Welcome Jamal Hartwell

OP
S

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
As a current HS teacher, I can tell you when a kid calls me "bro" I absolutely lose my shit!
He’s retiring this year partly because of the technology and partly because these kids are just different now a days and half don’t want to learn anything

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My opinion about Jamal is that it's day zero for all of the returning players. We have three proven shooters on the team right now -- Schwartz, Cooper, and Hartwell, and unless someone else proves they can, as sleeper says, hit the broad side of a barn he probably belongs in the rotation somewhere. I'd be perfectly happy if Hartwell lost out on playing time to Frazier, Gray, Polite, and/or XJ, but I also know that right now, if you get Hartwell open on the outside and give him a good pass, he can hit those shots pretty frequently, so I can easily imagine Cooper or Schwartz driving to the basket and kicking it out to Hartwell for an open 3 from the corner.

As for defense, we have a new regime, new approach, new system and it remains to be seen if our poor perimeter defenders (Hartwell, XJ, Polite specifically) just can't defend or if some of it had to do with how Paulsen was asking them to defend.

OP
S

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My opinion about Jamal is that it's day zero for all of the returning players. We have three proven shooters on the team right now -- Schwartz, Cooper, and Hartwell, and unless someone else proves they can, as sleeper says, hit the broad side of a barn he probably belongs in the rotation somewhere. I'd be perfectly happy if Hartwell lost out on playing time to Frazier, Gray, Polite, and/or XJ, but I also know that right now, if you get Hartwell open on the outside and give him a good pass, he can hit those shots pretty frequently, so I can easily imagine Cooper or Schwartz driving to the basket and kicking it out to Hartwell for an open 3 from the corner.

As for defense, we have a new regime, new approach, new system and it remains to be seen if our poor perimeter defenders (Hartwell, XJ, Polite specifically) just can't defend or if some of it had to do with how Paulsen was asking them to defend.
Gotta find guys to pass it to the shooters which is why I think Polite is doing much better than Hartwell in that regard. I’m not sure that Schwartz is that guy (honestly don’t want him to be). Cooper definitely could be I think for sure

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Gotta find guys to pass it to the shooters which is why I think Polite is doing much better than Hartwell in that regard. I’m not sure that Schwartz is that guy (honestly don’t want him to be). Cooper definitely could be I think for sure

For sure, I agree we'd be better off if a facilitator is starting at that spot. I'm hoping Polite and/or XJ can lock down the starting spot there.

I see Hartwell as more of a shooter, off-ball kind of player, hopefully coming off the bench to ice games with some timely 3s, similar to Ike Tate (although Tate was also a great defender and much bigger, so it's not really a one-to-one comparison).

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
As a current HS teacher, I can tell you when a kid calls me "bro" I absolutely lose my shit!
Appreciate you. I work on education policy and it's been a hard year for the profession. I'm worried about a mass exodus of teachers as more experienced educators take early retirements and new ones say "F This" I'm finding something else to do w/my life for the next 20-40 years.

Last edited:

KAOriginal

All-American
My opinion about Jamal is that it's day zero for all of the returning players.

True concept. We have no idea what KE may be able to get out of these kids. Whether its coaching, system change, or having better players around them.

Are they perfect? Nope.
Do I think we have seen their ceiling? NOPE.
Better on court performance? PROBABLY.

I'm willing to bet on the "buy in" for some of these guys has gone thru the roof. What better way to start a new era than by having players who will run thru a wall for him?

Sit back, relax and see what happens....

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Pablo said:
In fact, Tremaine was the starting PG until Miskiri was eligible after the 1997 fall semester.
You sure about that?

Quentin Daniels​

Hall of Famer​

Tremaine Price started and had 8 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 turnovers, & 2 steals in 34 minutes in Mason's 60-45 loss at UVA on 11/22/97 -

Mason's starting lineup in the UVA game consisted of 3 scholarship players (freshmen George Evans & Price and sophomore Leighton Henry) & 2 walk-ons (Allen Johnson & Jemel Ross). Johnson left the team during the season, and Henry & Ross did not return for the 1998-99 CAA championship season.

Also, Mason's senior forward Avery Carey injured his back in the UVA game. This was the only game that he played in the season, and was granted a waiver for a medical hardship. He earned a CAA championship ring as a member of the Green Team in the 1998-99 season.

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Got to give him credit. Who knows, he just may blossom this year.
Jamal is a perfect 6th man. Comes in and provides a spark to the offense. Fans will criticize the coach for not giving him more minutes.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Does this mean he is transferring or he’s just done with college basketball?
I interpret it as he is either transferring or grad transferring to another school and will play one more year of college basketball