Vote Of Confidence - Paul Hewitt 12/12/2014

Do you have confidence in Paul Hewitt as Head Coach of the Patriots at this time?

• Total voters

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
When Brady was in his fifth year at JMU, I seem to remember a lot of discussion from the TV color analysts (as well as the white ones!) about how unusual it was to have a coach coaching in their final year of a contract due to the impact on recruiting, player retention, etc. Anyone else remember that/or have knowledge on the 'industry standards' with these types of things?

Yes, it was a disaster for JMU because he couldn't recruit in the final year of his deal and they had a huge recruiting class to fill. Brady wound up signing several guys who aren't even CAA-level players.

Same thing is happening at Delaware, which refused to extend Ross after making the NCAAs last season. Hens lost their first 10 games before beating St. Bona tonight.

It's imperative not to have a lame duck coach. If Edwards/Cabrera aren't convinced that Hewitt deserves next season and at least two more, they absolutely have to cut him loose.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It's imperative not to have a lame duck coach. If Edwards/Cabrera aren't convinced that Hewitt deserves next season and at least two more, they absolutely have to cut him loose.

Jim, I completely agree with you on this concept, but I'd still rather Edwards wait it out rather than making a rash decision and extending Hewitt just to avoid losing a recruit or two. The good thing about where we are roster-wise is we are relying mostly on underclassmen. No offense to Corey and Gray, but replacing their production will not be nearly as tough as losing Wright and Allen.

Assuming most players stay even if there is a coaching change, we will only have two open scholarships. That is, of course, based on the huge assumption that Gilbert stays committed, but I'd even rather risk losing him if it means not extending Hewitt before the early signing period.

If Edwards decides to fire Hewitt at the end of the year, the new coach will still have a great nucleus of players to build around and ample time to fill the two or three scholarships (depending on Gilbert's decision). He could even choose to hold them another year rather than rushing to sign subpar players like Brady did.

Last edited:

wijg

Starter
Did anyone else notice the boards were down earlier this morning? It seems the Hewitt effect is spreading to the our IT as well, that it is not always fully functional on game day...;)

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim, I completely agree with you on this concept, but I'd still rather Edwards wait it out rather than making a rash decision and extending Hewitt just to avoid losing a recruit or two. The good thing about where we are roster-wise is we are relying mostly on underclassmen. No offense to Edwards and Gray, but replacing their production will not be nearly as tough as losing Wright and Allen.

Assuming most players stay even if there is a coaching change, we will only have two open scholarships. That is, of course, based on the huge assumption that Gilbert stays committed, but I'd even rather risk losing him if it means not extending Hewitt before the early signing period.

If Allen decides to fire Hewitt at the end of the year, the new coach will still have a great nucleus of players to build around and ample time to fill the two or three scholarships (depending on Gilbert's decision). He could eve chose to hold them another year rather than rushing to sign subpar players like Brady did.

Tom, I wasn't suggesting that Edwards should be in a rush to do anything.

My contention from the beginning has been that, if the decision is to give Hewitt more time, he needs an extension in place before the start of the summer recruiting swing.

And if the decision is to fire him, it should be done both before he collects the retention bonus and before other schools on our level fire their coaches. That will give Edwards time to do a thorough search, hire a new coach and get the new coach out on the summer recruiting trail.

They need to make the call one way or the other. The worst thing to do in our situation would be to send Hewitt into the final year of his deal without an extension.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
All valid points, Jim. I'm not really sure there is a great answer, because one way or another we will be in limbo with recruits unless he is extended either this season or next season.

My primary point is that it wouldn't kill us this year from a recruiting standpoint if he is fired in March or at the end of the season. Where we would really be hurt is if he is fired at the end of year five with four scholarships opening up (Holloway, Marko, Royal and Thompson). If Edwards knows Hewitt's not his guy, he needs to convince Cabrera to swallow the million bucks and cut bait after this season when the damage recruiting-wise would be much less severe.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
All valid points, Jim. I'm not really sure there is a great answer, because one way or another we will be in limbo with recruits unless he is extended either this season or next season.

My primary point is that it wouldn't kill us this year from a recruiting standpoint if he is fired in March or at the end of the season. Where we would really be hurt is if he is fired at the end of year five with four scholarships opening up (Holloway, Marko, Royal and Thompson). If Edwards knows Hewitt's not his guy, he needs to convince Cabrera to swallow the million bucks and cut bait after this season when the damage recruiting-wise would be much less severe.

You're a year behind on the recruiting schedule, Tom.

The class to replace our four juniors will be recruited this summer. And Hewitt will not be able to sign anyone of consequence if he goes into the summer as a lame duck.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
“It’s a huge opportunity for us,” Hewitt said. “We are playing better basketball. After our first four games, we’ve gotten better and better every game. I thought we played better against Manhattan (64-63); I thought we played well against Old Dominion (69-75); I thought we played well against Northern Iowa (65-71 OT).

The man is a delusional joke. He thinks we play well in losses, just what we need.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You're a year behind on the recruiting schedule, Tom.

My bad, Jim, you're right. I was thinking we had more time to replace that class with later signings, but the summer would be the ideal time to start filling those four spots.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=25200&ATCLID=209827509

(This was dated Dec 31st)

Entering the season, Paul Hewitt was “confident” his 2014 recruiting class would make significant contributions. Now that the non-conference schedule is coming to a close, Hewitt’s only complaint about the five-player class is that he doesn’t have access to all of them.

“Those guys have done a nice job,” the Mason coach says.

Two of the new players, center Shevon Thompson and guard Isaiah Jackson, are starting. Thompson, a 6-11 junior out of Jamaica and Harcum junior college, has been the starting center all season and is in just his fifth year of playing basketball.

The lefty is averaging a double double at 12.3 ppg and 11.7 rpg. “What can I tell you?” says Hewitt, complimentary of Thompson all season. “He just keeps it simple. Just simple. He rebounds the ball, catches it, keeps it high, finishes high. Plays hard all the time.”

wijg

Starter
From that article is this quote:

" The two players Hewitt originally figured could make the biggest impact, guard Eric Lockett and Therence Mayimba, haven’t been available."

It's like the old saying that the best players on the team are the ones that are currently injured. I can almost hear the excuses in the meeting with BE in a about two months. Well, 3 of our best players are the 3 guys from the 2014 class I recruited, imagine if the other 2, who are even better. were available...

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think BE has been around college and pro sports long enough to see right through those kind of excuses. But it absolutely makes sense for the school to try to maintain fan interest by publicly putting a positive spin on the situation.

gmuEX

Preferred Walk-On
Those who voted YES... Shevon's mom, Marquise Moore (same twitter name), possibly Jalen Jenkins (JJalen), and 4 ghost accounts.