Therence Mayimba

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
No.....he took a red shirt. Therence should have all 4 years left.

Did he take a redshirt, or is he classified as a non-qualifier? If it's the latter, see http://ucirvine.prestosports.com/inside_uci/compliance/future/ncaa_clearinghouse_faqs:

"Non-qualifier:
Ineligible for athletically-related financial aid, practice and competition during your first year at a NCAA member institution.
You have 4 years to play 3 seasons in your sport if you maintain your eligibility from year to year.*
* Non-qualifiers have the ability to gain back a year of eligibility if they complete at least 80 percent of their degree prior to the beginning of their fifth year of college."

Dawgs99

Starter
It was reported that he was redshirting...I could be wrong. It does seem strange that he was not allowed to practice with the team last season. It would be a real shame for him to lose out on time due to transcript issues. Kid will for sure help us next year if he is cleared.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
It was reported that he was redshirting...I could be wrong. It does seem strange that he was not allowed to practice with the team last season. It would be a real shame for him to lose out on time due to transcript issues. Kid will for sure help us next year if he is cleared.

See http://davidelfinonsports.com/second-straight-down-year-has-masons-hewitt-on-hot-seat/:

"However, Mayimba, a 6-foot-7 native of Gabon, never became eligible because of issues with his foreign transcript while the 6-5 Lockett played in just five games before suffering a season-ending knee injury."

Dawgs99

Starter
I'm not debating if he was eligible or not, I think that is widely understood. Hopefully he is on track academically and will be able to earn his degree and play all 4 years.

And the comparison for Mike Morrison missing the final couple of weeks and Mayimba missing in middle of the semester are ridiculous. They aren't close to being the same thing. One, a senior, finishing out his school. The other, a freshman, trying to maintain grades.

It isn't even close to the same.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
And the comparison for Mike Morrison missing the final couple of weeks and Mayimba missing in middle of the semester are ridiculous. They aren't close to being the same thing. One, a senior, finishing out his school. The other, a freshman, trying to maintain grades.

It isn't even close to the same.

Unless you are Mayimba's academic advisor, I seriously doubt that you are knowledgeable enough to pass judgment in this matter. Frankly, I would hope that Mason provided the academic support to facilitate Mayimba's participation on his country's senior national team.

So you honest think a senior that has been in school for 3.5 years isn't more qualified to handle his final few weeks of school via remote....than a freshman in just his second semester leaving right around mid terms?

You can't be serious.

Therence if you are reading this thread my luggage was ransacked in 2000 when I visited Gabon and half the stuff was stolen out of it at the airport. If you see anyone with a Wisconsin T-shirt playing soccer that is my T-Shirt...I need it back because Wisconsin is totally awesome now.

Also if there is anyone paler than the average Gabonian on the Jr. National Team I am probably his Dad. Tell him I said hi and teach him to hate Jeff Jones.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't know if this reflects an official change in his eligibility, but Therence Mayimba is listed as a redshirt freshman on gomason.com's 2015-16 roster - see http://www.gomason.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=25200&SPID=80389&SPSID=606518&DB_OEM_ID=25200.

The fact that he remains on the roster after it was updated to reflect the outgoing transfers cannot be a bad thing.

I'd have to think if his eligibility situation was still unresolved at this point, he'd be gone by either his choice or the coaching staff's.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It may not translate into major minutes right away, but if Mayimba is eligible he might be the best pure athlete in the A-10.

Considering that DP helped Mike Muscala get to the NBA, I can't wait to see what he can do with a 6-7 leaper who hasn't even begun to scratch the surface of his ability.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It may not translate into major minutes right away, but if Mayimba is eligible he might be the best pure athlete in the A-10.

Considering that DP helped Mike Muscala get to the NBA, I can't wait to see what he can do with a 6-7 leaper who hasn't even begun to scratch the surface of his ability.

Who else is going to start on the other wing? I suppose he has to compete with Murrell and Abram for playing time.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Also, consider how much a difference a year makes in terms of our roster and roles:

PGs: Moore, Livingston
SG: Holloway, Murrell
SF: Mayimba, Abram
PF: Jekins, Gujanicic, Royal
C: Thompson, Dixon