Top Talent on Roster

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
At the start of the season I'd have said Holloway w/the expectation that Jenkins would overtake him by the end of the season.

Last week I would have said Shevon Thompson and I'm not so sure it's still not the case w/his impact under both baskets, but with three 20+ outings in his last 4 games, Marquise Moore is making a case.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
IMO, the player who has displayed the most athleticism & basketball skills this season has been Trey Porter. How can you not like his shooting touch & shot blocking ability?

OP
Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
IMO, the player who has displayed the most athleticism & basketball skills this season has been Trey Porter. How can you not like his shooting touch & shot blocking ability?

I think he's got a huge upside, and agree on touch and blocking. I wouldn't say top talent currently on roster right now for a player that's had 2, 0, 5, & 1 in his last 4 games against D1 opponents and not more than 3 boards.

Not a knock against him - he's got future star written all over him as long as his development isn't stunted like Marko's.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Its actually a really good thing that we all can't agree on who is the top talent on the roster. As the season has progressed, I think its obvious that there is a lot of talent on this team and each of the talent brings something needed to the table.

For example:

Porter and Thompson bring the height and athleticism to alter and block shots in the lane. Just their presence alone causes alteration. Obviously Thompson has developed very very quickly as he can score and he grabs just about every rebound in sight.

Jackson has quickly become a "glue guy". He shoots free throws well (6 of 6 on Saturday vs Iona), he helps the offense move, he breaks presses, he plays solid defense, and he can shoot from deep (7 of 14 from 3). I don't think he has ran the point yet, but I'm interested to see what he can do in that role.

Moore has the ability to get others involved, create for himself, and slash to the hoop. He also has a nice mid range jump shot (while ugly), and shoots free throws well.

Even a guy like Marko, who struggles on defense against quicker opponents, offers the ability to break presses, move the offense, set screens, and helps rebound.

I'd love to see Jenkins get going but he does help with rebounding, and breaking presses. I do like Holloway off the bench as a offensive supplement. When he is relied upon, he does try a bit too much IMO.

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I think that you really have to give Hewitt some credit for the way he gives freshmen quality PT. Isaiah Jackson is already a starter and Porter has started. And, more importantly, he's not afraid to use them to finish close games.

With Larranaga, I'm guessing that he would have gone to a small lineup down the stretch rather than insert a freshman big man right out of high school like Porter.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think that you really have to give Hewitt some credit for the way he gives freshmen quality PT. Isaiah Jackson is already a starter and Porter has started. And, more importantly, he's not afraid to use them to finish close games.

With Larranaga, I'm guessing that he would have gone to a small lineup down the stretch rather than insert a freshman big man right out of high school like Porter.

I don't give Hewitt credit for being willing to play young guys because he has no other choice.

The way so many of our guys have regressed under his tutelage, Hewitt needs to get something out of them while he can.

If Hewitt's players actually got better with age like Larranagas did (*generally), we wouldn't need freshmen to step in and play key minutes right away.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
If Hewitt's players actually got better with age like Larranagas did (*generally), we wouldn't need freshmen to step in and play key minutes right away.

I'm certainly glad that you wrote "generally", so I don't need to respond.

wijg

Starter
I think that you really have to give Hewitt some credit for the way he gives freshmen quality PT.
Jim nailed my thoughts on giving Hewitt credit for playing the young guys.

I'll give Hewitt credit for recruiting them, though.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm certainly glad that you wrote "generally", so I don't need to respond.

There are exceptions to every rule, obviously, but other than Birdsong, I'm having trouble recalling any Larranaga players who have regressed as badly from their freshman season as many guys have under Hewitt.

Feel free to chime in with others.

JamesMason

Preferred Walk-On
There are exceptions to every rule, obviously, but other than Birdsong, I'm having trouble recalling any Larranaga players who have regressed as badly from their freshman season as many guys have under Hewitt.

Even Chris Fleming got better!

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Obviously, Leighton Henry & Makan Konate never improved under Larranaga, but I'm not even sure John Wooden could have turned them into D-I basketball players. Three players with potential who never progressed here IMO were "Q" Randall, Jesus Urbina, & Vlad Moldoveanu. They all left Mason before completing their eligibility: Randall & Moldoveanu transferred to Northeastern & AU respectively, & Urbina turned pro.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jesse Young and Mark Davis come to mind as guys who regressed.

Was that really regression or simply failing to live up to high expectations?

If it's the latter we're talking about, the list gets much longer. Even Folarin Campbell was considered a disappointment by some because he didn't have great junior or senior seasons.

But I'm talking about guys who actually perform worse as time goes along. Unfortunately Jenkins seems headed down this path -- hopefully he can turn it around.

Dawgs99

Starter
Jim you may be right, those 2 guys just jumped into my mind as guys who never really "arrived" before their time was done at Mason.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Jesse got better from his freshman year to his senior year. He averaged double digits last two years

Actually, Jesse's junior season when he was 1st Team All-CAA was superior to his senior season. But, I certainly wouldn't blame Larranaga, particularly after Jesse was suspended early in his senior season.

I would include Nsilo Abraham as a player who didn't improve under Larranaga. Nsilo left the program before completing his eligibility to student teach.