Vote Of Confidence - Paul Hewitt 12/12/2014

Do you have confidence in Paul Hewitt as Head Coach of the Patriots at this time?

• Total voters

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Honestly, I think if Hewitt manages to have a winning season, maybe win a game or two in the A10 tourney, I think Edwards lets him stay one more. I just can't see a first year AD firing a coach on a winning season with 'progress' from the last season. Just my thoughts.

Just to be clear, it's the President (not the AD) who has the authority to fire Hewitt.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Just to be clear, it's the President (not the AD) who has the authority to fire Hewitt.

That's true, but surely the President would seek input from the AD on any personnel matter, especially on the coach of our highest profile sport. I'm thinking the same as Polepino on this---although we're still getting ahead of ourselves. A lot of the season remains......

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Honestly, I think if Hewitt manages to have a winning season, maybe win a game or two in the A10 tourney, I think Edwards lets him stay one more. I just can't see a first year AD firing a coach on a winning season with 'progress' from the last season. Just my thoughts.

I don't think we have to worry too much about this being a winning season, or if it is I would hope Edwards/Cabrera understand that the A10 isn't nearly as stacked this year as it was last year.

Harry

Starter
Let's hire Jon Gruden...if there is any hope in the world, he will join the long list of former Redskin coaches. (Sorry, can't help myself after the season-ending debacle to cap a debacle of a season.)

Pablo

Hall of Famer
That's true, but surely the President would seek input from the AD on any personnel matter, especially on the coach of our highest profile sport. I'm thinking the same as Polepino on this---although we're still getting ahead of ourselves. A lot of the season remains......

psyclone,

I don't believe that it's necessary for President Cabrera to seek input from the AD in this matter. Rather, I would expect AD Edwards to provide his assessment and recommendations with respect to the men's basketball coaching position upon the completion of the season (if not sooner) to President Cabrera.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that Cabrera is not a man who accepts mediocrity in sports. Interestingly, 3 coaches have resigned since he's been President: women's lacrosse, women's volleyball, & women's soccer.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Let's hire Jon Gruden...if there is any hope in the world, he will join the long list of former Redskin coaches. (Sorry, can't help myself after the season-ending debacle to cap a debacle of a season.)

You're thinking of Jay Gruden. Danny Boy couldn't convince the older brother to take over that train wreck.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
psyclone,

I don't believe that it's necessary for President Cabrera to seek input from the AD in this matter. Rather, I would expect AD Edwards to provide his assessment and recommendations with respect to the men's basketball coaching position upon the completion of the season (if not sooner) to President Cabrera.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that Cabrera is not a man who accepts mediocrity in sports. Interestingly, 3 coaches have resigned since he's been President: women's lacrosse, women's volleyball, & women's soccer.

Pablo,

Your comments are pretty much what I meant by seeking "input" from the AD. You may be right about Cabrera not seeking mediocrity in sports (or anything else for that matter). The 3 coach resignations might indeed be a sign of that, although I have no inside information on that. But might not the last 2 resignations be attributed to Edwards putting his stamp on the athletic dept?

wijg

Starter
psyclone,

Just for reference, where were those 3 coaches in their contract periods?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Just for reference, where were those 3 coaches in their contract periods?

I can't answer your question. But, I assume that Hewitt earns more on March 1st each year than each of these coaches was earning annually.

Last edited:

wijg

Starter
Because the process of hiring the women's lax coach is the same as hiring/firing the men's basketball coach???
No, just wondering if they were fired mid contract or if all of them were let go after their contracts ended. If we have waited for each of their contracts to expire, given how little their salaries are compared to Hewitt's, as Pablo points out, it might not bode well for the possibility of terminating Hewitt before the end of his contract. It could also mean nothing as they may not have wanted to expend additional money on one of our non-revenue sports.

On the other hand, if one or more was terminated before the end of their contract, it could possibly bode well as they are willing to spend money to improve a non-revenue sport, so doing it to improve Men's basketball might be more likely (if they even desired to do so).

It may have no bearing, though, but it is something to discuss here during the holiday lull, which was already dead before the lull due to the Hewitt effect. The only thing that keeps me interested in following Mason hoops at this point is the hope that there is a chance Hewitt will be fired at the end of the year, or sooner. So trying to read the tea leaves for signs hope provides some entertainment.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Well the volleyball coach has been here something like 20 years and has had success in the past, so that might tell you something.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Out of curiosity how many people would still support the program if PH is back for year 5? I know I'll still go to the games and be just as supportive of the program as in the past, although I'll admit I won't be as excited as during the Coach L years.

mason89

Starter
Well the volleyball coach has been here something like 20 years and has had success in the past, so that might tell you something.

I'm not sure it tells you much since the last four seasons have been abysmal after some pretty average or below average seasons before that. It's been awhile since the WVB team has been serious contenders for conference titles.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Out of curiosity how many people would still support the program if PH is back for year 5? I know I'll still go to the games and be just as supportive of the program as in the past, although I'll admit I won't be as excited as during the Coach L years.
It would really depend on what the team looks like over the next 3 months.

wijg

Starter
Out of curiosity how many people would still support the program if PH is back for year 5?
Absolutely not. If he is back, then one of two scenarios has taken place:

1. The AD wanted to fire him, but could not figure out where to find the money and decided to allow another year to be lost. It would mean the AD has little foresight and BE will have been a complete failure at raising/managing money if this turns out to be the case.

2. The other scenario is that the team shows some 'improvement' over last year in overall record, possibly only related to the A10 being down this year. The AD decides to see if the improvement is a trend and renews him (cuz you can't recruit with no contract, etc.). Then we are likely stuck with him for several more years.

I can sort of understand, and mostly tolerate having him back this year. But, I could not respect the AD any longer given either scenario above and would likely be gone for a very long time.

I hope the real scenario is that BE is a highly successful fundraiser, sees that Hewitt is not our guy, hires an awesome new coach and they work together for many successful years and both retire from Mason after many exciting achievements

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm not sure it tells you much since the last four seasons have been abysmal after some pretty average or below average seasons before that. It's been awhile since the WVB team has been serious contenders for conference titles.

Didn't they win the CAA in 2009?

And looking at her resignation bio, it's even deeper than I thought -- graduated from Mason in 1982, where she immediately became an assistant coach, became head coach in 1984. So she's been at Mason for 36 years.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
When Brady was in his fifth year at JMU, I seem to remember a lot of discussion from the TV color analysts (as well as the white ones!) about how unusual it was to have a coach coaching in their final year of a contract due to the impact on recruiting, player retention, etc. Anyone else remember that/or have knowledge on the 'industry standards' with these types of things?