News Throwback Thursday: George Evans, Patriots almost knock off the Terps in 2001 NCAAs

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You are correct! Mason's victory over Tennessee in the opening round of the 2004 NIT (Mason defeated Austin Peay in the first round and then lost to Oregon in the second round) was Larranaga's first postseason victory. This was in Larranaga's 20th season as a head coach (18th in D-I).

Gotcha - I had those NIT W's reversed.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Those NIT W's were a lot of fun, I participated in the rushing of the Court just to get across the stadium faster to get in the Patriot Club and down some celebratory beers!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sigh. Reliving NIT and almost wins in the NCAA. Look what we have become.

I didn't realize at one point we were a basketball powerhouse going on deep runs in the tournament every year.

I'm pretty sure we've won 5 total NCAA games in our history, 4 of which were in one season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I didn't realize at one point we were a basketball powerhouse going on deep runs in the tournament every year.

I'm pretty sure we've won 5 total NCAA games in our history, 4 of which were in one season.

It's about perspective mixed with hope. We rose from the ashes in 1999 with some Cuban guy as coach. Sweeping ODU that year felt like we won NCAA title. It was good enough for me. The NCAA tourney game vs Cincy, was so foreign to us as GMU fans, we didn't know what to except, until the first 5 mins we received our cold welcome to the big time. From that year on it was steady upticks, with minor bumps. In 2004 the Cuban got his first post season win. Two years later we went on a magical run. Two years later, we got smacked by Notre Dame. Three years later we were ranked and beat Villanova. One year later our program took a nose dive and is once again turning to ashes. We have been one lucky program. Saved by a Cuban. Imagine that, a Cuban. How ironic.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's about perspective mixed with hope. We rose from the ashes in 1999 with some Cuban guy as coach. Sweeping ODU that year felt like we won NCAA title. It was good enough for me. The NCAA tourney game vs Cincy, was so foreign to us as GMU fans, we didn't know what to except, until the first 5 mins we received our cold welcome to the big time. From that year on it was steady upticks, with minor bumps. In 2004 the Cuban got his first post season win. Two years later we went on a magical run. Two years later, we got smacked by Notre Dame. Three years later we were ranked and beat Villanova. One year later our program took a nose dive and is once again turning to ashes. We have been one lucky program. Saved by a Cuban. Imagine that, a Cuban. How ironic.

I hear you, but it's no excuse to belittling our old teams who built the program. The UMD almost win is important, the 2004 NIT mini run is important.

I would also say it's not all bad right now. We raised over a million dollars last season. That's about 400 percent more than we raised in 2005.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
No doubt there are great entities within the university that you can credit for that increase. The bball program is not one. It can be one day bc of Edwards.

GMUSig03

All-Conference

Those 4 came in a 10 day period