Poll Vote of Confidence: Paul Hewitt (1/11)

Do you have confidence in Paul Hewitt as Head Coach of the Patriots at this time?

• Yes.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • No.

Votes: 39 78.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
There's some seriously unintentional humor in this post, you calling other G Mas fans "bush league."

Talking about the ones who would make an a** of themselves in public to denigrate a coach who only accepted the offer extended him by 2 old, dopey white dudes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think we all share concerns about our talented young guys leaving, but I look at this situation a little differently.

Yes, firing the coach could result in a mass exodus that would devastate the program. But on the flip side, we could conceivably hire a much better coach who could convince players/recruits to stay and significantly improve the product on the court.

There's risk either way.

But if we're pretty sure we're not going to be better than low- to mid-pack in the A10 the next 2 years by keeping the status quo, aren't we essentially wasting the rest of Holloway's eligibility (and most of Jalen's and Marquise's) anyhow?
I follow Jim's thinking here. I refuse to believe that one or two players are more important than the leader of the program. Does it really matter if Jenkins or Holloway stay if we're destined to finish 10th in the A10 for the next 2-3 years? You think anyone at GW is regretting losing Copes because of the firing of Karl Hobbs? And there were a decent of GW fans lobbying not to fire Hobbs to keep Copes there.

The man at the top is much more important to the long term success of the program than 1 or 2 current players or some incoming recruits.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Wel written and thoughtful comments. I'm not where you are on this just yet, but my question would be what exactly is #2? Right now the only thing I see from people who want to see something done is them coming up with cute names for our coach like we're in elementary school, repeatedly saying he failed in the ACC so he's going to fail here and circling like vultures everytime our subpar teams loses a game. And this is from 39 people based on the poll above. What course of action do you propose to ensure we have a bright future?

Not being sarcastic either, I just really don't know how a group goes about producing change to a program that to most outsiders looks like it's done pretty well over the last 2 years and has a built in excuse for underperformance this year (upgrade to a better conference).
99-Sorry to post that and disappear for hours.

To me, #2 is about first getting a large enough group of boosters together that are concerned about our current direction. I would like to see an organized group that is large enough to warrant the attention of those that can make a change. Then we let them know, as a group, that we are very concerned. The second part of #2 is not necessarily for us to provide the solution. While there have been many solutions thrown about around here, many that might even work, providing the solution is the job of the AD and/or coaching staff.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So, if you want to do what you can to help the Men's basketball program I suggest two courses of action that we as fans can take where we might actually have an impact:
1. Support the program by going to or watching games and by your continued donations to the program
2. Join those of us that are pushing to have something done to address the current downward trend in the program

I realized that my statement above could be interpreted different ways, so I wanted to clarify that I am recommending both courses of action, not one or the other.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I follow Jim's thinking here. I refuse to believe that one or two players are more important than the leader of the program. Does it really matter if Jenkins or Holloway stay if we're destined to finish 10th in the A10 for the next 2-3 years? You think anyone at GW is regretting losing Copes because of the firing of Karl Hobbs? And there were a decent of GW fans lobbying not to fire Hobbs to keep Copes there.

The man at the top is much more important to the long term success of the program than 1 or 2 current players or some incoming recruits.

Well to be fair to Copes and those GW fans who wanted him to stay, if he stays at GW does he get a cheap shot undercut (which wasn't even called a foul by the way) his freshman year and ruin his hip?

No excuse for the two suspensions the following two years, but we might be looking at a different player if that incident doesn't happen.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Well to be fair to Copes and those GW fans who wanted him to stay, if he stays at GW does he get a cheap shot undercut (which wasn't even called a foul by the way) his freshman year and ruin his hip?

No excuse for the two suspensions the following two years, but we might be looking at a different player if that incident doesn't happen.

I thought that Copes hurt his back in the Drexel game; and the hip surgery corrected a congenital problem. Am I mistaken?

gmuEX

Preferred Walk-On

I couldn't agree more, but it doesn't account for the fact that my grandmother with two surgerically replaced hips could body him down. The kid is softer than my Charmin Ultra Soft toilet paper.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Well, I think we can officially close this particular thread.

The final tally may say only 39 posters in the "No" column, but our fan base spoke loud and clear by its absence tonight.

Only a shade over 4K for the No. 16 team in the nation? Wow.

Hope you're paying attention, Senor Cabrera. We're just in the "apathy" phase right now; you don't want to see what comes next. It's not gonna be pretty.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

The final tally may say only 39 posters in the "No" column, but our fan base spoke loud and clear by its absence tonight.

Hope you're paying attention, Senor Cabrera. We're just in the "apathy" phase right now; you don't want to see what comes next. It's not gonna be pretty.

They might want to start considering moving the home games to the RAC if Hewitt is around for another two years.

That is horrendous, even for a mid-week game.

JimP

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

The attendance figure is sad indeed. I watched on TV, and the crowd did seem enthusiastic. Until the bitter end, that is.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Kinda funny that UMass fans are calling our fan base "pathetic" on their board for not having more than 4K for a ranked team.

Seems they've forgotten about the depths of awfulness they experienced during the Lappas years. Why am I not surprised?

Fans, like dogs, eventually learn to protect themselves if they get kicked in the gut often enough.

Our fan base has been kicked and kicked and kicked over the past 3 years, starting with L's departure and Luke's transfer. Judging by tonight's attendance, we're in full-on self-defense mode at this point.

Scythe

Starter
Start winning more, and the fans will show up. Sure they're ranked, but honestly many of the people I talked to had no idea UMass was ranked. Their "brand" isn't that well known apparently.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
How many UMass fans from the DC area made it out to watch their #16 ranked team?

The Great PATSby

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Kinda funny that UMass fans are calling our fan base "pathetic" on their board for not having more than 4K for a ranked team.

They shouldn't talk shit when they...A RANKED TEAM only had 4,600 for their last Wed. game last week against St. Joes, a more reputable basketball school than us.

Students don't come back until the 21st. Imagine how loud it would have been last night with students back. Last nights 39 minutes of enthusiasm is something I wish we could see every game.

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The crowd obviously wasn't as big as I would have liked, but I have to say it was a very vocal 4,000 fans. It was nice to have some energy like that in the building again. Everybody in my section was screaming, high-fiving and fist-bumping for 39 minutes. I left a bit early to beat traffic, but I'm assuming we held on for the win, right?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed on the energy of the crowd. Haven't had that much fun at a game since the vcu game in 2012. Im glad that Mason is in the A-10 and there are other games that will probably yield that much energy (and heart attacks). And if Mason ever starts winning again, it'll even be better.