News Throwback Thursday: George Evans, Patriots almost knock off the Terps in 2001 NCAAs

Robot

Administrator
Posted on the MasonHoops.com Blog:

"Throwback Thursday: George Evans, Patriots almost knock off the Terps in 2001 NCAAs" by Chris Metsala

If you had told any Mason fan that Lonnie Baxter and Terrence Morris, Maryland’s two formidable big men would be held to 6 points combined, most wouldn’t have believed you. If you told those fans that George Evans would have 27 points, Erik Herring would go for 19, and Jesse Young 12, they would […]

Continue reading...

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Watched it on a big screen in the Bistro. So..........very...........close. Still remember Gary Williams' look of terror, sweating through his suit. What a splash it would have made with the local media at a time when George Evans' age and military career was about the only time Mason was covered in the press.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was living in NoVa at the time and made my way to the Bistro too for that game. Place was rocking and that game really turned me into a GMU fan.

polepino

Starter
I wasn't in classes that semester, was working retail and working my first year at the pat center as an usher, I had an early morning stocking at the retail place and got off in time enough to go home and watch the game. Watching the game as an usher had already kind of hooked me but watching the game on tv in the national tourney cemented me as a lifelong fan and began my hate for the Terps under Gary Williams.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I wasn't in classes that semester, was working retail and working my first year at the pat center as an usher, I had an early morning stocking at the retail place and got off in time enough to go home and watch the game. Watching the game as an usher had already kind of hooked me but watching the game on tv in the national tourney cemented me as a lifelong fan and began my hate for the Terps under Gary Williams.

I certainly have never been a big fan of Gary, particularly during his tenure at Maryland. I often took great pleasure at seeing him suffer on the sidelines as I actively rooted against the Terps. But, much to my surprise, I found that his Q&A on Sportstalk 980 to be rather informative and, dare I say, engaging.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I certainly have never been a big fan of Gary, particularly during his tenure at Maryland. I often took great pleasure at seeing him suffer on the sidelines as I actively rooted against the Terps. But, much to my surprise, I found that his Q&A on Sportstalk 980 to be rather informative and, dare I say, engaging.

Agreed. Particularly when he talked about youth development and the importance of teaching a kid all five positions even if they are a "big."

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm all for TBT, but why not a game we won instead of one we almost one?

I actually don't mind this TBT selection. Yes, it was a loss - but this game went a long way in proving GMU could play with the big boys under the right direction. It got me as excited about the direction of the program under Larranaga as I am depressed about its' direction under Hewitt.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Or the Notre Dame game. Or the Penn State NIT game. Or the Oregon NIT game.

Yeah - those losses sucked, but what I wouldn't give right now for a season that led to an embarrassing loss in the NCAA's or NIT. Not sure the Oregon game belongs there. Wasn't that game the culmination of a nice run in the NIT tourney? Home wins against Austin Peay and Tennessee that were pretty satisfying in my humble opinion.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Scooter and the Vols

You are correct! Mason's victory over Tennessee in the opening round of the 2004 NIT (Mason defeated Austin Peay in the first round and then lost to Oregon in the second round) was Larranaga's first postseason victory. This was in Larranaga's 20th season as a head coach (18th in D-I).