnell Gresham Jr., but he fills some of the void and players like Christian Brown should make a larger contribution in the 2020-21 Season.

Kier is able to draw fouls and hit Free Throws

Kier instantly becomes the team’s best Free Throw shooter. Late in close games, who is going to put the game on ice at the Free Throw Line? The most proven candidate is Justin Kier. Kier will not have foul trouble and he will be able to play at the end of games to put games away. He was a 76.9% Free Throw shooter in his Junior Year and an 84.6% shooter prior to the stress fracture he suffered.

Kier can draw fouls and he should draw more with Tom Crean as a cutting and shooting option within the offense. Kier will have to make the right read on Sahvir Wheeler and K.D. Johnson’s dribble drives. As a baseline cutter, much in the role of Jordan Harris, he’ll be able to attack the basket and get his opportunities at the Free Throw Line. Kier should have opportunities to attack off the dribble drive and he may be discouraged from taking mid-range shots unless they are within 8 feet of the basket.

Three Point Shooting

The sample size from last season is low as Kier only attempted 24 three point Field Goal attempts from the new three point arc. He was a 45.8% three point shooter and that’s something to get excited about if he is able to maintain such a percentage. Shooting from the old three point arc, he was a 37.1% three point shooter."
If they think they are getting a true long range threat, they will be sorely disappointed. That being said, I want nothing but the best for Justin.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://www.dnronline.com/sports/fi...cle_47ed87c1-f5c6-5c4f-a0c6-151b7d300352.html:

“'From a talent standpoint, he’s the only Division I player I have coached,' Spotswood coach Chad Edwards said. 'His ability stood out at an early age, but what makes him special is just a genuine love of basketball. There’s no place he would rather be than in a gym. He’s just a kid who loves seeing how good he can be. That’s the reason he’s improved so much.'

Edwards said that following Kier’s breakout junior season his coaches began to hear from agents and scouts about his pro possibilities. The 2019-20 season was a setback in that regard with the injury, but now he has an opportunity to re-establish himself, which could mean a dream come true.

'He was really trending up with NBA and professional opportunities after his junior season,' Edwards said. 'I was blown away. When he injured his foot that really affected his stock. A chance to get healthy and to perform in front of all those folks again to improve his stock, I think that is priceless.'”

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
https://georgiabas
ketballblog.com/george-mason-graduate-justin-kier-is-transferring-to-georgia/
:

"Georgia needed a player who could shoot from the perimeter, Justin Kier, delivers.

Justin Kier will be immediately eligible to play for the Georgia Bulldogs next season and he will likely be a strong candidate to be a starter in the lineup whenever the season starts. Kier gives Georgia a perimeter shooting threat that they did not have last season and he will play an important role in ensuring that opponents respect Georgia’s spacing on the floor.
Kier’s impact at Georgia will go beyond shooting and spacing.

Kier’s a Strong Defensive Rebounder for his size and position.

Kier was pulling down a 20% defensive rebounding rate as a Junior at George Mason, 22.7% against Atlantic 10 competition. Before his injury this past season, he had an 18% defensive rebounding rate, which is also rather good.

Kier is a disruptive defender.

Georgia has not brought in any perimeter players who are expected to be disruptive thus far. Mikal Starks and K.D. Johnson have been subpar defenders against the closest competition that they would face to the college level. This changes with the infusion of Justin Kier. Kier immediately changes this team in practice and in the game, which is when the team can start practicing and playing games again.

In Kier’s Junior Year, he was able to get a 2.7% steals rate, which is impressive. Kier was able to do this without fouling either. He has a very low fouls committed per 40 minutes metric. Kier will not completely make up for the loss of Jordan Harris and Donnell Gresham Jr., but he fills some of the void and players like Christian Brown should make a larger contribution in the 2020-21 Season.

Kier is able to draw fouls and hit Free Throws

Kier instantly becomes the team’s best Free Throw shooter. Late in close games, who is going to put the game on ice at the Free Throw Line? The most proven candidate is Justin Kier. Kier will not have foul trouble and he will be able to play at the end of games to put games away. He was a 76.9% Free Throw shooter in his Junior Year and an 84.6% shooter prior to the stress fracture he suffered.

Kier can draw fouls and he should draw more with Tom Crean as a cutting and shooting option within the offense. Kier will have to make the right read on Sahvir Wheeler and K.D. Johnson’s dribble drives. As a baseline cutter, much in the role of Jordan Harris, he’ll be able to attack the basket and get his opportunities at the Free Throw Line. Kier should have opportunities to attack off the dribble drive and he may be discouraged from taking mid-range shots unless they are within 8 feet of the basket.

Three Point Shooting

The sample size from last season is low as Kier only attempted 24 three point Field Goal attempts from the new three point arc. He was a 45.8% three point shooter and that’s something to get excited about if he is able to maintain such a percentage. Shooting from the old three point arc, he was a 37.1% three point shooter."
"Kier gives Georgia a perimeter shooting threat "???

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Left-Hand Assassin

@_javon23

·
1h

UGA gotta good one

Quote Tweet

Rhd9oVk9_normal.jpg

@Jkiiiiii__
· 2h
WHAT’S POPPIN! GO DAWGS

@UGABasketball

ephoops

Starter
My post from April 14th:

Butler is probably the best fit if he decides to transfer. Georgia is the dark horse -- I believe Crean and DP are very good friends.

Personally, I think he should stay at Mason.

When I first saw Georgia on the list, I thought he would go there.

Good for him. I wish him all the best. From everything I have read and heard, he’s a great young man who has overcome a lot of personal adversity.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I have a feeling Kier is going to make you eat these words if there is a season next year.
I hope so. But he's averaged .6 3PM/G over his career (69 total), and I can't forget about his sophomore season when he shot 17%.

His career percentage (34%) isn't bad, but he hasn't ever shot a high volume. Opposing A-10 teams weren't really respecting his 3 either. If he can take that small sample size from last season and expand on it, I'd be thrilled.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I have a feeling Kier is going to make you eat these words if there is a season next year.
I hope so. But he's averaged .6 3PM/G over his career (69 total), and I can't forget about his sophomore season when he shot 17%.

His career percentage (34%) isn't bad, but he hasn't ever shot a high volume. Opposing A-10 teams weren't really respecting his 3 either. If he can take that small sample size from last season and expand on it, I'd be thrilled.
By comparison, Corey Edwards career numbers are shockingly similar:
0.6 3PM/G
74 Total
36% 3P%

I wouldn't call him a dangerous shooter, despite his career percentage. Similarly, the volume just wasn't there and he actually shot much more per minute played (3.6 per 40 minutes for Edward's compared to 2.4 per 40 for Kier).

Last edited:
good fit for Kier. He will slot right into Anthony Edwards' vacated slot and will be a Day 1 starter.

If his goal was to play for a BCS team, he got his wish. I'm not so sure the kid will ever reach the big dance though.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
good fit for Kier. He will slot right into Anthony Edwards' vacated slot and will be a Day 1 starter.

If his goal was to play for a BCS team, he got his wish. I'm not so sure the kid will ever reach the big dance though.
Is Paul Hewitt coaching Georgia? How did they go 5-13 in the SEC with Anthony Edwards.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Horrible choice for Kier when Michigan, and Nc State were options. I'm guessing Crean promised him a starting job. But we all know Crean is an idiot. Theres a reason Howard and Keatts wouldnt promise him a starting job. A damn good reason.

KAOriginal

All-American
Stop the over analyzing.

The kid got a bonus year of college hoops after spending 4 years in a "blah" program and almost losing his senior season to injury.

You dont always get that back.

If a big school says "come here...you can start"....you freaking go there. Going to a Michigan or NC State for name value to play 10 minutes a game is meaningless.

Players want to play.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm happy for him getting another year.

I guess playing in the ncaa tourney wasnt a big deal.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think I might show up with a Mason shirt on. And cheer for the Vols to kill the Bulldogs. Hate Georgia!
If you need tickets I can probably help you with th
Ever been to UGA or Athens, GA? It's a fun little town.

Not sure I'd ever call getting to spend a free year as an athlete in a premier sport among all those Georgia Peaches a mistake, no matter who else had offered.
Athens is very nice. This was not a mistake at all.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Ever been to UGA or Athens, GA? It's a fun little town.

Not sure I'd ever call getting to spend a free year as an athlete in a premier sport among all those Georgia Peaches a mistake, no matter who else had offered.

Must be why Georgia is always in the Dance and atop their conf.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Must be why Georgia is always in the Dance and atop their conf.
2 NCAA tournaments and 3 NITS in the past 10 years while being second fiddle at a great school... wonder why he chose that over your guarantee at Mason. You not only guaranteed he returned but tripled down on it.
Not acting like it’s a great basketball program but I think he’s better off at making a tourney there then here.
Minnesota also just signed a scrub transfer from Rice today so they were obviously holding out for Kier

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/justin-kier-commits-to-georgia:

"While Kier played the 2-guard spot at George Mason, his role in that offense wasn't a traditional one. From time to time, Kier often cut back and forth at the top of the key, which didn't always allow for him to get the cleanest look. He'll get an opportunity to play on the wing more often than not at Georgia, which should allow for higher percentage shots, and in turn, a higher three point percentage.

On the offensive side, Kier shows a lot of potential in his ability to move without the ball, finish at the rim in traffic, and shoot consistently in catch-and-shoot situations. At 6'4 200 pounds, Kier has the perfect frame for a 2-guard in Tom Crean's system. In his 2018-2019 campaign, the last full season of basketball he's played, Kier averaged 14.5 PPG on 47.1% shooting and 6.5 RPG.

As for defense, Kier also does a solid job of making ball handlers pay for loose handles. In his career, he's averaging just above 1 steal per outing.

Expect Kier to be in great position to have a starting spot from Day 1 given his shooting ability and experience. This allows the Bulldogs to develop K.D. Johnson without having to put too much pressure on him in his freshman year."

Last edited: