VA To Limit Subsidies To ADs: How Does it Affect Mason

wijg

Starter
NOTE: Fortunately, Pablo has pointed out the error that I was hoping someone would find. We are actually classified as a D-I AAA (first time I had heard of the term). So my post below is mostly moot, but will leave it here to preserve the discussion.

We have touched on this in other threads, but I thought this topic deserved some attention of its own.

There is a bill in the VA legislature that is likely to become law that severely limits the amount VA schools can subsidize their athletic departments. As of today, the House has passed it unanimously, the Senate passed a slightly different version unanimously and there is now a vote scheduled on the calendar back in the House. The differences don’t seem to be significant enough to stop something that has had unanimous support to this point. So, it looks like it will become law if the Governor does not decide to veto it, which I would think is unlikely. Here is a link to information about the bill:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=151&typ=bil&val=HB1897

The portions that affect Mason the most for those that don’t enjoy reading legislation as much as I do:

The subsidy percentage shall not exceed:
55 percent for NCAA Division I-A institutions affiliated with conferences other than the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big Ten Conference, Big 12 Conference, Pac-12 Conference, or Southeastern Conference.

When necessary, each institution shall submit to the Governor and the General Assembly for approval a plan that reduces the subsidy in accordance with targets outlined in the plan over a five-year period until the subsidy percentage complies with the requirements of subsection C.

Using latest numbers I can find for the Mason AD budget (2013):

Total Revenue: $22,262,650
Subsidy: $17,285,334
Subsidy percent: 77.64%

So that means within five years, we will have to drop our subsidy from 77.64% to 55%

To get to 55% we have to reduce our subsidy amount significantly. Unfortunately, as our subsidy drops, our revenue drops by the same amount, meaning we have to cut a lot more than you might think (at least a lot more than I originally did). Holding non-subsidy revenue steady (which might not be true since we may have dropped over the last two years) here is where we would be in year 5 if I reduce revenue by the same amount (in this case $11,200,000) until the subsidy is down to a 55% subsidy:

Total Revenue: $11,062,650
Subsidy: $6,085,334
Subsidy percent: 55.01%

I hope I have done something horribly wrong here, because, if not, it is about to get really ugly. If I have it right, though, some things to note:
  • That is a cut of just over 50% in our AD budget.
  • Cutting down to just the # of sports required by the NCAA is not going to get us even close to the $11M we would need to reduce our budget by.
  • In this environment where we have more student fees than Mason is allowed spend on athletics, it makes donations, ticket sales (and other revenue generators) worth more than double their face value, like a multiplier. For example, if someone gives $1,000, the AD can then subsidize with an additional $1,225 and keep the subsidy ratio at 55%.
  • I hope BE has some rabbits he is about to pull out of his hat from a funding standpoint
  • This does not include revenues from the A10 which should help significantly (again more than doubling if you use the subsidy that opens up)
  • It does not account for any drop in ticket sales or donations from 2013 to this season, which seems like a distinct possibility
  • We may, sadly, need to become a guarantee game type school as one game paying us $100k would net the AD budget an additional $223k total when you factor in the multiplier
  • This puts Mason (and vcu) at a significant disadvantage with the rest of the A10
  • For some reason, ODU is getting preferential treatment and classified as a DI-AA school (70% subsidy) until 2020 at which point they will have to be at the same 55% as us.
  • This seems to hurt us the most (at least the schools I can think of off the top of my head) given where our fundraising currently is and the fact that ODU is receiving special treatment.
  • Ironically, it might be in our best interest to start a DI-AA football team before this goes into effect (probably too late) as it would raise our subsidy level to 70% assuming we get the same special treatment that ODU is getting.

Last edited:

psyclone

Hall of Famer
If ODU has to get to 55% by 2020, how is that any different than Mason getting to 55% in the next 5 yrs?

OP
W

wijg

Starter
If ODU has to get to 55% by 2020, how is that any different than Mason getting to 55% in the next 5 yrs?
The way I read it is that they have to be at 70% in 2020 and then would have another 5 years to get to 55%

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Wouldn't affect Richmond, I would think

Private school, so no. This would only affect state funded schools. Richmond doesn't even have to report their revenues.

I'm wondering why they exempted the power conference schools? According to USA Today, UVA's sports subsidy was 15.5 percent in 2013 and Tech's was 11.26. The school where I work (a PAC 12 school) has a 0 percent subsidy. It's not like these big schools need an exemption.

My guess is some sports are going to get the ax -- wrestling, men's volleyball, men's golf, cross country, men's tennis and swimming and diving are all on the chopping block if this passes.

OP
W

wijg

Starter
Private school, so no. This would only affect state funded schools. Richmond doesn't even have to report their revenues.

I'm wondering why they exempted the power conference schools? According to USA Today, UVA's sports subsidy was 15.5 percent in 2013 and Tech's was 11.26. The school where I work (a PAC 12 school) has a 0 percent subsidy. It's not like these big schools need an exemption.

My guess is some sports are going to get the ax -- wrestling, men's volleyball, men's golf, cross country, men's tennis and swimming and diving are all on the chopping block if this passes.
They did not exempt them, I just did not put their clause in there since it did not affect Mason. The power conferences are limited to a 20% subsidy, so it is not hurting them, just a token enforcement to make it look like they are doing something.

OP
W

wijg

Starter
More recent numbers (2014) are here -- looks like it's down from 77% to 75%:

http://www.apa.virginia.gov/reports/GMUNCAA14.pdf
Thanks for the updated numbers. Taking a quick look at them, there are a couple things I noticed:

• Total revenue is down, as suspected. More than $100k in ticket sales.
  • Camp revenue down by almost $10k. Again, not surprising
  • The primary drop in our subsidy was that direct subsidy from school reduced by about $1.5M, but we ran a deficit of $618k for the year. That kind of trickery helped our subsidy number, but can't imagine it can work for long

OP
W

wijg

Starter
How are you calculating these numbers? The Schedule of Revenues and Expenses shows revenues of $21,014,697 and expenses of $21,633,368. How do you calculate the subsidy?

Subsidy = Student Fees + Direct institutional support =

Divided by:

Total Revenues: 21,014,697

Equals: Subsidy Percent = 75.6%

I'm confused - isn't Mason classified D-IAAA (i.e., not to exceed 78% subsidy)?

Mason and vcu are both D-1 AAA (non-football sponsoring), meaning both are not to exceed 78% as you said.

Division I non-football schools
Several Bowl Subdivision and Championship Subdivision conferences have member institutions that do not compete in football. Such schools are sometimes unofficially referred to as I-AAA.[59]

OP
W

wijg

Starter
So, the fact that this appears to not affect us, it makes this much less interesting. But, one thing I find interesting, I am assuming this won't affect many institutions, since I would have expected us to be one of the closest to having a problem, and ODU likely had one until they were exempted.

So what is the purpose of this legislation? I guess it contains the student fees, slightly, to prevent them from skyrocketing, but how much does it actually do? That might explain why it has had unanimous support in the legislature, since really doesn't seem to affect anyone.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So, the fact that this appears to not affect us, it makes this much less interesting. But, one thing I find interesting, I am assuming this won't affect many institutions, since I would have expected us to be one of the closest to having a problem, and ODU likely had one until they were exempted.

So what is the purpose of this legislation? I guess it contains the student fees, slightly, to prevent them from skyrocketing, but how much does it actually do? That might explain why it has had unanimous support in the legislature, since really doesn't seem to affect anyone.

It might stop someone like, say, George Mason from starting a football program. Or JMU or Liberty jumping from 1-aa to 1-a, at least without a plan to pay for it without doing what ODU did (which was essentially double their student fees).

OP
W

wijg

Starter
I'm confused - isn't Mason classified D-IAAA (i.e., not to exceed 78% subsidy)?
Thanks for pointing that out. I was totally confused by the way they classified D I-A schools by being in a power conference and non-power conference. I was having a hell of a time figuring out how in the world we would comply.

I have put a note at the top of my original post so others don't have the same heart attack I was having...

Harry

Starter
Subsidy = Student Fees + Direct institutional support =

Divided by:

Total Revenues: 21,014,697

Equals: Subsidy Percent = 75.6%
Thanks! I never realized that student fees are the main source of athletic revenue--by a lot! $14,355,199 of $21,014,697 which is 68 percent.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
Phew! - For a minute there, I thought A.-Siegfried was going to lose the green-and-gold Ferrari and the membership to Congressional.