Trey Porter

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
It was good to see that Coach Hewitt had the confidence in freshman forward Trey Porter to play him in the Princeton game down the stretch with the game on the line. In the post-game press conference, Hewitt said that regardless of the injury to Erik Copes he planned to play Trey in this game because he brings energy and makes momentum-changing plays.

With 3 blocked shots yesterday, I am looking forward to watching him for 4 seasons.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It was good to see that Coach Hewitt had the confidence in freshman forward Trey Porter to play him in the Princeton game down the stretch with the game on the line. In the post-game press conference, Hewitt said that regardless of the injury to Erik Copes he planned to play Trey in this game because he brings energy and makes momentum-changing plays.

With 3 blocked shots yesterday, I am looking forward to watching him for 4 seasons.

Prediction: If Porter stays at Mason for 4 years, he'll graduate as our all-time shot blocker.

He has excellent timing and is very quick off his feet. In addition to his blocks against Princeton, there were 3 or 4 other shots where he just barely missed.

As with all the young guys, hope he really enjoys being at Mason. I guess we'll see.

wijg

Starter
Prediction: If Porter stays at Mason for 4 years, he'll graduate as our all-time shot blocker.
Hopefully he succeeds at this more so than the last guy people were making that prediction for.

I know, he looks very different, just saying...

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Hopefully he succeeds at this more so than the last guy people were making that prediction for.

If Porter stays healthy and away from the ganja, he'll be fine.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Well, despite missing some significant playing time his freshman season after being undercut against Drexel, being suspended to start both his sophomore and junior seasons and missing who knows how many games this year after injuring his shoulder, Copes is 4th all-time in blocked shots at Mason.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I really have to wonder about Hewitt's decision not to red-shirt Copes for his sophomore season, after the hip injury. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

wijg

Starter
Well, despite missing some significant playing time his freshman season after being undercut against Drexel, being suspended to start both his sophomore and junior seasons and missing who knows how many games this year after injuring his shoulder, Copes is 4th all-time in blocked shots at Mason.
What's your point? He still will not come close to being number 1 one on the list as was the prediction for Copes and now for Porter. Copes is a great shot blocker when he is on the floor, but.... he needs roughly 100 blocks in a little more than 25 games. So he needs to average about 4 a game. I doubt he comes close to that. He is not even on pace to make it to the number 3 spot.

So, as I stated before, I hope that Porter is more successful than Copes at becoming the all time leader in shot blocks.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
By the way, at the post-game press conference, Hewitt said that Copes is currently day-to-day but that he's having an MRI today. I hadn't seen anything elsewhere about how long he'll be out.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Easily my favorite freshman (jury out on Terence obviously), but to me he has about as high a ceiling as any freshman we've had. He has a lot of learning ahead of him, but I think I already trust him on the floor more than any of our junior or senior big men.

As for the blocks, I agree he has a chance to set the record at Mason. Great timing, quick leaper and has the ability to help off his man as well as block his own mans shot.

Harry

Starter
At this point, I think Shevon is farther along than Trey, at least offensively. While Trey may not be a great foul shooter, at least he did not have the hat trick of Shevon. But overall, I think both bigs will contribute a lot this year.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
With his 4 blocked shots in the Catawba game, Trey Porter now has 10 in 8 games played (1.25 bpg). He's averaging a blocked shot every 11.1 minutes of play.

Trey is also shooting a team-high 58.3% (14-24) from the floor & 70.8% (17-24) from the FT line.

Last edited:

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Not trying to be a d#ck but every team has a high scorer, leading rebounder, assist leader, etc. We are reduced to promoting stats of individual players on a team with 2 legitimate wins, one of those on a 75 foot prayer. Sad. Do I think Trey has potential? Absolutely. Not ready to proclaim him the second coming of George Evans/Will Thomas because he blocked 4 shots against a bunch of DII players. Again, not minimizing his potential, just sick of celebrating individual accomplishments on a team that just isn't very good. Last time I checked it was a team game and the only stat that mattered was wins and losses. This season and last have made me so negative, I hate it. Wrong thread perhaps?

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Not trying to be a d#ck but every team has a high scorer, leading rebounder, assist leader, etc. We are reduced to promoting stats of individual players on a team with 2 legitimate wins, one of those on a 75 foot prayer. Sad. Do I think Trey has potential? Absolutely. Not ready to proclaim him the second coming of George Evans/Will Thomas because he blocked 4 shots against a bunch of DII players. Again, not minimizing his potential, just sick of celebrating individual accomplishments on a team that just isn't very good. Last time I checked it was a team game and the only stat that mattered was wins and losses. This season and last have made me so negative, I hate it. Wrong thread perhaps?

I don't see the harm in shining a light on a particular player's stats when they are notable. It doesn't mean that those numbers are more important than the team's records. But as a way of supporting our players, we should note their strengths and the contributions they are making.

Continuing to harp on the negative (admittedly a big negative) runs the risk of not valuing the few bright spots that do exist.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Despite averaging just 14.0 minutes per game, Trey is 152nd in D-I in blocked shots per game (1.44) for games through 12/20/14. Trey has a team-high 13 blocked shots in 9 games played.

He's also shooting a team-high 60.0% from the floor (15-25).

Last edited:

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Despite averaging just 14.0 minutes per game, Trey is 152nd in D-I in blocked shots per game (1.44) for games through 12/20/14. Trey has a team-high 13 blocked shots in 9 games played.

He's also shooting a team-high 60.0% from the floor (15-25).

No doubt he's a presence on defense, almost like a hockey goaltender. I remember reading about Bill Russell back in the day who said after he got good blocking shots, he worked on blocking them so that teammates could retrieve them rather than knocking them out of bounds. Maybe Trey will eventually develop that skill too!