Welcome Coach Tony Skinn!

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
short term questions
1) Who will be the 3 asst coaches?
2) Which GMU players currently in the portal does he want back and can get back?
3) What is the mix of players that he can get from the portal to fill out the 23-24 season?
4) What will the OOC schedule look like? Will it include Maryland? or any other of his former schools?

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Link ==>
A native of Nigeria who grew up in Takoma Park, Maryland, Skinn played at George Mason from 2003-06, where he was a part of the Patriots’ legendary run to the Final Four under Jim Larrañaga. After that, he played professionally for six years before becoming a coach.

Skinn is well-known for the plethora of connections he has in the DMV area and is considered a great recruiter, taking the lead on many of Maryland’s key incoming recruits. His connections stem from his roots in the area and former experience as an assistant with local AAU power Team Takeover.

Willard will have big shoes to fill in finding a replacement for Skinn to join current assistants David Cox and Grant Billmeier on the staff.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
short term questions
1) Who will be the 3 asst coaches?
2) Which GMU players currently in the portal does he want back and can get back?
3) What is the mix of players that he can get from the portal to fill out the 23-24 season?
4) What will the OOC schedule look like? Will it include Maryland? or any other of his former schools?

it's a daunting list... he def. needs to meet with Ticket right away to see if he can solidify that relationship and keep him "out the portal".

phoenix-arizona

All-American
We are Inn to Winn with Skinn

1680191967949.jpeg

He15man

Starter
Now who will Skinn bring in for his assistants? He did cross paths with Greg Odom at Ohio state for a year, when Odom was a graduate assistant.

Now Odom is a Director of Basketball Operations at Butler. It looks like Odom wants to get into coaching. So maybe he will take a promotion to Mason? Why not right?
I haven't heard any specific names of potential assistants, but rest assured he's going to be allowed to build his staff as he sees fit. But having said that, I really do hope he brings his own version of Felton on board. I'm not saying I thought Felton was the BEST choice, but I do think it was smart of Kim to hire a guy that would willingly play second fiddle, but be someone seasoned enough to bang ideas off of. For that, I would LOVE to see Bill Courtney be that guy... but as much as he probably loves Tony, I doubt Bill would want to leave Miami for the same position at Mason. Plus, I'm sure Coach L isn't going to want to hand him over anytime soon since Bill is credited for assembling the heart of the current Cane roster.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I really do hope he brings his own version of Felton on board. I'm not saying I thought Felton was the BEST choice, but I do think it was smart of Kim to hire a guy that would willingly play second fiddle, but be someone seasoned enough to bang ideas off of.

Yes, this. It's the reason I called Huger out early on.

Coach L tree, experience running a program, previous Mason experience, can recruit New York well, probably Florida as well, [enter another reason here].

He15man

Starter
Yes, this. It's the reason I called Huger out early on.

Coach L tree, experience running a program, previous Mason experience, can recruit New York well, probably Florida as well, [enter another reason here].
Yeah... and not to be a broken record, but his time at OSU and MD have undoubtedly made him cross paths with some guys who are just dogs on the recruiting trail... My hope is that he brings a guy or two on board who are just gifted in this area - even if you have to sacrifice on the X's and O's acumen. Because recruiting is just a specialty and talent in its own right. And I don't think this person necessarily has to be an asst. coach, because this recruiting guru might be able to be an off-the-court support staffer. I don't know this for certain, but perhaps that was part of the deal negotiations... having the budget for assistants, but a couple support staffers who can focus on things that are the backbone of a program's growth.

Just a thought.

KAOriginal

All-American
Im all for ties to Mason...but going too far down that road can present it's own problems.

Most important is who does Skinn want as his experienced ear at his side?

2nd most important---will the game giveaway be Tony Skinn nutcrackers vs bobble heads this year?

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah... and not to be a broken record, but his time at OSU and MD have undoubtedly made him cross paths with some guys who are just dogs on the recruiting trail... My hope is that he brings a guy or two on board who are just gifted in this area - even if you have to sacrifice on the X's and O's acumen. Because recruiting is just a specialty and talent in its own right. And I don't think this person necessarily has to be an asst. coach, because this recruiting guru might be able to be an off-the-court support staffer. I don't know this for certain, but perhaps that was part of the deal negotiations... having the budget for assistants, but a couple support staffers who can focus on things that are the backbone of a program's growth.

Just a thought.

No disagreement. We know Tony can hold down the DMV saying that he walked into Paul VI and got a top 50 player to commit to Maryland.

And I'm sure he has some nice relationships from his time at Seton Hall.

Hell, hire Joey Rodriguez from FIU and make him wear Mason gear to spite the vcu fans. :D